Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to make Liam Bridcutt CAPTAIN...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It depends what you want from a captain I suppose. The Italian mentality was always that the most experienced player was the captain. I remember Paolo Maldini saying that at some point back in the day. In England there are all sorts of captains, best players to loudest players to scariest players...

In our case I suspect we've gone with someone who has the personality to lead men, maybe off the pitch more than on it considering he isn't the most vocal. Hammond was captain before and he was very vocal on the pitch I thought, not really noticed it of him this time though to be honest. Crofts was captain and I don't think he was a vocal man on the pitch, but led by example in that he ran a hundred miles and did everything right off the pitch. Personally, I think the captain should be the person who leads the team off the pitch as well as on it, on the pitch players can be different and it's not just the responsibility of the captain to get things organised out there. For me, the captain should be the guy who is getting people together off the pitch, the point of contact and the bloke you know is in charge and command, a bloke you'll follow when he tells you to. I get the impression Greer is that type of chracter.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Big fan of Bridcutt but I don't think he is the type to give someone a bollocking if they need it or one for rousing speeches. Not sure why I think that, he just seems to quietly get on with his job. Not captain material.

Maybe on his last game.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Captain's dont necessarily need to be very vocal, they can lead by example. Beckham wasn't very vocal? Excellent captain. Chris Robshaw, current England rugby union captain leads by example, and is not very vocal. Excellent captain.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Best player doesn't make best captain and you don't make someone it just on the very slim chance it would prolong their stay. Why would he stay longer if captain?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Since when has being a captain, been about being the best player on the pitch???. Bridcutt stands out a mile in the system we play, which is fantastic as we play that system. His inclusion in the side is probably the main reason we never start with two wingers. He certainly seems to be getting better by the game, he wouldn't be any good in a side that plays fast counter attacking football though. I think his speed of distribution is the main reason he is not being more sort after. Which is a good thing for us atm.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
When he is fully fit I would make Orlandi the captain, Bridcutt does not need the extra pressure. GG has to go, too many mistakes recently including the last game, and Crystal Palace. I don't think he would play week in week out if he was not the captain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here