Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Were these sounds part of your life?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
When I first set up a modem for internet access there were only 3 ISPs in the country. Didn't have a clue what I was doing as wasn't techy at all but the office I worked in wanted email and I was brave enough to try and set it up.

Jul 7, 2003
If you every go to Amberley Chalk Pits museum, there is (or was) a display there of old technology - phones, radios, etc. My kids found it very amusing how much of the technology on display were things that I had either owned or used for work - at least they did once I explained what they were!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
AMberley is fantastic, very educational.

Also a bit nostalgic for those of a certain age

I have some photographs of the computers and tape room at Seeboard in Worthing taken in the 70's, my Dad worked there for years. It looks like professor Peach is about to appear and nobble the Broadwater roundabout traffic lights !

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If you every go to Amberley Chalk Pits museum, there is (or was) a display there of old technology - phones, radios, etc. My kids found it very amusing how much of the technology on display were things that I had either owned or used for work - at least they did once I explained what they were!

I was in the Berlin Spy Museum in 2019 and was asked by a couple of teenage girls if I knew how the dial phone worked on an interactive exhibit. I felt very old at that point...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was in the Berlin Spy Museum in 2019 and was asked by a couple of teenage girls if I knew how the dial phone worked on an interactive exhibit. I felt very old at that point...

Did you tell them is was classified? :lolol:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We had AOL as our first ISP.

In 1997 my work mates clubbed together to buy me a modem for my Dell Pentium PC for my birthday, The modem was just over £100.

I remember the early days when an incoming phone call would often break the connection.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here