Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham advise children not to attend Millwall game

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
i have been to one of these games (a few years ago), it was a sunday 12pm kick off at Upton Park, (was invited by a mate, so i went to see what all of the fuss was). And in the words of Danny Dyer "it was proper naughty".

The atmosphere was electric, but f***ing hostile. After the game it seemed nice and calm, as we walked to the tube, and got around the back of the market in green street, it all kicked off big time. There were old bill everywhere in riot kit, but they just seemed to inflame the whole thing. I was so glad to get on the train unscathed.

And before you ask, who started it, they both seemed adamant that they wanted a piece of each other. This is one of the most violent and hostile derbies in football, and fans have died because of this one. I heard a Millwall fan was thrown on to the Tube tracks in the past, and was electrocuted, as the West Ham fans were goading the millwall fans about it.

IMHO this should be played in a neutral stadium, behind closed doors....

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
To be fair, I would seriously question the parenting skills of anybody that thinks takeing a child to that game is a good idea. Yes in an ideal world we should all be able to take children to any game. Unfortunatly this is reallity and everyone with a brain cell in their head, knows its going to kick off at some stage, either in the ground, outside the ground, at the station. In fact I would say it is almost impossible to predict where it will break out. Ive always said if you have your wits about you, its easy enough to avoid, but a child makes that a little bit more difficult and anybody that thinks its ok for a child to witness that sort of thing, is not fit to have kids imho. I took my girl to her first game this year and she loved it and I plan to take her again. But I would not dream of takeing her to the Palace,Millwall, Leeds, Birmingham games even though I think they will be fine.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The smart thing to do with a game like this is to make it home fans only but that won't happen.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Will be to heavily policed to go off anyway.

yeah, of course it will.

And before you ask, who started it, they both seemed adamant that they wanted a piece of each other. This is one of the most violent and hostile derbies in football, and fans have died because of this one. I heard a Millwall fan was thrown on to the Tube tracks in the past, and was electrocuted, as the West Ham fans were goading the millwall fans about it.

Pretty sure that was an arsenal fan. Mentioned in one of Cass Pennants books iirc

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sorry, I get that, of course. But, something has gone very wrong, if between the two clubs they've reached a point where either of them feel that this advice is needed or justified.

Not reached a point at all , its always been this way . Just with new technology ie internet the message can get out there . It's football , generations have grown up witnessing a vile atmosphere in some games and grown up seeing disorder . As a kid I loved it . Gives an edge and the day this is over the day football loses something major . It's tribal , you don't have to fight or like fighting but f*** me get over it .

Last edited:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Still think the issue here is not letting kids attend without adults. Is that even legal? There must be some rule it's breaking. If I was a 14 year old West Ham fan I'd be exploring options to take the club to court.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Still think the issue here is not letting kids attend without adults. Is that even legal? There must be some rule it's breaking. If I was a 14 year old West Ham fan I'd be exploring options to take the club to court.

Its down to the club, who they let in and who they dont, courts cant do anything

west upper king

Aug 31, 2011
"due to the nature of this fixture, we do not advise young children to attend"

Sorry, but I think that is an absolute disgrace. So they've basically decided not to tackle the issues, but to just accept a bad atmosphere, and warn families not to attend. Self fulfilling prophecy.

It's not even an evening game. I hope they are refunding monies to the season ticket holders who they are telling not to come.

they can still go there just saying that it will be better if they dont basically .

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Its down to the club, who they let in and who they dont, courts cant do anything

It would be down to Millwall then, not West Ham who have made up the rule. It would surely also have to apply to the whole stadium (ie no unaccompanied kids in the home end either, even if they happen to be season tickets). And I really can't see the difference between "No Unaccompanied Children" and "No Blacks". Do you reckon a club could introduce the latter rule with no legal comeback. I think a kid could quite easily get West Ham in the dock for this, the "reserves the right to refuse admission" rule doesn't take precedence over anti-discrimination laws, and West Ham are effectively discriminating on the grounds of age. A good human rights lawyer could have a field day with this decision.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
thought they were merely advising that it probably wouldn't be a good idea taking nippers along due to previous episodes between the clubs. i would've thought that the OB might've had a bit to do with the advice too.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
they can still go there just saying that it will be better if they dont basically .

It states: "Should any child tickets be purchased they must be accompanied with an adult."

Yesterday it stated: "All children must be accompanied by an adult."

They obviously realised the latter was (as I've been arguing) illegal and changed it this morning, so a kid can now attend but only if they pay for an adult ticket. I think they can get away with the former. I suspect a kid may well have threatened to take them to court, forcing the change. They've dodged a bullet there.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
It would be down to Millwall then, not West Ham who have made up the rule. It would surely also have to apply to the whole stadium (ie no unaccompanied kids in the home end either, even if they happen to be season tickets). And I really can't see the difference between "No Unaccompanied Children" and "No Blacks". Do you reckon a club could introduce the latter rule with no legal comeback. I think a kid could quite easily get West Ham in the dock for this, the "reserves the right to refuse admission" rule doesn't take precedence over anti-discrimination laws, and West Ham are effectively discriminating on the grounds of age. A good human rights lawyer could have a field day with this decision.

No wonder this f***ing coutry's going down the shitter with posts like that,. Give me a f***ing break.

I think a kid could quite easily get West Ham in the dock for this, the "reserves the right to refuse admission" rule doesn't take precedence over anti-discrimination laws

Bwahahahahaha...fat dick, you should be on the stage pal

Last edited:

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
It states: "Should any child tickets be purchased they must be accompanied with an adult."

Yesterday it stated: "Any children must be accompanied by an adult."

They obviously realised the latter was (as I've been arguing) illegal and changed it this morning, so a kid can now attend but only if they pay for an adult ticket. I think they can get away with the former. I suspect a kid may well have threatened to take them to court, forcing the change. They've dodged a bullet there.

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here