We need to talk about Dale

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Even if Stephens is on strike he won't go cheap and someone will have to meet the club's valuation or no sale.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Confirmation? Wow Twitter is now FACT! Maybe you will be correct AN, but taking Twitter as confirmation, really?

These are 2 newspaper stories both reported independently of each other confirming the story (the Albion football writer for the Argus, the Burnley football writer for the Lancashire Telegraph). Twitter has nothing to do with it.

As you have already been told, these are newspaper reports, not just Twitter.

Yeah, thanks Thunderbolt.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Bloom has helpded fund and rebuild a team 3-4 times now in the last 6-7 years. Changing the manager, and the entire squad with three play offs in four seasons and one promotion..
Only once has it completely backfired. I don't buy the argument that this is the only chance we'll have. (Plenty said the same about 2012/13).
Nor should,i'm guessing, the club's commitment to running the club sustainably, not allowing players or agents to dictate unfair terms, seeking value in the transfer market, commitment to the academy and youth simply go out of the window because of the riches on offer up there...

I don't question the running of the club. I completely support 'not allowing players or agents to dictate unfair terms, seeking value in the transfer market, commitment to the academy and youth'. I also know Bloom has helped fund and rebuild the side multiple times.

I'm hardly suggesting we should go out and spend millions like Boro and Derby have. I think Stephens and Kayal are fantastic examples of what can be done with clever recruitment. I feel like your making me out to be an idiot who wants promotion at any cost. That's not the case at all.

I think, in this case, our side is built around two box-to-box midfielders who enable us to play 4-4-2. If you said to me, Hemed has a year left, or Dunk has a year left, I'd say okay, it would be sensible to sell them. In this case, I think selling this individual will significantly damage our promotion prospects. I've got no problem with anyone disagreeing with me on that as it would be pretty damn boring if we all agreed on everything.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

What can Hughton mean, is he talking in riddles?

“We’ve got two games before the window and then, of course, I’ve got decisions to make.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

'Facts'? Or the official 'spin' being spun by the club? I honestly don't know, but as explanations go for the absence of a key player, it sounds pretty flimsy to me.

I'm one of those who fears that Stephens has played his last game for us, and that without him, our chances of (automatic) promotion will be seriously reduced - unless, of course, we can somehow find a like-for-like replacement in the next week-and-a-half :annoyed: .

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
'Facts'? Or the official 'spin' being spun by the club? I honestly don't know, but as explanations go for the absence of a key player, it sounds pretty flimsy to me.

I'm one of those who fears that Stephens has played his last game for us, and that without him, our chances of (automatic) promotion will be seriously reduced - unless, of course, we can somehow find a like-for-like replacement in the next week-and-a-half :annoyed: .
Whatever is really going on, and that article is vague enough in places to leave several possibilities, CH says that, categorically, he did not refuse to play and is not that sort of player. That bit I do believe.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex

“We’ve got two games before the window and then, of course, I’ve got decisions to make.

I took it as meaning 'We've got two games before Saturday and before the window, so of course I've got decisions to make' which would tie in with the Stephens is doing extra training line.

Also why do we think DS refused to travel? Here's a possible conversation
Someone: 'you in the squad for Reading Dale?
DS: ' no, I'm not going, not travelling'

Could be interpreted as refusal but also ties in with the extra training line.

Lets just accept that none of us know anything at all until it is announced on way or another. And that is as it should be

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Whether he turns out tomorrow night v Oxford will be a pretty significant indicator, I'd say.

If advanced negotiations with Burnley were in progress, neither Dale nor them would want him in action and risk injury.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Whether he turns out tomorrow night v Oxford will be a pretty significant indicator, I'd say.

If advanced negotiations with Burnley were in progress, neither Dale nor them would want him in action and risk injury.

Saturday is much more significant. If he is really going to be sticking around that game has far much importance attached to it.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

That seems to assume that we will be putting out a full-strength team tomorrow night. I reckon that we will do what we did against Colchester, and play more of our fringe or under-23 players, while keeping our established first-team players fresh - and uninjured - for Newcastle on Saturday.

The Sock of Poskett

Jun 12, 2009
Saturday is much more significant. If he is really going to be sticking around that game has far much importance attached to it.

True, but if Chris' comments about his match fitness are to be taken at face value, then seeing him play tomorrow night would suggest to me he is being sharpened up to match fitness for us, and would play some part on Saturday. If he doesn't play tomorrow night (particularly if not even on bench) then I'd put money on him being on his way.

The Sock of Poskett

Jun 12, 2009
That seems to assume that we will be putting out a full-strength team tomorrow night. I reckon that we will do what we did against Colchester, and play more of our fringe or under-23 players, while keeping our established first-team players fresh - and uninjured - for Newcastle on Saturday.

Don't think it will be a full-strength team by any means - the side we had out against Colchester did include a number of first team members, and others were on the bench. So not a stretch to consider Dale could be one of them, particularly as Chris specifically mentioned getting him ready "for Tuesday and Saturday".

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Let's face it. If we were all outsiders looking at these events at another club, we would all be convinced he's going.

I think we all hope it isn't the case he's going, but all the arguments that he is staying sound like clutching at straws to me.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No doubt Stephens will have a little niggle injury that will keep him out of the squad tomorrow night.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Here's the full quote
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14695574.Albion_Analysis__Why_a_draw_at_Reading_felt_like_a_defeat/

“Dale’s fine. I brought him and Ollie in midweek. I don’t know if he expected it but it was hard on Beram and Siddy.
“I would imagine he saw that and if I looked at his performance midweek he covered the distance he normally does, so he is not so far off, but he didn’t have the effect on the game Dale normally can.
“There’s no doubt he’s a little bit short, which is normal. He missed a decent chunk of pre-season and hasn’t played the amount of games others have but he will be fine.
“One thing I can categorically tell you is he did not refuse to play. Dale has been excellent for us, he’s not that type of individual. He trains hard every day, he’s a very good professional.”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I took it as meaning 'We've got two games before Saturday and before the window, so of course I've got decisions to make' which would tie in with the Stephens is doing extra training line.

Also why do we think DS refused to travel? Here's a possible conversation
Someone: 'you in the squad for Reading Dale?
DS: ' no, I'm not going, not travelling'

Could be interpreted as refusal but also ties in with the extra training line.

Lets just accept that none of us know anything at all until it is announced on way or another. And that is as it should be

I read it as he makes decisions as the window closes not before :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I understood it given he was talking about his selection so far this season, he's got four first choice midfielders , he hopes, so its going to to be difficult to decide who to play in that middle 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports