Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Were these sounds part of your life?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think I've still got my first ever modem up in the loft, a 1200/75 split rate that was free with a Micronet subscription in 1987.
Not only that, up until I retired in 2019 I was testing leased lines that had modems on the ends of them (without the dialling obviously).

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think I've still got my first ever modem up in the loft, a 1200/75 split rate that was free with a Micronet subscription in 1987.
Not only that, up until I retired in 2019 I was testing leased lines that had modems on the ends of them (without the dialling obviously).

that was quite fast ... started with a 300 baud modem which was in a large stainless steel box which doubled as a foot rest.... used it to upload data from a paper tape....

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Compared to the original dial up Internet even a low grade broadband is wonderful. When I first started using it we had to connect and it was always going down.. What is more it was charged by the hour or minutes that you were on .

Jul 7, 2003
I used to manage rack of modems back in the late 80's / early 90's and got used to listening to the different tones to understand when there were connection issues. That sounds so sad these days but it was a quick way to isolate problems.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My first ever dial up modem was the Alcatel Frog.

EwbrI-pWUAEwZXe.jpg

I found a bargain ISP that charged a flat 1p per minute for internet connection.

Aye, them was the days ....

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Certainly was.

Also charged a fortune by the minute, so I dare'd not use it unless I had to.

Tragically slow by comparison with now, but did a job.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
Seem to remember that there were the Hayes and US Robotics ones that came in with super speed.

I used to set up remote connection using big old brown BT9600 modem with multiplexors in to split the signal across four dumb terminals. The upgrade to 19.2k modems was game changing:smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sights and sounds.

white-dog-poo.jpg

Should have Peter Kay's new show written by the end of the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here