Well done chris holroyd

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Just on my way back now, shame we couldn't make the most of our chances...

BUT I was WELL IMPRESSED by young chrissy boy.

The guy is direct, pacey, runs all match, battles, and knows when to play the simple ball.

Yes it's one match, but he has a real touch of class I think.

So well done chris on a good first start!

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Chester City FC: Ex-Blues striker Chris Holroyd ready for take off with Brighton & Hove Albion - Chester Chronicle

Chester City FC: Ex-Blues striker Chris Holroyd ready for take off with Brighton & Hove Albion
Feb 4 2010 Chester Chronicle

WHILE his former team-mates are left to wonder what the future holds for them at crisis-crippled Chester City, Chris Holroyd’s career is ready for take-off.

The 23-year-old striker has signed an 18-month deal with Gus Poyet’s Brighton & Hove Albion after proving himself to be one of the hottest properties outside of the Football League with Cambridge United.

It is a far cry from 18 months ago when Holroyd was deemed surplus to requirements by Chester, then in League Two. Needing, in his own words, to ‘drop down to come back up again’, he joined non-league Cambridge.

A steady first season followed, including an appearance in Cambridge’s Blue Square Premier play-off final defeat at Wembley. But it is this season that Holroyd has begun to fulfil the potential he was unable to unleash at Chester.

Sixteen goals brought an England C international call-up and a whole host of admiring glances from League bosses. But it was former Chelsea star Poyet, now manager of League One strugglers Brighton, who secured Holroyd’s transfer for an undisclosed fee.

“It’s a brilliant move and as soon as I heard Brighton were interested, I was desperate to come here,” said Holroyd, who hit a brilliant hat-trick for Cambridge on his first return to the Deva Stadium in August.

“I heard how big a club it was and I just thought it was the right time to make the step up.

“When I left Chester, I still had to prove myself. I went to Cambridge looking to play games. I did that last season, although I only started about half the games, but this season I’ve pretty much started all of them, and I’ve scored some goals.

“I had to get my career going again because it was a bit bitty at Chester. Sometimes you have to drop down to come back up again, and I wasn’t fazed by that.”

Macclesfield-born Holroyd, who made his debut for Brighton in their 1-0 home loss to Milwall on Saturday, is sad to see what has happened to Chester since he left.

“I always look out for their results and I still know a few of the boys like Kev Roberts and Shaun Kelly,” said the former Crewe Alex academy player.

“Chester gave me my chance and I will always be grateful to them for that. I just hope it gets better for them in the future.”

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Non league strikers normally take time to bed into League football, it might take time but I reckon he will be a great player for us..

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
My only critisism would be he seemed VERY one footed but agree overall it was a promising first 90 mins

Ah you say that but I think his best moment was in the first half when he ran to the byline and SMASHED it with his left foot across the area, needless to say dickinson didn't reach it!

But yes, he certainly looked to mostly cut in on his right.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
He sounded superb on the radio, If he gives 100% every game, he will be a great player for us.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He did well and should have been starting with Murray an experienced head to guide him through.

Thought Dickerson was pants tonight and judging by the fact he knew he was going to be subbed he knew as well.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
time for a holroyd murray partnership on saturday

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
A few great touches, shame they fell to Dickinson really. Ran the channels and won a few headers I think he may do well given time and wait for this NSC Patience!!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Yep has to work on his left foot, but totally deserved the MoM tonight... looks good!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Ah you say that but I think his best moment was in the first half when he ran to the byline and SMASHED it with his left foot across the area, needless to say dickinson didn't reach it!

That was the only good thing about the second half. Had Dickinson gambled instead of stopping in the box, he would've had an easy goal.

Agree with the comments about Holdroyd. He started slowly but once he got into the game he was winning balls, making good runs and usually found a blue shirt when he passed it. Could be a very good player.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought he was pretty poor in the first half as we had nobody able to hold the ball up. He looked completely lost and couldnt read the game. Much improved 2nd half when Murray came on and held the ball up for him. Maybe OK but I will reserve judgement until I have seen more of him but none the less would start with him and Murray on Saturday. When Murray came on he showed that GP decision to put him on the bench was wrong. MOM without a doubt was Virgo.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Thought he was pretty poor in the first half as we had nobody able to hold the ball up. He looked completely lost and couldnt read the game. Much improved 2nd half when Murray came on and held the ball up for him. Maybe OK but I will reserve judgement until I have seen more of him but none the less would start with him and Murray on Saturday. When Murray came on he showed that GP decision to put him on the bench was wrong. MOM without a doubt was Virgo.

Disagree slightly as I thought he was good 2nd half before murrays introduction and this continued when Murray came on. Virgo and the rest of the defence were solid tonight.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

A good debut from the fella, and this summed up why Dickinson is a cock. You just knew if it was Murray or dare I say Forster we it would have been a goal.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
he looked decent. Has good pace and thought when up front. Linked up well with both Dickinson and Murray. He looks very composed on the ball which is good. Should have done better when he got free from his marker from Bennetts free kick.

Encouraged by him, and looks like the sort of striker that will score loads of goals in a short space of time

Him and Murray will be a good strikeforce I think

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
A good debut from the fella, and this summed up why Dickinson is a cock. You just knew if it was Murray or dare I say Forster we it would have been a goal.

I thought Dickinson worked really hard tonight but was consistently fouled by the 'uddersfield defenders.The ref was the cock all throughout the match.

Promising stuff from Chris Holroyd but it's going to take him a few matches to bed in.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
He looked good.

Having the ball played to feet to him appears to suit him better than the long hoofs from the Kick Twins.
Maybe the center backs were instructed to lump it forward when you have two quick strikers on the pitch?

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
As I heard someone sitting close by he is definatly not a Johnny Dixon !!!!

Yes was impressed and hopefully will turn in to a gem. Hadn't seen Painter or Calderon before either and again very impressed. Thought we played well, shame we couldn't stick one in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports