Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A fantastic win and a thread moaning about catering must be Groundhog Day

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
The ESU Library has some of the most expensive tickets, yet some of the worst catering in the stadium! Assuming the staff is universally terrible, it's been a few seasons since I've sat elsewhere.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ok, cracking result football wise which is all that really matters, but what the hey was going on on the catering front in WSL. I don't expect Sodexo to reply, but the Piglets person might have some answers. Fans coming for an evening match should be able to get a meat pie or a burger. West Stand Lower had closed and brought down the shutters on one of the three food and drink outlets and blocked it off with drinks dispensers. That left two outlets open with queues to the turnstiles. I reached the front of the queue 40 minutes before kick off and they had no meat pies and no burgers. I don't eat hotdogs. So I returned at half time to try again. Queues back to the turnstiles again at just two outlets. Nothing but burgers left by the time I reached the front and I missed the beginning of the second half. First World problems I know, but that's where I live. Poor show on the catering front. Don't know if it's Piglets stock issues or Sodexo with no staff or organisation, but something was wrong. In a similar vein, I went to the Marseille match screening in the Heineken lounge which included a free pie and a pint. But the pie options were two curried chicken or the runny minced beef pie. No chicken, gammon and leek and no beef pie. Poor management by Piglets or Sodexo. Hope someone knows what's going on and replies, because tonight was just ridiculous with only two outlets and none of the best meaty food to sell.
It's not really a secret that companies across the country are facing shortages of staff. Not just entertainment / catering but transport too, all since Covid. People have figured they don't have to do minimum wage jobs that come with the guarantee that they'll be the first out if the country has to shut down again. Combine that with inflation meaning the wages are barely worth it, better to get benefits or a student loan in many cases.

This isn't another 'woke NSC" dig at the government BTW. It's a fact of life in hospitality. Very few are making a profit at the moment, most turning over just to survive and getting and retaining good staff is a massive part of the problem.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
The cheeseburger looked absolutely crap though.

Hard to believe but it actually tasted even worse than it looked.
The cheeseburgers have changed in the last month or so. Christ knows what they are made of now but they are grey and slimy.

Had one vs Athens and it was rank, same the following League game. Back to pies now.

Rather have a Goldstone burger.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Got there early last night, sausage roll was fine but even at 6.15pm there weren’t many left. The cheeseburger looked absolutely crap though. A bit later, my mate couldn’t get any food at all at 7.15. The new bar/beer dispensers in WSL look fine but not sure taking out a kiosk to make room for them makes any sense at all. Kiosks were already too busy.
In previous games in the West Lower this season there have been self serve b eer dispensers, but they were situated away from the kiosks and against the back wall of the concorse.

So why were they moved last night? stock shortages? staff shortages? All very odd. It will be interesting to see if they keep the staus quo for the Fulham game on Sunday. Somehow l fancy they might.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My steak and ale pie in East Upper was excellent. I’ve developed a habit of haring out to the queueless kiosk about 10 minutes from HT, whenever there’s a break in play, and grabbing a pie and a Coke. Because I sit on the aisle, I can do this without disrupting anyone. I get back to my seat as play resumes. I furtively fish my smuggled Coke lid out of a secret inner pocket, fit to Coke and store under my seat. The pie warms my hands until HT, by which point it has cooled enough to eat alone, in comfort, while the people around me are all out, queuing disconsolately, muttering about missing the start of the second half.
Good plan! I won't tell PB about the bottle top, l promise.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The cheeseburgers have changed in the last month or so. Christ knows what they are made of now but they are grey and slimy.

Had one vs Athens and it was rank, same the following League game. Back to pies now.

Rather have a Goldstone burger.
The plain burger is tolerable, the cheeseburger is frankly disgusting (don’t know if it’s the cheese or the sauce or the combo) shite house

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
We asked one of the guys serving at the temporary beer stand why the main servers was closed. He said it’s being changed to an Amazon stand. He didn’t have a clue how that would be working though.

Seems a bit strange, although to be fair I’ve ordered goods on Amazon that have been delivered quicker than you can get a pint at The Amex.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I happened upon someone very high up in Sodexo the other week. They said it was simply staffing issues. They employ 500 staff for a match day of which only 400 will turn up. I'm sure I'm not the only employer who understands that.
But to run out of pies when the staff are there is another issue. Should never happen.
Surely if they know 100 will not turn up, it´s not rocket science to employ 600?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Be glad you got anything at all.

The vegi options have been diabolical for the last season with how few there is.

You're lucky to get a vegi option at all in the West Upper after 15 minutes before the game.
I couldn’t even find out. Waited in line for 15 minutes and gave up 10 minutes before kick off because I do really like to see the thing I’ve paid to watch.

Frustrating. I’m left hungry and the club’s missing out on cash I was ready to spend.

And WHY is it bloody impossible to get a programme now? At least on Europa nights.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Ok, cracking result football wise which is all that really matters, but what the hey was going on on the catering front in WSL. I don't expect Sodexo to reply, but the Piglets person might have some answers. Fans coming for an evening match should be able to get a meat pie or a burger. West Stand Lower had closed and brought down the shutters on one of the three food and drink outlets and blocked it off with drinks dispensers. That left two outlets open with queues to the turnstiles. I reached the front of the queue 40 minutes before kick off and they had no meat pies and no burgers. I don't eat hotdogs. So I returned at half time to try again. Queues back to the turnstiles again at just two outlets. Nothing but burgers left by the time I reached the front and I missed the beginning of the second half. First World problems I know, but that's where I live. Poor show on the catering front. Don't know if it's Piglets stock issues or Sodexo with no staff or organisation, but something was wrong. In a similar vein, I went to the Marseille match screening in the Heineken lounge which included a free pie and a pint. But the pie options were two curried chicken or the runny minced beef pie. No chicken, gammon and leek and no beef pie. Poor management by Piglets or Sodexo. Hope someone knows what's going on and replies, because tonight was just ridiculous with only two outlets and none of the best meaty food to sell.
I was surprised to see this, as it's the kiosk I go to, as its in the middle of the stand and more people seem to go to the ones at end end as they enter WSL.
Then wandered off to one of the other kiosks to join a long queue by 7ish standards. Many in the queue were just buying beers which they could have got at the pop up bar.

On the evening I just assumed this was something to appease the UEFA sponsors, and would not be present for the Fulham game.

But reading this thread seems it may be something more permanent.

Maybe the club's thinking is that if they are investing in the outside fan zone, they can reduce the number of outlets inside the ground, and utilise them for something else.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
We asked one of the guys serving at the temporary beer stand why the main servers was closed. He said it’s being changed to an Amazon stand. He didn’t have a clue how that would be working though.

Seems a bit strange, although to be fair I’ve ordered goods on Amazon that have been delivered quicker than you can get a pint at The Amex.
Maybe it's this, already in trial at several stadia in the US...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here