Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham target Dunk as Reid replacement

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Could a swap with Murray be in the planning ???

Unlikely. You desperately need goals. While I can't see Murray saving you any time soon, Pardew would have to give him a chance for a couple of months at least. And you don't seem to be paying large fees for players, despite the "£100 million" the PL was going to instantly bestow upon you. Which makes a successful cash bid for Dunk extremely unlikely in my book.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He could quite easily live there and commute to London though. It's, what, a ten minute drive (tops) to the A23?

Or sell the house...

I did say that rather tongue-in-cheek. I'm not sure who'd buy that house though, it's twice the size of all the places around it and looks slightly ridiculous.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really ? We just gave Dunk (and Solly March) a vastly improved new long term contract. Just because there is public talk or gossip that clubs are interested in the CB doesn't mean he's going or even that WH have made an offer.
Ulloa, and Buckley left to play in the Premier League for I guess vastly improved wages/contract and only after the club had failed in a play off push. What would you have done about that ?

Improved contracts just mean we will get a bigger fee surely? I imagine Derby and Watford players could have moved to the Premier League if they chose, but they don't seem to do it quite as readily as every Albion player worth a transfer fee.

I don't expect you to agree with me because you are always totally on the side of the club in all these arguments :smile:

I just don't think we try hard enough to keep players, I could of course be wrong.

Let's see how this one plays out. IF an offer is made and it's a decent amount I believe he will be off, as has happened with every other player who gets courted by the Premier League since Gus left.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Improved contracts just mean we will get a bigger fee surely? I imagine Derby and Watford players could have moved to the Premier League if they chose, but they don't seem to do it quite as readily as every Albion player worth a transfer fee.

I don't expect you to agree with me because you are always totally on the side of the club in all these arguments :smile:

I just don't think we try hard enough to keep players, I could of course be wrong.

Let's see how this one plays out. IF an offer is made and it's a decent amount I believe he will be off, as has happened with every other player who gets courted by the Premier League since Gus left.

If a decent offer comes in I would sell if he wants to go. keeping players against there wishes is a disaster in my opinion

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I think Dunk will go, it's OK to talk of ambition and promotion but we do need money to be able to do it. If, and it's a big IF, Dunk is playing well above the standard we require to play at CB then it's right to cash in, at say £10m, and use £3m to get a very good CB and then add to the fund that will support our ambition and playoff / promotion push.

In my opinion it's not a lack of ambition to sell your best players IF you reinvest any revenue in furthering your ambition and strengthening your overall position allowing you to achieve the broader ambition.

That's all very well but it has failed spectacularly this season, bird in the hand and all that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Impro

IF an offer is made and it's a decent amount I believe he will be off, as has happened with every other player who gets courted by the Premier League since Gus left.

How do you know?

Surely the only ones you really know about, are by definition, the ones that end up happening?

FWIW I believe there has been previous 'courting' of Dunk, March and Walton, to name three.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
How do you know?

Surely the only ones you really know about, are by definition, the ones that end up happening?

FWIW I believe there has been previous 'courting' of Dunk, March and Walton, to name three.

Dunk's own career is ahead of those other two, so some chance of likely Premier League starts are what would be the difference.

Personally if you have an opportunity to go to the Premiership with all its riches and at least a chance to succeed and start games then its a tough one to turn down

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That's all very well but it has failed spectacularly this season, bird in the hand and all that.

However, that's not what we've done this season is it? Don't really think we used any transfer income for re-investment beyond what we'd already budgeted for?

My feeling, and it's only my opinion, is we are battening down the hatches for a season or two before we have that serious push.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Unfortunately failing in the transfer market last January when we should have taken to the opportunity to strengthen in a promotion push, was always going to mean that players would move on. We are now probably three seasons away from being serious contenders again so we have missed the chance of going up and keeping our best. It's a shame but that is the price we have paid. The only upside to the path we chose is the money we can sell our players for.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Unfortunately failing in the transfer market last January when we should have taken to the opportunity to strengthen in a promotion push, was always going to mean that players would move on. We are now probably three seasons away from being serious contenders again so we have missed the chance of going up and keeping our best. It's a shame but that is the price we have paid. The only upside to the path we chose is the money we can sell our players for.

Yep, maybe we can try investing it properly this time...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How do you know?

Well apart from Dunk, who is left? I can't imagine any of the others except maybe March and Walton would be of interest to a Premier Club. We have already had a rumour about March to Southampton too. EVERY very good player is moved on very quickly at this club, especially since Gus left.

It is not the norm for all clubs in this division to constantly lose their best players unless they are no hopers for promotion, which I accept that we have become.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A quick question for you [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION].

If Dunk is convinced to stay another 18 months, what do you suggest the club does with Rae and Dallison?

Sell them.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

If Dunk is convinced to stay another 18 months, what do you suggest the club does with Rae and Dallison?

Sell them.

Nice problem, I probably would sell them, if they aren't willing to wait their turn, but only if we have ambitions to get out of this division, Loan them out for a season otherwise. You cannot keep selling your best and more experienced players. If we are happy to float around mid to lower table then yes sell everybody and keep bringing through the youth. :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nice problem, I probably would sell them, if they aren't willing to wait their turn, but only if we have ambitions to get out of this division, Loan them out for a season otherwise. You cannot keep selling your best and more experienced players. If we are happy to float around mid to lower table then yes sell everybody and keep bringing through the youth. :shrug:

People have been complaining quite loudly that we did exactly that with Cooke & Elphick 3 & 2 years ago respectively. Apart from Dunk, our defence is getting on a bit.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Sell them.

All clubs with a productive academy system has to work on the basis that a percentage of the successful products from the academy will be sold on, and that encourages others to join, as they CAN see a path to the 1st team and see no blockers to moving on.

Therefore, if we get a fair offer, we would be wise to accept, ensuring we get the usual sell on clauses etc. If Dallison & Rae are good enough they then enter the 1st team squad and the process moves on. What we need to do is to produce more than just decent Central Defenders though!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
why not sign halford , we have hughes and greer so three cb's ......then give lewis the target man gig.....top scorer at cb ffs ...!!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I find the Prem extra interesting with old Brighton players involved in it. As much as I would like to keep Dunk I would be chuffed for him playing in front of 54,000 fans at the Olympic stadium. Time waits for no one, not even the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here