Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Stand Upper

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I was in Row O and as Beach Hut says, it was cooking up a storm up there! Good atmosphere when everyone joined in but a lot of "newbies" who didn't know the words to songs or who were Spurs fans.
It's going to absolutely ROCK though.

Spot on. Lots of 'new faces', one off's, spurs and some people that look like they would never ever sing...ever.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hang on, were you sitting next to me??

I was about to post a very similar comment as I was also front row, block I, so very close to the noisy northstanders.

I don't know what it was like at the other end of the WSU but I thought our end gave a decent enough account of itself, considering the nature of the game. There were some moments where the back and forth between north stand and WSU was seriously working a treat but as has been said already there were plenty of fans just there for the day out who perhaps aren't entirely indicative of the regular STHs.

All in all I'd say it looks promising and it certainly wasn't quiet and boring.

As regards the heat, it was certainly warm although we were right at the front and I'd imagine it got hotter the further back you went. Still, not likely to be a problem too often

200 mate - up to 205 or so were our lot - there was noise coming from a lot of the front row so all v good! It did seem to work when a few of us turned round (STANDING UP BRIEFLY!) to get the rest of the stand behind going.

mikeyd

Jul 11, 2011
Worthing
quite agree north stand was fantastic, west upper was very quiet second half, got to get more passion out of them, but how ?. Think as Roy Keane
would have said they're the prawn sandwich brigade.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
you taking the piss !!!think the west stand upper didnt even try today,and was loud

You see, here's the problem. I genuinely didn't hear a peep out of the West (upper or lower) until late on in the second half. It was EMBARRASSINGLY quiet. And yet you and others have said it was noisy in there (and I don't doubt what you're saying). I thought the acoustics in this stadium were supposed to be brilliant - and yet we can't hear each other. Very strange.

D

Deleted member 18477

quite agree north stand was fantastic, west upper was very quiet second half, got to get more passion out of them, but how ?. Think as Roy Keane
would have said they're the prawn sandwich brigade.

i think most of the WSU were drained second half. it was f-ing hot up there. wait for a proper game that means something then judge. but anyway north were brilliant and im sure as the season goes on and points start to become more and more important the whole place will be cheering/jeering every decision with passion!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The people around me in the WSU were EMBARRASED by a load of kids in the NS singing a palace song.
What next? Glad all over when we score?

:yawn: nice being called a kid, aged 39, thanks :thumbsup:

Here's an idea: you compose a brand new, totally original song, start singing it and get the whole stand joining in :thumbsup:

Back to my original post... We didn't hear the WS at all until the latter part of the second half, so if you all were as loud as you say, it's a bit worrying that the acoustics don't allow the sound to travel. Unless, of course, it was bedlam on the pitch.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Let's be honest, with the acoustics of the Amex, two people chatting in row z would amount to a better atmosphere than most games at Withdean. That said, I thought there was plenty of atmosphere in WSU. Probably the difference between that and the North Stand is that in WSU the chants are more spontaneous rather than a bunch of kids on NCS spending all week trying to orchestrate the 'next big thing' in football chants!!!!!!!

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
It is possible that the North stand will contribute more perceived noise than the west upper due to the location and design of the stands. For instance west stand lower will probably think upper appeared quiet due to the sound literally travelling directly over their heads.

The only people who can truelly give a balanced opinion as to the loudest and most vocal stand would be the players themselves really.

Probably already been said, but also worth noting that west upper was the most popular choice for seasoned supporters (I think), who are perhaps most likely to have been of the opinion to wait for the Donny game as their first experience of the Amex having waited so long for it? I expect the noise generated in this stand will far improve for the Donny game.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You mean the song that is 'owned' by Palarse...i couldn't work it out but saw lots of Croydoom upset about it on twitter...looked it up on youtube ('we love you'). To be fair, once i knew that i wasn't so sure how i felt about it!
I don't think we need to be too worried about it. Firstly it's used by loads of teams across Europe, and secondly it's not the first time we've copied Palace - back in the 1970s we were quite impressed with their 'Eagles' chant and that's how the 'Seagulls' chant was born!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Please can we put this North stand/West Upper stuff to bed. We're all Brighton fans first and foremost, no need to be squabbling like this.

Lets just all agree to get off our arses and crank up th volume another notch for Donny on saturday :rave:punk::albion2:

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Incredible that anyone sang at all, I remember sitting in the south stand in the blazing hot sun at the pre season game against Aberdeen in complete silence.
Who sings at friendlies?, wait until the real first game on Saturday and then make your judgements.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
It is possible that the North stand will contribute more perceived noise than the west upper due to the location and design of the stands. For instance west stand lower will probably think upper appeared quiet due to the sound literally travelling directly over their heads.

The only people who can truelly give a balanced opinion as to the loudest and most vocal stand would be the players themselves really.

This. Hopefully the acoustics are such that all stands sound immense on the pitch :thumbsup:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Please can we put this North stand/West Upper stuff to bed. We're all Brighton fans first and foremost, no need to be squabbling like this.

Lets just all agree to get off our arses and crank up th volume another notch for Donny on saturday :rave:punk::albion2:

Agreed. It's pretty much the most PATHETIC thing I've read in a long time.

"oh we're louder than you. Blah f***ing blah"

everyone there is supporting Albion. it's not a bloody contest.

Of course the north will be louder. A stand behind the goal ALWAYS is. It's the mentality of being a small stand behind a goal. It happens at every ground.

I chose WSU for the view of the Footy, not the singing.

As a small example out of the 4 next to me 3 were non STH taking the tickets of those away. I'm
Sure this was beige echoed all over the ground.

Also it's the first time that you are sitting in your new seat next to people who wernt next to you at Withdean.

It will take a little time.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Speaking as an independent (in the east family stand) my view was;

North stand - did a great job for much of the game. I liked the new song - as Borvion says, it's not exclusive to our Croydon friends so fill yer boots

West stand upper - heard intermittently in the first half and really came to life second half. had the hairs on my neck standing when they got going

east stand - was quiet and I think will be so until the second tier goes in. It's quite a way up to the roof in there and the sound will get lost in the voids. I think west stand lower will have same problem about being far from a roof

south stand - I agree with the guy who mentioned whether the holes in the cladding are to prevent noise from the away fans, because they were quiet

Summary: It was a friendly but I've seen enough to think that when it gets competitive and there's a bad tackle, decision etc that the place will be intimidating at this level. The west stand have an important part to play in this - you literally bear down onto the technical area and if an opposing manager does a Nicky Law on us, then its up to you to unleash hell on him:mad:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I pretty much agree with ROSM, I was in the East Stand, half way line. I loved my seat and view but did think, I would love to be in with the North Standers as they looked like they were having a great time. I reckon that stand will be rocking when the league starts. WS was ok and got better during the second half. When the WS, NS and some of ES were singing Albion or Seagulls it sounded bloody loud! If we can get all 3 sides fully going it will be huge! A little too quiet in the ES, hoping Doncaster game will be better.

I also thought that there was eerie quiet periods ocassionally but again,that is most likely due to not all STH being there and very little crowd in the South.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I am in the WSU. Thankfully far enough away from the North Stand to not have to hear that terrible Palace-rip-off North Stand chant...

We need you to start some new songs, Richie, come on man. Let's hear you lead the WSU :)

We shouldn't make this into a WSU v N thing, though, you're all right on that. We need ALL stands to make a noise and the place will be rocking. As long as the sound makes it onto the pitch, we ALL should be very happy.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
200 mate - up to 205 or so were our lot - there was noise coming from a lot of the front row so all v good! It did seem to work when a few of us turned round (STANDING UP BRIEFLY!) to get the rest of the stand behind going.

I think you must have been the other side of the aisle from us. Definitely saw a few people round us give a good account of themselves and trying to encourage the rest of the block. Keep up the good work!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here