Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Truely, one of the worst footballing teams i've seen at st mary's. I have never seen a team play so direct. Everytime the full backs got the ball it was long to Carew, the midfield for all their prowess, never touched the ball. Individually they are very very good and you could see that on occasion, however Fonte and Hooiveld had 90% of the long balls under control, and West Ham rarely threatend. You will be able to pass it around them and keep possesion, however how will you fair against their style of play?

I don't know much about the ability of your defenders, however at the back end of last season the ones that played against us seemed to struggle when we put balls through the air and big powerful players.

This is what is behind their tactics. They are a very big side and made us look small (we're no small side). Their CB's are both very strong and physical, Papa Bouba Diop is a tank, Nolan isn't small same with Lansbury. Piquionne and Carew are both well over 6ft and the latter very strong with his hold up play.

If your back four are able to deal with the constant barrage of long balls and your players can deal with their very physical style of play and not get intimidated by them, I think you could sneak a result here.

However, like I said, it all hinges on your defence and your ability to deal with long balls and set pieces. How do you think you will get on?

Genuine post, not looking to incite anything.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Given your description of how they play I'm more certain then ever that we'll lose. We can't handle balls into the box, our goalkeeper flaps and our centre backs aren't particularly great headers of the ball.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Their keeper is no better. He was horrific, i'm sure you'll see a couple of his calamities on the highlights if you watch them.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
A strong wind will also blow most of them over. Our best ball winner and header, now plays for a club further north! We are f***ed. 0-15.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I am glad that SCC beat West Pork. We're supposed to hate Palace, sorry I despise that other claret and blue shower of shit with a vengeance, Palace don't even get close.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Lol jjb Im not sure you write up is totally true being you only just got your win. Admittedly had a goal unfairly ruled out. But carew won loads of headers missed an easy one towards the end, there new lad had a shot cleared of line and you were so fortunate not to score an own goal.

seagulls

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I live in fear for this game TBH... It sounds exactly like a style and game we could really do without at the mo! Who do we have at the back that will get anywhere near winning a high direct ball?

Correct answer is.... NO ONE!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How do they mark? Man-to-Man or zonal, or not at all?

I saw them on the TV against Cardiff when they did not even hump in the channels but try to pass forward to Piquionne who the Cardiff back two seemed to handle OK. Nolan just ran into cul de sacs and Piquionne back-headed to ball to nobody, but looked an interesting player all the same. I thought the Cardiff central defence was good on the day, but apparently not that good.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
How do they mark? Man-to-Man or zonal, or not at all?

I saw them on the TV against Cardiff when they did not even hump in the channels but try to pass forward to Piquionne who the Cardiff back two seemed to handle OK. Nolan just ran into cul de sacs and Piquionne back-headed to ball to nobody, but looked an interesting player all the same. I thought the Cardiff central defence was good on the day, but apparently not that good.

There defending is awful fabuert last night was crap i thought and a fast player will do him and win free kicks.

There midfield is class but don't appear to be using them, and one of them went of injured.

They seem to have dropped Cole and carew looks like there biggest threat.

1-1 for me

seagulls

Rocky Robin

Nov 15, 2010
Can Casper and our back 4 cope with the long ball of West Ham

I had a mate go to the Saints game last night and he said all West Ham did was lump it up to BIG JOHN Carroooo. They were very physical all big! the only small bloke Matt Taylor who was their best player though he got injured.

Calton Cole should be back for Monday which adds more hight!

Last time we played against big John he bullied our defence and Brez if i remember rightly at Stoke

He said in the end Saints just let big John win the ball and pick up the seconds. The issues he said were set pieces,,,,,will Greer or Dunk be able to cope on a corner with Casper flapping! He said WH looked very average 4-5-1/ 4-3-3 and saints played keep ball for long periods and made a few more chances. But WH just kept lumping it up and waiting for mistakes ....at the moment we are making them!

What options have we got? Brez in for Casper ? How tall/good in the air is Cook ? looked ok against Liverpool though they are not long ball!

4-3-2-1 1st 60 mins to tire them out and bring on Buckley

Also give painter a rest and get him on a diet! he looks too SLOW let vincelot play to add 1" inch more!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Yep. I've been saying for weeks they'll dick us 0-3. An Allardyce team with Carew up front are like our cryptonite, just like Stoke were last season. Greer, Dunk and Ankergren won't cope with the high balls into the box and Carew won't even need to jump to nod them in.

Unfortunately I can't find anything in your post to which I can disagree

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Regardless of West Ham lumping balls into the box, which we will inevitably find hard to defend for 90 minutes, it's about how we play and control the game. If we can't get the passing going, the Hammers could play any style of football and beat us. We've got more than half a chance if we can try and pass them off the pitch.

But I am convinced that we NEED Buckley and Vicente to be on the field. Defensive/Midfield lack of strength issues aside, Buckley is what we've missed going forward. A player who's going to cut out the shit and just run at fullbacks. I re-watched the full highlights of the Donny game (as I like to do to give myself the reality check that this is an amazing time to be an Albion fan, despite recent results), and CMS' best chance came from Buckley charging into the box and cutting the ball back for Macca to have a shot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here