Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were you around in 1983

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I was 18 in '83, have great memories of that era, tended to have blanked out the bad ones although losing to Man City at home, which condemned us to relegation, was a horrible day. Although the semi final and final games were outstanding, the QF at the Goldstone against Norwich is my favourite all time game. So much tension that day, amazing game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Great match ... and the Football Genius had John Barnes in his pocket all game..

I think that you may have got a little confused or possibly I am but dont think JC played in that game I think that it was Gary Chivers who marked Barnes out of the game as I said it could be me that is mixed up and memory playing tricks. I remember flying home around that time from Manchester and GC was on the plane having done the same with Giggs at Old Trafford.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, although living away from Sussex with a young family restricted me to occasional away games, & one at the Goldstone when visiting family.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think that you may have got a little confused or possibly I am but dont think JC played in that game I think that it was Gary Chivers who marked Barnes out of the game as I said it could be me that is mixed up and memory playing tricks. I remember flying home around that time from Manchester and GC was on the plane having done the same with Giggs at Old Trafford.

Johnny Crumplin marked John Barnes out of the game at Anfield 1991.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yup, 29 then, was still playing so only caught first and last games of the season. Didn't realise when I stopped playing we were somewhat lower down the leagues! Was at the first top flight game, 4-0 Arsenal drubbing so surprised we even stayed up that long.

D

Deleted member 2719

I was about but hardly saw a game when we were in the top flight, as i have said before i watch football for the entertainment and atmosphere not just the league table.

As for the guys that " I went to FA Cup Final, Wembley Play off and Cardiff Play offs" type of plastic i bet they didn't watch Chester City FC at the Preistfield.

I am probably the ONLY TRUE SUPAFAN on this board.

I miss the Preistfield stadium days, proper fans.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
My first game was 1958 v Liverpool. Wouldn't it be great to go through it again.

The club thought the Liverpool game in '58 only warranted a 4-page programme, printed on what seems like tissue paper.

Page_0001.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was about but hardly saw a game when we were in the top flight, as i have said before i watch football for the entertainment and atmosphere not just the league table.

As for the guys that " I went to FA Cup Final, Wembley Play off and Cardiff Play offs" type of plastic i bet they didn't watch Chester City FC at the Preistfield.

I am probably the ONLY TRUE SUPAFAN on this board.

I miss the Preistfield stadium days, proper fans.

Proper fans know how to spell Priestfield. :p

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
It was my 28th season of following the Albion.
And my ambition had been achieved in seeing my club play in the top division and being able to support them in a Wembley cup final, something I always thought would never happen all those years previous in the old 3rd division south days.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
When was that I know my memory is fading but I can not remember beating Arsenal.

really,I'm mildly shocked BG

Easter 82 beat them 2-1

then September of the following season 1-0,Gerry Ryan got the winner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here