We should be playing Chris O'Grady

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Very much agreed. O'Grady has a good goal scoring record, Best does not. O'Grady looks like scoring, Best does not. I have nothing against Best, but feel that O'Grady would've tucked away at least one or two of the, what seemed like about ten, clear cut chances that we had in the first 30 minutes on Saturday.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
on the face of it, it is hard to understand why COG has been benched when he appeared to be finding his form. My only thought is that maybe Hughton simply knows that for Best to come good, or get sharper can only come from playing minutes. I think a fit, sharp leon Best will provide more than a fit sharp COG. That's a big gamble to take given our predicament, but maybe he is also thinking further ahead.. give Best the opportunity to prove himself as he is the deal that we can secure next season..maybe everyone knows that COG is here only to the end of the season. If the midfield continues to score like it did Saturday then it is a gamble worth taking, but....

Yes, a truly massive BUT.

Frankly l'm not interested in next season at the moment. I think all of our efforts should be focused on THIS season, i.e. avoiding relegation, which would be a massive disaster for the club.

Whether Best is signed permanantly in the summer, of if O'Grady goes, just doesn't concern me in the slightest at the moment. Let's get ourselves safe THIS season first.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Good to see the goals going in on Saturday, but they werent from our strikers were they? Baldock missed a couple of good chances. Best seemed to work hard but no results. We all love to see CMS running around.. but again no final product at the moment.

Chris O'Grady seemed to be getting into some form so why is he missing out? He's top bloke. Intelligent and hard working. Get him back in the starting line up!

And most importantly he's our not a loan who will come and go!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Yes, a truly massive BUT.

Frankly l'm not interested in next season at the moment. I think all of our efforts should be focused on THIS season, i.e. avoiding relegation, which would be a massive disaster for the club.

Whether Best is signed permanantly in the summer, of if O'Grady goes, just doesn't concern me in the slightest at the moment. Let's get ourselves safe THIS season first.

I agree with you by the way..

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Just as Chris O'Grady looked as if he had turned a corner, and was running into some sort of form, our new manager decides to bring in Leon (George) Best, who had scored a few goals for him up at Newcastle about a hundred years ago.

Best, given time, may prove to be the real deal, but time is something we don't have, and l would prefer to see O'Grady lead the line at the moment. He is big, he is strong, he can hold the ball up, and he was beginning to bang in the odd goal until he was dropped.

Absolutely this. Best was not at all impressive on Saturday. O'Grady was hitting some form after being (wrongly in my opinion) ignored by Finnish Sammi ... so what does Mr New Manager Hughton do? Drop him. It makes about as much sense as some of Hyppia's decisions earlier in the season.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, and apart from missing an open goal on Saturday, Best seems like a lazy sod ... and we don't need one of those.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Anyone suggesting that we have to play Best otherwise we have to pay more of his wages or whatever, look at his first few games..............he didn't start.....

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
I hope Chris Houghton isnt missing the prospect of O'Grady by being too blinkered about having his old chum Best save the day. Give O'Grady a start against Leeds.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
6 goals in 43 Championship games. Yup - that's what he'd managed before joining us. I think expectations are way too high. He is a proven failure at Championship level

I want to be supportive of CH but he must stop picking his mate over COG who was just coming into form. A travesty. I've seen absolutely nothing from Best so far that suggests he isn't a graduate of the school of dross with his classmates Obika & Lita.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
6 goals in 43 Championship games. Yup - that's what he'd managed before joining us. I think expectations are way too high. He is a proven failure at Championship level

I want to be supportive of CH but he must stop picking his mate over COG who was just coming into form. A travesty. I've seen absolutely nothing from Best so far that suggests he isn't a graduate of the school of dross with his classmates Obika & Lita.

Spot on.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think Best is complete shite and won't score a goal for us even if he started all our games from now until the end of the season, however if Hughton keeps playing him over O'Grady he must be doing something right (I don't buy in to theories loan players have to start games as written in their contracts)

pnealesmith

Aug 22, 2014
COG should have been a shoe-in after NJ brought him back from the Hypia dead zone. His willingness to do battle up front, hold the ball up, win headers & score the odd goal was in itself a big part of getting the fans back on-side which then started to create the positive atmosphere to encourage the whole team (ie at Fulham, Brentford & Charlton). That all seems to be lost again with the introduction of teachers pet Best! Bring back COG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports