Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were you around in 1983

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I was in Liverpool. The solitary Albion fan on merseyside. When we reached the final I was elevated to unbelievable heights of popularity among the Scouse.

It was the first time that I realised how utterly ****ing cool it is to be Brighton.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Talk of the cup run brings back so many memories. Thinking we'd get stuffed at the Newcastle replay, the trouncing of Man City, disbelief at the result from Anfield, tension in the Norwich game, the huge crowd at the Clock End at Highbury and going nuts when Case hit the first goal, the Moseley save, leaving the ground and not knowing who we would play in the final and then hearing someone say "I'd rather have Man U come at us than Arsenal sit back and go for the one-nil", the fuss about Foster, all of the final day emotion, not knowing it was Stephens who had scored the equaliser because the PA couldn't be heard over the crowd noise the scoreboard didn't show the scorers and the replay disappointment. Great, great times and I still have my Semi Final, Final and Replay tickets and programmes framed in my study.

I was standing half way up the terrace behind the goal. As Case prepared to take the free kick someone shouted 'hear it comes Bolder' and it certainly did. Travelling back to Sussex seeing hundreds of cars festooned in blue white and yellow tooting their horns was fantastic.

The most vivid memory I have ever had supporting Brighton was staring at the giant manual scoreboard at Wembley seeing Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Manchester United 0 and not quite believing it was real.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I was 15 years old great times !!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
The away game v Liverpool in 79/80.
It was also my first experience of Merseyside police and those ling sticks. We parked nearby and there were some junior hoolies running through the car park chased by the police. They caught a couple of them and gave them a good crack across the wrists with these big sticks on some car bonnet. Put a nice dent in the bonnet but the police didn't seem to care about that and just carried on chasing the rest of the kids.
I have been to loads of away games in my time and I can't think of any other police force with those sticks. Were they actually legal?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

Travelling back to Sussex seeing hundreds of cars festooned in blue white and yellow tooting their horns was fantastic.

The most vivid memory I have ever had supporting Brighton was staring at the giant manual scoreboard at Wembley seeing Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Manchester United 0 and not quite believing it was real.
I remember the pubs around Victoria rammed with BHA. We had a skinfull and then decided to get to Wembley early to take in the atmosphere (didn't think we would be there again) other than the replay.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I was there too. That was a special goal, eh? Brings a lump to the throat.

Yes, a great goal, ball went straight as a die as I remember and am constantly reminded at every home game. Although a completely different free kick, I think Daves goal against Palace evokes similar emotions in me.

Remember talking to a guy on the tube on the way back, who said now your problems will begin, he was talking about getting a ticket for the final. He was right as I was unable to get a ticket and had to watch it on television

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Wonderful memories.

'82/83 was my first season of following The Albion, and I thought every season would be like that. Sadly not..

A clear memory of that year but from the following season, 26 December and my first trip to Palace. About half way through the first half, one of the Met's finest grabbed me, hauled me up the terrace and threw me out, for 'pushing' apparently (pwoppah nawtee).

At half time, wandering forlornly around the outside of that stadium, I approached a friendly fellow at one of the gates and blagged my way into the home seats, where I was witness to Danny Wilson and Neil Smillie scoring our goals.

Monday, Tuesday, Happy days!!!

Big Bill

Banned
Nov 4, 2015
I'm guessing 40k Brighton fans, about 10k no longer with us, maybe 15k moved away, 10k still local but no longer interested in the club, football and were only there because it was a cup final anyway, so that leaves about 5k who are still local and still fans. Out of those maybe 2.5k regularly go to matches and are season ticket holders. Maybe 100 of those post on NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here