Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to talk about Dale

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
IF these reports of DS refusing to play are true, then please go..

I bet Knockaert can't wait to play on Saturday...

...oh hang on a minute.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yes, I've already said that I (choose to) believe this. The alternative is to believe that 1. Stephens refused to play and 2. CH chose to tell a direct lie rather than fudge the issue, which he certainly could have done.

Neither of those things fit for me.

I have no doubt he did do more training on Saturday! But that doesn't mean other stuff isn't going on. That 'other stuff' could be anything though. New contract negotiations, tussles with other club over price, discussions with other club over personal terms...almost anything. We have no idea what's going on. My money would be on him leaving, but it is definitely not certain and I really really hope he stays. The high regard that he is held in by other players says a lot.

That theory is a non starter for Chris

Goody

Aug 22, 2016
What makes you so sure? and where, Burnley don't need him now.

I've seen this posted a couple of times in the previous week, just to clarify Burnley finished the season with the three first choice central midfielders who had be involved throughout the campaign, since then Barton has left for Glasgow Rangers, David Jones has been sold to Sheffield Wednesday and Steven Defour has arrived from Anderlecht. This leaves just two senior central midfielders in Defour and Marney.

Burnley will definitely be signing at least one new one during this window although the only current news regarding Stephens coming from our end is what you guys are discussing on here, that is unusual because we'd always have a few 'in the know' trying to tell everybody what their window cleaner (who is also best mates with the Chief Executive) had said in the pub (yawn).

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
"Decision to make".....

Dale has a transfer fee on his head which no club has met (due to him not signing the contract offer).
Decision will only have to be made if Dale is still here after deadline day.
Meanwhile, CH is utilising the midfield options so that if he goes his cover is match fit and ready...

Goody

Aug 22, 2016
Are they still after Westwood of Villa?

Everything has gone quiet at our end, the names that have been banded about all summer are still there but very little information about anything happening.

The three domestic targets were apparently:-

Westwood
Stephens
Hendrick (who is injured at the moment)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Dale Stephens will also miss out as he continues to build up his match fitness.
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-preview/index.aspx#GQDQhT4rjLs1JjJT.99

Starting to feel quite negative about the situation.

How can a player play 90mins in a league game, then miss two games because of match fitness. This seems utterly backwards to me. Isn't he going to start losing match fitness? ???

They must think we're a bit thick. I don't think he refused to play mind, but there's obviously something going on.

I'm still hoping we're saving him for Saturday, having penned a new deal.. but i'm getting closer to the stage where that feels like dreamland.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I don't know anything but I'm going to assume he's leaving. He wouldn't have been left out on Saturday unless there was a very good chance of it.

And actually, I'm fine with it. He's a good player, he's done well for us, but he won't be let go without a back up in place and for a very good price.

Yep agree with this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dale Stephens will also miss out as he continues to build up his match fitness.
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-preview/index.aspx#GQDQhT4rjLs1JjJT.99

Starting to feel quite negative about the situation.

How can a player play 90mins in a league game, then miss two games because of match fitness. This seems utterly backwards to me.

They must think we're a bit thick. I don't think he refused to play mind, but there's obviously something going on.

Could it be more to avoid injury or red card pre Newcastle, but difficult to say that so it is an easy way out for CH having been the case Saturday.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Latest full quote from Hughton...

"No [he's not playing v Oxford] - but that's my choice. He has trained very well over the last couple of days.
"He missed a chunk of the pre-season and pre-season games. We felt it's important to get his levels back up. It's my choice not to involve him tomorrow but he has trained very well. We just need him to get back to those levels again."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/146...Albion___but_the_German_rock_is_back_at_last/

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Not sure what to think now but then i wasnt before saturday. His not being in the squad for oxford doesnt alter that either way. Dont think he was ever likely to play in that game

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not sure what to think now but then i wasnt before saturday. His not being in the squad for oxford doesnt alter that either way. Dont think he was ever likely to play in that game

Hughton literally said a couple of days back that Dale would be playing Tuesday and Saturday..

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
He won't be.

He may not be telling us everything though ( ie if negotiations are going on to sell Dale ) ???

He very rarely does and always tries to stay honest which is admirable but in the past few interviews he's been chopping and changing and talking in riddles.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I've never viewed the club as deceitful or one to mislead its fans. If Stephens had refused to play then I would expect them to say so - and most likely fine him in the process. Why would they seek to hide this? Of course that's not to say Stephens will be an Albion player for the rest of this season. He's always had a good attitude and it's more likely it's the club giving him a break while negotiations continue. It could go either way (stay or go), but I don't think either Stephens or the club deserve any blame until we hear otherwise.

Chris H has to put the best gloss on this possible. I hope it is his decision but I was surprised by the move to sign both Sidwell and Norwood and feared the worst from then on. Still hoping we hang on to Dale til January, I don't think that Burnley signing one midfielder means they won't want another but hopefully they (or whoever) will offer us a crap deal and we will reject it

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Hughton literally said a couple of days back that Dale would be playing Tuesday and Saturday..

It does seem like we're just being told whatever may allay immediate fears and will be continue to be fed similar until the window shuts, where we may end up hearing the truth of it all depending on whether he's gone or still with us.

I don't think this damages Chris's rep though, as it's probably at the behest of the club that the situation is being managed this way.

Obviously hope i'm completely wrong and this 'extra training' is legitimate, however strange it may sound to me. I guess we will know for sure either way at the latest on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here