Water meter advice

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
hot tub...??? ...why two showers a day luv..? if you have a shower before you go to bed , and yer sheets are changed once a week , surely you dont all need a shower in the morning ....???

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
hot tub...??? ...why two showers a day luv..? if you have a shower before you go to bed , and yer sheets are changed once a week , surely you dont all need a shower in the morning ....???

Lol always have a shower in the morning - if ive been in the tub before bed I'll forego my shower before bed - will just have to have more hot tub sessions!

Jan 30, 2008
I fit water meters for Anglian water so tariffs maybe slightly different but it measures in cubic meters
1 cubic meter = 1000 ltrs

You'll pay roughly £4/5 ish per cubic meter.

As a breakdown down the average bath takes 80ltrs
5 min shower = 40 ltrs
Wc flush. = 6 ltrs
Washing up in sink = 10ltrs
Dishwasher = 25ltrs
10 min hose gun. = 150 ltrs
5 min power shower = 100ltrs

Tha average daily consumption is about 150 ltrs per person.

One way if working out early on how much you should be paying is taking a reading after a month, ring that in to southern water
And they should be able to give you a price per month.

Anglian waters charges are £112 per year standing charge, then £3.03 per cubic meter .

If your a keen gardener and want to save £££s get one of these Watertwo
i hope you fit them correctly I HAD ONE FITTED AND HAD A FIRST QUARTERLY BILL FOR £4OO so did my neighbour who had there's fitted at the same time, 9 MONTHS LATER IT WAS FINALLY RESOLVED leak allowance applied........... southern water eh :rolleyes:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We've recently had a letter through to tell us the 3 months is up since having our water meter installed. Looks like we will be paying less for our water from now on as our usage is classed as 'low'.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
I have a water meter fitted but the Mrs parents wont be thrilled, they have a Swimming pool in the back garden I can see 1 huge bill every year just at the beginning of summer when its filled up.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sorry if this has been covered before!

We are due to have a water meter fitted in the next four to six weeks. On the letter they have sent they say the charges won't kick in for three months and you will pay the normal 40 quid a month. Is this so they can assess your usage and bill you monthly in the hope they estimate correctly your usage???

I am not adverse to having a meter fitted - we are a family of four and its a busy house - showers for everyone twice a day - washing machine on at least twice a day - hot tub (although I'm not too bothered about that once filled and chemically controlled it only needs refilling once every three/four months and is switched off sometimes during winter).

How has everyone else found the charges - I can't see on this letter actually how much they charge for the water??? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place??? I don't want to turn into someone who moans at the kids cos they've been in the shower five mins longer or fancied a soak in the bath!!!

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks x

I have been on a water meter once, i didn't like it for the main reason it was in the footpath 4 metres from the house. So i am lead to believe you are responsible for any loss of water from the metre onwards, the service pipe is a metre or so under the tarmac.

So in theory if your pipe has a leak and your not checking the meter (which is a pain in the arse to read regularly as you have to open manhole have a torch get on yer knobbly knees to see it) then you could be running up a massive bill, just cos someone has not fitted it correctly or the service pipe is old and needs replacing and water is p***ing out.

I would insist it was fitted inside my property and give the water board the burden of fixing any exterior leaks if possible.

Mind you things may have changed this was 10 years ago.

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
i hope you fit them correctly I HAD ONE FITTED AND HAD A FIRST QUARTERLY BILL FOR £4OO so did my neighbour who had there's fitted at the same time, 9 MONTHS LATER IT WAS FINALLY RESOLVED leak allowance applied........... southern water eh :rolleyes:

i only fit internal meters when they cant fit them outside.
easiest way to find out if you have a leak on your external meter if you have high bills is to shut off your internal stop tap then see if the meter is still spinning round.

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
another thing that maybe helpful, although it may not apply down south is different tariffs.

Anglian Water have a solow rate. if you use under 75cubic meters a year you get your water at a cheaper rate, so if you're on your own it may pay to get in contact with the water company to see if they do anything like this. also different tarriffs for disabled and unemployed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports