Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to talk about Dale

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not long left before all this comes to a close. We will know writhin a few days if the club have invested in an attempt at auto promotion. Worst case scenario is Stephens and Dunk out and nobody or inferior player in. Best case scenario we keep everyone and add a striker and CB. The season probably hangs on the close of the transfer window.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hughton literally said a couple of days back that Dale would be playing Tuesday and Saturday..

he didn't quite say that. he rarely says a player will be playing in the first team anyway. he says they'll be available.

"[Dale] missed the first game of the season as well and the midweek cup game.
“I wasn't going to start him and we just felt he would get more value from a good day's training yesterday and today and be up firing for midweek and next Saturday.”
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...llenge_which_floored_Rosenior_was__reckless_/

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
he didn't quite say that. he rarely says a player will be playing in the first team anyway. he says they'll be available.

"[Dale] missed the first game of the season as well and the midweek cup game.
“I wasn't going to start him and we just felt he would get more value from a good day's training yesterday and today and be up firing for midweek and next Saturday.”
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...llenge_which_floored_Rosenior_was__reckless_/

He's been waffling and needs some verbal support from Bloom or Barber IMO. He's been hung out to dry in what is a very unsavoury situation imo

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"be up firing for midweek and next Saturday.”

I know it wasn't verbatim, but "up firing for midweek and next Saturday" is definitely meant to make us believe he'd be involved in both games. I'm not blaming Hughton, for the record...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He's been waffling and needs some verbal support from Bloom or Barber IMO. He's been hung out to dry in what is a very unsavoury situation imo

Latest on this by Andy Naylor responding to sceptical tweeters...

[tweet]767741533374259200[/tweet]

[tweet]767746035330457600[/tweet]

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Well we will know one way or another in the next 10 days. Personally I hope he stays and to a degree I can understand him missing Tuesdays game if he will be needed Saturday when I am expecting us to go with a three man midfield. But, like a lot of people on here, I feel he may well be off before the window closes and if that is the case I would rather do that sooner to enable us to replace him and add but the CB and CF we need to really challenge for top two, although I am sure one doesn't depend on the other. Not really enjoying this window much.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not long left before all this comes to a close. We will know writhin a few days if the club have invested in an attempt at auto promotion. Worst case scenario is Stephens and Dunk out and nobody or inferior player in. Best case scenario we keep everyone and add a striker and CB. The season probably hangs on the close of the transfer window.

Well said... Tony et al... over to you...

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
'Facts'? Or the official 'spin' being spun by the club? I honestly don't know, but as explanations go for the absence of a key player, it sounds pretty flimsy to me.

I'm one of those who fears that Stephens has played his last game for us, and that without him, our chances of (automatic) promotion will be seriously reduced - unless, of course, we can somehow find a like-for-like replacement in the next week-and-a-half :annoyed: .

At this moment it time, I'll take his words over your own spin!! :)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Been saying it all along. Its mainly about not selling this window. Sell Dale and we have accepted champ football for another year. Simple as that.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Been saying it all along. Its mainly about not selling this window. Sell Dale and we have accepted champ football for another year. Simple as that.

I disagree. If we hold onto what we have and bring in nobody, we will still struggle for automatics. We need another GOOD attacking option and defensive cover.

We literally need to hope for the best case scenario of bringing in at least two and letting nobody go. It's really up to the club now over the next few days to back up the intent they have conveyed to us from the end of last season until now.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
IMO CH just wants a fit DS for Newcastle nothing to see here.
The same number of points were available at Reading. He was fit enough to play 90 minutes against Rotherham. Strange that that game took a lot out of his fitness levels.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The same number of points were available at Reading. He was fit enough to play 90 minutes against Rotherham. Strange that that game took a lot out of his fitness levels.

