Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to talk about Dale

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I would keep him. If he throws a strop and doesn't play well because his head isn't right or whatever bollocks (I don't think he would fwiw) then he's only hurting his own prospects of a move next summer as why would a Prem club sign someone who'd just had a poor season? The best thing Dale can do, if we don't sell him, is play out of his skin so that come next May, he can either sign a new deal with us or sign a better deal with someone else. If he gives us 100% this season and leaves for nothing next summer, that's absolutely fine by me. If I was TB I'd be gambling by keeping here. It'll be interesting to see what happens, I sure hope Tony agrees with me!

How would that effect the dressing room spirit? An unhappy player hanging around the training pitch or dressing room?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
How would that effect the dressing room spirit? An unhappy player hanging around the training pitch or dressing room?

I don't think it would be a problem. It's in his interests to play as well as he can every time he's on a football pitch. Every single one of our players would jump at the chance to play in the Premier League, they will all understand his situation. If the window shuts and DS is still here then he and everyone else will be giving their best week in week out.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I would keep him. If he throws a strop and doesn't play well because his head isn't right or whatever bollocks (I don't think he would fwiw) then he's only hurting his own prospects of a move next summer as why would a Prem club sign someone who'd just had a poor season? The best thing Dale can do, if we don't sell him, is play out of his skin so that come next May, he can either sign a new deal with us or sign a better deal with someone else. If he gives us 100% this season and leaves for nothing next summer, that's absolutely fine by me. If I was TB I'd be gambling by keeping here. It'll be interesting to see what happens, I sure hope Tony agrees with me!

We don't know for sure what's going on but if he doesn't want to be here anymore, there's absolutely no point keeping him. It never ends well if you try and keep a player against his will, his value decreases and it just can't be very good to have someone around who would rather not be. So the club just have to get as much money for him as possible, hence the excuse yesterday, and then replace him. No easy thing unless Norwood is that player. That's why yesterday is so significant as up until that point, despite all the Burnley rumours and reported bids, there had been no indication that Stephens was actively engineering a move or being difficult. That may have now changed. If he wants to leave the club, it's best for everyone if he moves on.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This is reminiscent of Nathan Jones telling Oscar, that Bridcutt's head wasn't in the right place. The only difference is that there was a firm bid in place for him.

I think fans forget players are people too.

People who sign legally binding contracts.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
He certainly looked like he wanted to be here when he came on against Forest?

Something may have happened since then, but he looked 100% committed to me :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I can't help but feel it would be an massive, massive error to sell him.

Club don't want to sell him...

But he doesn't , as yet, want to sign a new contract.

If he continues to refuse or we don't offer a contract that he wants to sign, then it does make sense to sell him given he's a year left on his contract. Thats not a massive error.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

If he continues to refuse or we don't offer a contract that he wants to sign, then it does make sense to sell him given he's a year left on his contract. Thats not a massive error.
Or we keep him and try and win promotion. Depends if TB likes a gamble

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
And get fined two weeks wages for their misdemeanours, see Dunk Lewis, 24th August 2015.

Two weeks wages at say £12k per week, to engineer a move for a guesstimated £30k per week. HE put pen to paper, not his agent, not CH, he did it all by himself. Footballers are USUALLY the thick kids at school, crap at academics cos they concentrate on sport in the hope of stardom. When they make it then congratulations to them as many fall by the wayside. So, average Joe footballer earns bloody good money that the the rest of us can only dream of, at 12k per week that is £600,000 per year! And you think that I should remember that footballers are people too, when he is possibly refusing to play?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
His Agent would get a percentage cut of any new deal he negotiates, whether it be with us or someone else

I can't see him signing a new contract with us if he's here at the start of September. He's only sign if we get promoted.
Definitely worth a gamble, the £7m is chump change compared to the rewards of the Prem, but at 27 Stephens may feel he wants a move now so he can spend his 'prime' in the top tier. It is a risk to keep a potentially pissed off player even if he will be eager to impress suitors.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Two weeks wages at say £12k per week, to engineer a move for a guesstimated £30k per week. HE put pen to paper, not his agent, not CH, he did it all by himself. Footballers are USUALLY the thick kids at school, crap at academics cos they concentrate on sport in the hope of stardom. When they make it then congratulations to them as many fall by the wayside. So, average Joe footballer earns bloody good money that the the rest of us can only dream of, at 12k per week that is £600,000 per year! And you think that I should remember that footballers are people too, when he is possibly refusing to play?

I don't think you should do anything. I was expressing my opinion.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I've searched all the usual avenues on Twitter, and there's nothing at the moment.

Just have to wait i guess. Got a feeling his agent has said something in his ear to him to do what he has done. Once word gets out i'm sure Burnley will come back in.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

That depends on whether or not you think having DS is the difference between promotion and another season in the Championship. I honestly think selling him could cost us promotion. £7m now or £170m & Premier League football?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just have to wait i guess. Got a feeling his agent has said something in his ear to him to do what he has done. Once word gets out i'm sure Burnley will come back in.

Burnley have already bought another player. I'm not saying they won't but there's no guarantees they will.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
He certainly looked like he wanted to be here when he came on against Forest?

Something may have happened since then, but he looked 100% committed to me :shrug:

I know I'm perhaps being very naive and maybe that's because I'm so desperate for him to stay but I agree. There were no signs of a strop against Forest and it is possible CH is telling the truth. Time will tell!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here