Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WHAT about JakeY!!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
McGhee wants to sign striker
by Andy Naylor

Albion manager Mark McGhee today revealed plans to sign another nippy striker.

McGhee wants to add a forward in the same mould as Leon Knight to his squad before the transfer deadline later this month.

Chris McPhee has played a bit-part in the Seagulls' last two matches but he is short of match fitness following five months out and McGhee wants to make sure he is well-covered for the Championship run-in.

"We still would like another option as a striker, another quick one as an alternative to Leon, although Chris is on his way back," McGhee said.

"He is still a few weeks away. We had him in on Sunday morning running, so we are getting him up to speed.

"Unfortunately we lost a week last week because of the weather and at the beginning of last week Chris was feeling his foot a bit, so we eased off him."

WHAT about JakeY!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Molango is injured and MM doesn't feel Jakey is ready yet.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
rumple_leg_4.jpg

not sure how he could round the keeper on a 1 on 1!!!!!:lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I haven't seen McGhee talk Jake down once in the press.
Jake himself says he needs the experience. of being out on loan.

He was given a chance at Reading and he has been on the bench for first team games so he isn't being ignored and McGhee knows what he is doing.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Id ignore Desert Orchid, he was saying Jake should have been in the 1st team well over a year ago.

If he went to Reading or West Ham hed be in the youth team and reserves for at least another 2-3 years. HEs only a teenager, and an underdeveloped one at that. When hes matured enough he'll play, IF hes good enough.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The comments I've heard from sources unconnected to the club tend to agree with McGhees assessment i.e. he's abit lightweight at the moment.
I think McGhees doing the right thing, sending him out on loan to toughen him up. A summer in the gym wouldn't go amiss either.

david

Feb 5, 2004
London
Look at Leon's performance against First Division teams and Second Division ones. That tells you something about the gulf between these two leagues. So Jake's performance in the conference needs to be viewed with some perspective. That said, if McGhee gets him to bulk up the same way he's managed to get McPhee to, he could turn into the striker everyone hopes he is.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
david said:
Look at Leon's performance against First Division teams and Second Division ones. That tells you something about the gulf between these two leagues. So Jake's performance in the conference needs to be viewed with some perspective. That said, if McGhee gets him to bulk up the same way he's managed to get McPhee to, he could turn into the striker everyone hopes he is.

To be honest, I think Leon's played better the second half of this season than that of last season, although obviously the goals haven't been as forthcoming. If Robinson was ready, he'd be playing, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he should be. He's only 18, anyway.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
To be honest, I think Leon's played better the second half of this season than that of last season, although obviously the goals haven't been as forthcoming. If Robinson was ready, he'd be playing, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he should be. He's only 18, anyway.

I agree with that. I think half the problem with Robinson is certain people on here have built him up to be the next Messiah and then people who have barely seen him play have gone with that and so built him up more.

I do hope he makes it, we never seem to produce anything other than defenders and defensive midfielders, but give the lad time and do not be that shocked if it does not work out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A day or two back, I had a look at an Aldershot forum that someone posted up here.

There was a thread where people were discussing their starting 11 from their current players. In most cases they were not placing Robinson in their starting 11 but gave him a place on the bench. And this is after his 3 in 3 form...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Bozza said:
A day or two back, I had a look at an Aldershot forum that someone posted up here.

There was a thread where people were discussing their starting 11 from their current players. In most cases they were not placing Robinson in their starting 11 but gave him a place on the bench. And this is after his 3 in 3 form...

I am guessing that was pressuming that D'Sane was fit?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Bozza said:

errr... did they say why they wouldn't start him? ???

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Robinson is clearly rubbish.

He couldn't even score for Aldershot last night.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Uncle Buck said:
Is it possible that maybe he is not ready yet, hence being out on loan or possibly he might not be as good as everyone says?
Spot on, its starting to turn into the predictability it can often be with a player who is extremely lightweight, DO kids himself that another top flight club will come in for him, when I have seen him this season outwith the first team this season has hardly been awe inspiring, and particularly his lack of ability to hold defenders off is not promising, this has also been pointed out on an Aldershot forum, maybe he will improve, but time is running out on him to 'bulk out' he certainly hasnt appeared to have over the last year or so.

Fans of any club soon get tired of a striker who spends more time on the ground than on his feet:jester:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here