Not really. Match fitness is a strange one. I found it very odd that he played 90 minutes again Rotherham. It's not the way to get back into match fitness after an injury/not much football.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
My thinking is, from the attempted purchase of Pritchard we know it's likely that Hughton is looking to play a 451/4411 which would mean in the tougher games (Newcastle) we would be looking to play 3 in the middle. Therefore it would make sense that he us trying to get good game time for all of our CMs before Saturdays game so that we have 4 match fit Midfielders and not 2 like a lot of last season.
This being the case it's just as important Norwood and Sidwell are up and running as soon as possible too. Saving Stephens until Saturday could genuinely be a tactic to ensure we're going to actually wins games against the top 6 this season.
It certainly would make sense to have a midfield 3 of Norwood/Stephens/Kayal as part of a 451 for away games and harder games and then a more attacking 3 of Kayal/Stephens/New No.10 as part of a 4411 for home games etc. Similar systems with a fair bit of rotation.

Either that or he's off? [emoji57][emoji23]

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Wow. Some amazing conspiracy theories doing the rounds. Maybe Chris Hughton is just telling the truth - that Stephens' fitness is a week or so behind the rest. What message would it send to players of Sidwell and Norwood's calibre if they were then excluded for a player who's not even fully fit yet. Hard to see he'd have played at Oxford anyway so no real story there. If he's not even on the bench at Newcastle then it would seem more fishy but, given that nobody who actually checks these things with the clubs has come up with any more firm interest from Burnley, plus the fact that Hughton would have very little to gain by lying, I'm happy to believe the boss.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
What's Stephens' value with more than a year left on his contract? Anywhere between £6m and £12m?

Less than one year left? Anywhere between £4m and £7m - or however much Burnley are prepared to pay.

Old logic says you sell an unhappy player whose contract is running out - £6m vs. nothing in July.

£6m is a lot to turn down.

But new logic says promotion is worth £180m. How crucial is Dale to our promotion chances? Very.

You wouldn't sell him for £6m when the prize is £180m.

And who says he's unhappy? No statement in the press. No transfer request handed in. No attempts to force Chris Hughton's hand.

He can walk for nothing in the summer, but where he ends up - and what his wages will be - are dictated by his performance for us this season.

Play well (and regularly) for us, and he won't be short of offers next season. Including one from us, you'd assume.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
What's Stephens' value with more than a year left on his contract? Anywhere between £6m and £12m?

Less than one year left? Anywhere between £4m and £7m - or however much Burnley are prepared to pay.

Old logic says you sell an unhappy player whose contract is running out - £6m vs. nothing in July.

£6m is a lot to turn down.

But new logic says promotion is worth £180m. How crucial is Dale to our promotion chances? Very.

You wouldn't sell him for £6m when the prize is £180m.

And who says he's unhappy? No statement in the press. No transfer request handed in. No attempts to force Chris Hughton's hand.

He can walk for nothing in the summer, but where he ends up - and what his wages will be - are dictated by his performance for us this season.

Play well (and regularly) for us, and he won't be short of offers next season. Including one from us, you'd assume.

Quite.

I fail to see how it's ok to take Beram to his word and let him run his contract down, but re. Dale we must sell if nothing is signed before Thursday?

Their partnership was the strongest part of our side throughout last season.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Wow. Some amazing conspiracy theories doing the rounds. Maybe Chris Hughton is just telling the truth - that Stephens' fitness is a week or so behind the rest. What message would it send to players of Sidwell and Norwood's calibre if they were then excluded for a player who's not even fully fit yet. Hard to see he'd have played at Oxford anyway so no real story there. If he's not even on the bench at Newcastle then it would seem more fishy but, given that nobody who actually checks these things with the clubs has come up with any more firm interest from Burnley, plus the fact that Hughton would have very little to gain by lying, I'm happy to believe the boss.

I would love for it all to turn out to be bollox and that Stephens plays on Saturday and signs a new deal. There will be plenty of egg on faces including myself.

I honestly believe there is something in this though.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
What continues to puzzle me is the lack of public posturing from Dale or his agent if he is unhappy here or wants out. Normally that seems to me a key part of wriggling out of a contract

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here