Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done chris holroyd

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Maybe the center backs were instructed to lump it forward when you have two quick strikers on the pitch?

I'm sure they were.

But that only really works if you you're playing against a defence that is pushing forward - or you're on the counter-attack. If they sit back, there's no space for nippy forwards to run into, meaning you have to play it with their back to goal and a centre-half trying to swap shorts with them during the game.

The Kick Twins just didn't make a particularly intelligent job of what ball to play - especially up to someone the size of Holroyd.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Thought he was really impressive tonight, possibly my MOM. Some really nice lay offs and great balls into the box. Worked really hard. He may not score as many but I reckon he will be responsible for bucketloads.

Maybe the center backs were instructed to lump it forward when you have two quick strikers on the pitch?

In which case the plan would be to hoof the ball over the Huddersfield defence not at it?
Some variety and speed/urgency in the distribution from our GK might also have helped - as it would most weeks.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Holroyd was ok, nothing special. He needs a partner like Murray who can be arsed to jump for a ball, unlike Dickinson who has a head like a fifty pence piece when he actually connects in the air after every tenth attempt :facepalm:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I prefer the term HOOFATRONS as described by Tony Meolas Loan Spell during the game

Yep, that works beautifully too. Maybe the way forward is to cunningly utilise combined comedic wisdom & refer to them as THE HOOFATRON TWINS innit?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In which case the plan would be to hoof the ball over the Huddersfield defence not at it?
Some variety and speed/urgency in the distribution from our GK might also have helped - as it would most weeks.

I agree, but then hardly anyone makes themselves available for that quick throw-out.

The best person at that (probably the only person) is Dean Cox.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Liked the look of him last night, he looks like he might have something about him.

What a pity Holroyd won't have Forster as a mentor to take him under his wing and help him find his feet at this level. He could have learned LOADS from a canny old warhorse like him.

I agree, but then hardly anyone makes themselves available for that quick throw-out.

The best person at that (probably the only person) is Dean Cox.

Fair point but that's not always the case Al.
FDM never, ever looks to re-cycle the ball quickly and invariably resorts (eventually) to using the 9-iron that's attached to the end of his right leg. With the speed we now have in the team such distribution unnecessarily restricts our attacking options (imo). Quickly and from the back is exactly how Villa played against us, Millwall's keeper was always seeking to get the ball moving and take look at the Orient goalie here (after about 50 secs)
BBC Sport - Football - Leyton Orient 1-1 Brighton

For much of the game yesterday, certainly in the first half, all 20 outfield players were compressed in a 20-25m box centred on the half way line with FDM seemingly waiting for them to form up before kicking the ball into the melee - usually at their two centrebacks - Doh! What is the point when our forwards aren't good in the air, it's just giving possession to the opposition all the time?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
FDM never, ever looks to re-cycle the ball quickly and invariably resorts (eventually) to using the 9-iron that's attached to the end of his right leg. With the speed we now have in the team such distribution unnecessarily restricts our attacking options (imo). Quickly and from the back is exactly how Villa played against us, Millwall's keeper was always seeking to get the ball moving and take look at the Orient goalie here (after about 50 secs)

For much of the game yesterday, certainly in the first half, all 20 outfield players were compressed in a 20-25m box centred on the half way line with FDM seemingly waiting for them to form up before kicking the ball into the melee - usually at their two centrebacks - Doh! What is the point when our forwards aren't good in the air, it's just giving possession to the opposition all the time?

Agree to a point, but...

In addition to no-one making themselves available, there are times when he claims the ball and (something he evidently picked up from Paul Crichton) sprints to the edge of the area, while the rest of the players trot out.

Of course, he doesn't do that every time - far from it - but there would be variations on that IF someone other than just Dean Cox can make themselves available.

Agree to a point, but...

In addition to no-one making themselves available, there are times when he claims the ball and (something he evidently picked up from Paul Crichton) sprints to the edge of the area, while the rest of the players trot out.

Of course, he doesn't do that every time - far from it - but there would be variations on that IF someone other than just Dean Cox can make themselves available.

OK but I'll be taking copious notes on Saturday.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Liked the look of him last night, he looks like he might have something about him.

What a pity Holroyd won't have Forster as a mentor to take him under his wing and help him find his feet at this level. He could have learned LOADS from a canny old warhorse like him.

I was thinking something like this last night.

However, to the extent that Adam Virgo, when playing upfront five seasons ago, evidently learned a fair bit from Steve Claridge while he was here, I can't help feeling Forster is not much of a mentor. Or if he is, his pupils are not learning.

Point in case, I haven't seen a huge improvement in form or style from any of our (young) forwards since they joined us. Of course most of that is almost certainly down to the individuals themselves and I am in no way sticking the blame on Forster but - much as I am a fan of his - Glenn Murray's (for instance) game has hardly altered since he joined.

In other words, is it the case that they have not learned anything, or is it that they have not been taught anything? :shrug:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

Spot on Alex. Kuipers is a good shot stopper but distribution skills are awful. Yes his kicking has improved but it's all one slow pace. Outfield players know there is not much point getting ready for a quick throw out as the ball will be hoofed up the middle or out of the playing area.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Holdroyd = New OGH? Cheap, quick, seems to love to play... Could be a fantastic purchace. Exeter should be a goal fest if we start with Holdroyd and Fozzie or Murray.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Played very well indeed for a first game. Needs confidence of a goal and could then do very well .

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Going to need a big forward or someone that will win headers next to him. Got a bag full of pace and not afraid to take people on. Think Dickinson was the wrong choice of partner because he don't winner headers either and is more about tricks and fancy flicks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here