[Albion] West Stand Lower Catering/Ajax match

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ok, cracking result football wise which is all that really matters, but what the hey was going on on the catering front in WSL. I don't expect Sodexo to reply, but the Piglets person might have some answers. Fans coming for an evening match should be able to get a meat pie or a burger. West Stand Lower had closed and brought down the shutters on one of the three food and drink outlets and blocked it off with drinks dispensers. That left two outlets open with queues to the turnstiles. I reached the front of the queue 40 minutes before kick off and they had no meat pies and no burgers. I don't eat hotdogs. So I returned at half time to try again. Queues back to the turnstiles again at just two outlets. Nothing but burgers left by the time I reached the front and I missed the beginning of the second half. First World problems I know, but that's where I live. Poor show on the catering front. Don't know if it's Piglets stock issues or Sodexo with no staff or organisation, but something was wrong. In a similar vein, I went to the Marseille match screening in the Heineken lounge which included a free pie and a pint. But the pie options were two curried chicken or the runny minced beef pie. No chicken, gammon and leek and no beef pie. Poor management by Piglets or Sodexo. Hope someone knows what's going on and replies, because tonight was just ridiculous with only two outlets and none of the best meaty food to sell.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Ok, cracking result football wise which is all that really matters, but what the hey was going on on the catering front in WSL. I don't expect Sodexo to reply, but the Piglets person might have some answers. Fans coming for an evening match should be able to get a meat pie or a burger. West Stand Lower had closed and brought down the shutters on one of the three food and drink outlets and blocked it off with drinks dispensers. That left two outlets open with queues to the turnstiles. I reached the front of the queue 40 minutes before kick off and they had no meat pies and no burgers. I don't eat hotdogs. So I returned at half time to try again. Queues back to the turnstiles again at just two outlets. Nothing but burgers left by the time I reached the front and I missed the beginning of the second half. First World problems I know, but that's where I live. Poor show on the catering front. Don't know if it's Piglets stock issues or Sodexo with no staff or organisation, but something was wrong. In a similar vein, I went to the Marseille match screening in the Heineken lounge which included a free pie and a pint. But the pie options were two curried chicken or the runny minced beef pie. No chicken, gammon and leek and no beef pie. Poor management by Piglets or Sodexo. Hope someone knows what's going on and replies, because tonight was just ridiculous with only two outlets and none of the best meaty food to sell.
Be glad you got anything at all.

The vegi options have been diabolical for the last season with how few there is.

You're lucky to get a vegi option at all in the West Upper after 15 minutes before the game.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Having the beer dispensers taking out one of the three refreshment stands would make more sense if people buying beer were told not to use the other two

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
And what’s happened to the sausage rolls! They used to almost been too much meat but they have halved in size! 2 beers and 2 sausage rolls, 24 quid!

But I will still do it again!

3 points and happy days!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And what’s happened to the sausage rolls! They used to almost been too much meat but they have halved in size! 2 beers and 2 sausage rolls, 24 quid!

But I will still do it again!

3 points and happy days!
Got there early last night, sausage roll was fine but even at 6.15pm there weren’t many left. The cheeseburger looked absolutely crap though. A bit later, my mate couldn’t get any food at all at 7.15. The new bar/beer dispensers in WSL look fine but not sure taking out a kiosk to make room for them makes any sense at all. Kiosks were already too busy.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I happened upon someone very high up in Sodexo the other week. They said it was simply staffing issues. They employ 500 staff for a match day of which only 400 will turn up. I'm sure I'm not the only employer who understands that.
But to run out of pies when the staff are there is another issue. Should never happen.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
WSU kiosks really slow again last night, ground to a halt after the game. It's reassuring to know that even on the most joyous of evenings I can still find something to moan about :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My catering tip - certainly for the next Thursday game - is to go to the Village Chippy Fish and Chips mobile van - in Falmer Station just before the steps to the bridge into the stadium.

I know them because they have a regular perch in Chailey on Tuesdays but its top quality fish and chips, generous portions and imo better than the stand opposite the ticket office. Also - seemingly no queues.

Its a more simple menu than their normal offering (no choice of Haddock or Cod etc ha ha - no free halves of lemon !!) but £12 for "fish and chips" (i think it was Cod last night), £1.50 for a can of Diet Pepsi etc. which is about standard these days. They do battered halloumi , sausages etc as well.

No idea if they are there on other days but they were there for AEK Athens - has anyone seen them on a Saturday or a Sunday ?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Come on Piglets and Sodexo. Come on here and defend yourselves. A premier League club with no pies or burgers to sell, closed outlets, huge queues meaning customers gave up? Where's your pride?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
No hot food in the north shelf and restocked 5 (five) pies only at half time. I did suggest that with it being the family stand wouldn’t burgers and hotdogs be more appropriate?

It’s been shit up there all season with lack of hot food and they close the kiosk after half time on the dot.

Is there a particular email / contact to put something in to the club on the state of catering , willing to give Barber the day off?

The more that complain the better maybe?

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
Be glad you got anything at all.

The vegi options have been diabolical for the last season with how few there is.

You're lucky to get a vegi option at all in the West Upper after 15 minutes before the game.

I have a major complaint on that but can’t be arsed to write an email to mr Barber. What’s with the Hommity pie having bacon in it. I thought lovely a second option vegetarian Pie. No where have I found a recipe that says add bacon! I was most disappointed Why not have a guest pie that most( sorry vegans) can eat.

third world problems, but it pissed me right off.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
So fed up of cold pies from the West Stand lower kiosks, is there a 'safe' serving temperature for the pies, I've assumed these are pre cooked and are reheated at the ground, if that is true then surely there has to be a safe serving temperature? they are clearly not being 'cooked' onsite, over to you Piglets and Sodex, we await your response......

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
My steak and ale pie in East Upper was excellent. I’ve developed a habit of haring out to the queueless kiosk about 10 minutes from HT, whenever there’s a break in play, and grabbing a pie and a Coke. Because I sit on the aisle, I can do this without disrupting anyone. I get back to my seat as play resumes. I furtively fish my smuggled Coke lid out of a secret inner pocket, fit to Coke and store under my seat. The pie warms my hands until HT, by which point it has cooled enough to eat alone, in comfort, while the people around me are all out, queuing disconsolately, muttering about missing the start of the second half.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
East lower was actually good last night.

Vegan pie - hot and tasty
Pizza - hot and tasty (expensive)
Falafel, curry sauce and black rice - wonderful

Set me up for 4 pints of Harveys and a great evening

NB I didn't eat all the above, my sons had the pizza and my daughter the falafel. I had the pie

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have a major complaint on that but can’t be arsed to write an email to mr Barber. What’s with the Hommity pie having bacon in it. I thought lovely a second option vegetarian Pie. No where have I found a recipe that says add bacon! I was most disappointed Why not have a guest pie that most( sorry vegans) can eat.

third world problems, but it pissed me right off.
It's only called hommity pie at the kiosks for some reason (even if few of the servers can tell you what's in it😀). In the pre-match briefing emails it's called bacon and mature cheddar. What gives?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports