Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham linked with Dunk....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We didn't turn down £5m for Dunk. It was deal done and sign on the dotted line. The agent went on holiday, believing the deal had gone through, Fulham thought they had their man and BHA were resigned to losing him. Immediately post aftermath Shoreham air crash, LD appears to have had a rethink and after talks with the management, decided to stay.

This.

And don't forget the way the club supported him during the 'trial' episode.

I wonder how much the presumed sense of allegiance he may have acquired for the club, his area, his roots, may have been undermined by the combination of loss of '90 minute focus' plus the barracking he has received from sections of the crowd?

Next time a club offers 3+ million, the outcome may well be different :down:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm completely in the other side and would have sold to Fulham when they reached £3.5m never mind the reported £5m.

IMO he is not as good as Uwe and although early days Goldson looks as composed on the ball and has more pace.

I love how you haven't even mentioned Greer in your post... Everyone is overlooking the fact that Greer (even without considering his age) is making as many mistakes as Dunk this season, if not more. Uwe looks like a solid defender but has had a couple of injuries so far and hasn't cemented his status as undroppable even when he has played - plus he's 5 years older than Dunk so he's not exactly one to build our future around. And Goldson has only play a few games for us in which he has committed an error that has led to us losing the game...

And we're talking about getting rid of the guy for £3.5m - that's peanuts in Championship terms nowadays. Who could we get in the Championship of a similar level for that kind of money? More to the point, who could we attract for that money that would improve us?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm completely in the other side and would have sold to Fulham when they reached £3.5m never mind the reported £5m.

IMO he is not as good as Uwe and although early days Goldson looks as composed on the ball and has more pace.

Don't forget Tony Bloom was adamant he wouldn't sell to another Championship club.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I love how you haven't even mentioned Greer in your post... Everyone is overlooking the fact that Greer (even without considering his age) is making as many mistakes as Dunk this season, if not more. Uwe looks like a solid defender but has had a couple of injuries so far and hasn't cemented his status as undroppable even when he has played - plus he's 5 years older than Dunk so he's not exactly one to build our future around. And Goldson has only play a few games for us in which he has committed an error that has led to us losing the game...

And we're talking about getting rid of the guy for £3.5m - that's peanuts in Championship terms nowadays. Who could we get in the Championship of a similar level for that kind of money? More to the point, who could we attract for that money that would improve us?

Greer is no worse than Dunk and makes less errors, certainly so far this season.

Uwe has had a couple of knocks, but with 3 more than adequate CBs plus Dallison and Rea who we should be developing, I'd take the money and spend it elsewhere.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Fulham now have a transfer embargo. If a prem club came in, then I'm sure we'd sell.

Forgot about that, I think you are right re premier team but it would be a gamble for them.

As good a championship player as Dunk is, and he is good, defensively you live by your mistakes rather than all the positives so that may put prem teams off.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't forget Tony Bloom was adamant he wouldn't sell to another Championship club.
It MAY be that Dunk has a release clause in his new contract that can only be activated by PL clubs or equivalent.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If a prem side offers close to 5 million hes off in my opinion, I would love him to stay though, our best centre half for me by some way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think if anybody offered £5m he would be off. He has been good for us but every player has their worth and if a bid comes in higher the club will go for it. You will say who, so how about either that we sold to Bournemouth neither would cost near that price.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It MAY be that Dunk has a release clause in his new contract that can only be activated by PL clubs or equivalent.

I don't think he has but that wouldn't stop Dunk and his Agent pushing through a move if a Premiership club came in for him. It is strange this story broke in a local Essex small newspaper and I think his Agent is based in Essex. One does then just wonder if his Agent is just feeding stuff to any press that will listen to him.

I am not the biggest fan of Lewis; however, we have seen how devastating a couple of injuries in the same position in our case the left back position, can cause so I don't think that anyone in or around the first team plans will be allowed to leave in this window unless we had a replacement lined up in the same position as cover

albionite

May 20, 2009
I don't think he has but that wouldn't stop Dunk and his Agent pushing through a move if a Premiership club came in for him. It is strange this story broke in a local Essex small newspaper and I think his Agent is based in Essex. One does then just wonder if his Agent is just feeding stuff to any press that will listen to him.

I am not the biggest fan of Lewis; however, we have seen how devastating a couple of injuries in the same position in our case the left back position, can cause so I don't think that anyone in or around the first team plans will be allowed to leave in this window unless we had a replacement lined up in the same position as cover
As hughtons biggest stalker I would of thought you would be up to date on who we are close to singing, you have been missing on the two South American threads.

Come on fill us in.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
As hughtons biggest stalker I would of thought you would be up to date on who we are close to singing, you have been missing on the two South American threads.

Come on fill us in.

I have been on holiday and although I could read the boards I couldn't log in - We spoke on 29th I think it was and no one was in the pipeline then apparently but I have a feeling That is not the case.

Although, I did know about a month or so ago that we were chasing Liam Ridgewell but the last time I told someone something on here it got blasted all over the boards. Not only that. What was put on was actually a variation of what I had actually told that person. I won't probably speak to him all of January as I have so much work on this month. On top of that, if it is something which might affect the deal he won't probably tell me anyhow.

So don't rely on me for anything this coming month. I don't think I will be '' in the know '' Sorry !

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
:lolol: What are you on?

Have you been watching the games Greer has played recently? At fault for at least 2 against 'Boro (although many people that understand football would argue all 3), at fault for the first goal against QPR which caused the team to fall apart, at fault for the penalty against Derby in the last minute... Do you want me to go on? And they're just his recent games...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Greer is no worse than Dunk and makes less errors, certainly so far this season.

Uwe has had a couple of knocks, but with 3 more than adequate CBs plus Dallison and Rea who we should be developing, I'd take the money and spend it elsewhere.

I guess we're both being subjective in our opinions. I do think Dunk is a better CB than Greer and I think he has more long term potential for us than Greer, both in terms of age and footballing ability. Although I would, and have countless times, argued that Greer has made as many mistakes as Dunk this season. No he hasn't let the ball run under his feet like Dunk, which was idiotic on Dunk's part against Ipswich, but Greer has made a lot of fundamental errors that have cost us points this season - at least he's made as many as Dunk has. Unfortunately because Greer is who he is, supporters are willing to overlook his flaws in much the way they do with Calde, even when it is costing the team.

Let me just be clear though, I'm not advocating selling Greer either as that would also weaken us despite him suffering a loss of form prior to injury and making mistakes in much the same way Dunk has.

I guess the point is Rea and Dallison are unknown quantities, as are Uwe and Goldson at the moment really. So selling Dunk wouldn't leave us in a better position at this moment in time, as we have no guarantee that the CBs that come in would be of the same quality.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I think Dunk is an excellent home grown player, I would love him to stay, however if we do not make the Premiership money bags do what you want league, a three way bidding process say from Newcastle, West Ham and West Brom could play onto the clubs financial hands, being a player involved in a 21 match unbeaten run at the top of the championship should equate to 8 plus million with the sort of money bring spent by premiership clubs.

As I say I want him to stay but running out at a full Olympic Stadium could be a great incentive and a step up in his footballing career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here