Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] We're now halfway through the winter. But where is it?

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
our visiting hedgehog came round till early december, left and has now been back 3 times this week , so much for sleeping in !

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Read this thread and then had to take the dog out for a walk. Surprised at the numbers of people walking around with woolly hats and gloves on when the coldest it must have been was about 10c. Those people must really suffer when it actually gets cold!

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Here in Sweden we obviously got a bit of snow in the north but here in Gothenburg.. nothing. Yea, for two days in December there was a few snow flakes, but other than that - nothing.

Pretty unusual, but I expect the evil gods of weather to give us a piss cold February and March.. and April perhaps.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We had a few frosts in December, it was actually icy a few mornings in places, but it didn't last and didn't cut deep as the ground temp is so high, and wet.

Feb/March seems to be the new winter, if at all. Goodwood members meeting is a good gauge of when it'll snow.

Days are getting longer, noticeably already, which is good. I'm not that bothered by most weather, but dark is annoying. 7am - 9pm light every day would be perfect

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I noticed this down in Sussex last week. My mum has a very large pot of parsley growing in the garden.

She also has the odd rose in bloom.

I hadn't checked my discarded pot of parsley - Yep one growing better that it did in the summer.

Tulips coming up too ( Usually a bad sign ) and as above lots of squirrel action.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Read this thread and then had to take the dog out for a walk. Surprised at the numbers of people walking around with woolly hats and gloves on when the coldest it must have been was about 10c. Those people must really suffer when it actually gets cold!

I also noticed this I was out walking the dog just jeans and TShirt while others were done up like nook of the north

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
My fault. I bought a windscreen protector, not had a single frost since... Stupid thing still in its wrapper on the back seat.

I work for a company that sells windscreen protectors amongst other things.

The last few weeks have been grim at work. :down:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have noticed that every year the days start geting longer after Chritsmas, and it starts to get warmer. Then it can get very warm, but after that the days get shorter and the leaves fall off the trees. Really strange this. Happens practically every year :shrug:

Any chance you could relay this crucial information to the senior managers and logistics people at National Rail, Southern, Thameslink and Gatwick Express, only it seems not a single one of them has ever noticed. Ta.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well, I turn it on manually to take the chill out rather than setting it to one temperature.

Ours is just 17.5 all the time. If it feels a bit chilly its A jumper and/or burn something.

TBH heating has been used more to keep damp away as opposed to cold in recent months.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Snowdropped have flowered and gone already, daffs are out, crocuses not far behind them.

Christ knows what the hibernating creatures are thinking. Saw a badger up our lane the other day, pretty sure he was wearing sunglasses and bermuda shorts.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A crisp frosty morning here in Rustington. All the lawns, roofs, and cars are covered in it. To offset this, there’s a nice wintry sun in a fairly clear sky.

According to Siri, the temperature (at just before 9am) is 1c.

NB. We’re less than one month into winter.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Snowdropped have flowered and gone already, daffs are out, crocuses not far behind them.

Christ knows what the hibernating creatures are thinking. Saw a badger up our lane the other day, pretty sure he was wearing sunglasses and bermuda shorts.

Badgers don’t hibernate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here