Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Water meter advice

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Sorry if this has been covered before!

We are due to have a water meter fitted in the next four to six weeks. On the letter they have sent they say the charges won't kick in for three months and you will pay the normal 40 quid a month. Is this so they can assess your usage and bill you monthly in the hope they estimate correctly your usage???

I am not adverse to having a meter fitted - we are a family of four and its a busy house - showers for everyone twice a day - washing machine on at least twice a day - hot tub (although I'm not too bothered about that once filled and chemically controlled it only needs refilling once every three/four months and is switched off sometimes during winter).

How has everyone else found the charges - I can't see on this letter actually how much they charge for the water??? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place??? I don't want to turn into someone who moans at the kids cos they've been in the shower five mins longer or fancied a soak in the bath!!!

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks x

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Water meters are insanely cheaper than fixed billing. Also, don't take the horseshit about standing charges applying for 3 months, they can bill you retrospectively for the water you use and take it from there.

My wifes Mum recently had a meter fitted, and she didn't have to pay for 3 months (South East Water) - so I would query that bit....

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have the letter too, as I think they're about to hit Shoreham. If I remember correctly there's a calculator on the Southrn Water website where you can work out what you might pay with a meter. I'm looking forward to it, have been meaning to get one for years, as a single bloke in a v.big detached house, I should save quite aa bit.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I have the letter too, as I think they're about to hit Shoreham. If I remember correctly there's a calculator on the Southrn Water website where you can work out what you might pay with a meter. I'm looking forward to it, have been meaning to get one for years, as a single bloke in a v.big detached house, I should save quite aa bit.

Yeah you will - my mum lives over the road from me and she will benefit - I've held back getting one because I know that we must be a high usage family - I remember my dad shouting at us as kids to 'turn the bloody lights off'!!! I am terrified I'll turn into a parent who shouts up the stairs 'you've been in that shower seven minutes instead of five'!!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yeah you will - my mum lives over the road from me and she will benefit - I've held back getting one because I know that we must be a high usage family - I remember my dad shouting at us as kids to 'turn the bloody lights off'!!! I am terrified I'll turn into a parent who shouts up the stairs 'you've been in that shower seven minutes instead of five'!!!

Yup, I remember the 70s.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

We are due to have a water meter fitted in the next four to six weeks. On the letter they have sent they say the charges won't kick in for three months and you will pay the normal 40 quid a month. Is this so they can assess your usage and bill you monthly in the hope they estimate correctly your usage???

I am not adverse to having a meter fitted - we are a family of four and its a busy house - showers for everyone twice a day - washing machine on at least twice a day - hot tub (although I'm not too bothered about that once filled and chemically controlled it only needs refilling once every three/four months and is switched off sometimes during winter).

How has everyone else found the charges - I can't see on this letter actually how much they charge for the water??? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place??? I don't want to turn into someone who moans at the kids cos they've been in the shower five mins longer or fancied a soak in the bath!!!

isent there a bit in there 2 about going on a certain tarrif for a couple of years that caps the charge at your old rate..or am i dreaming

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
I fit water meters for Anglian water so tariffs maybe slightly different but it measures in cubic meters
1 cubic meter = 1000 ltrs

You'll pay roughly £4/5 ish per cubic meter.

As a breakdown down the average bath takes 80ltrs
5 min shower = 40 ltrs
Wc flush. = 6 ltrs
Washing up in sink = 10ltrs
Dishwasher = 25ltrs
10 min hose gun. = 150 ltrs
5 min power shower = 100ltrs

Tha average daily consumption is about 150 ltrs per person.

One way if working out early on how much you should be paying is taking a reading after a month, ring that in to southern water
And they should be able to give you a price per month.

Anglian waters charges are £112 per year standing charge, then £3.03 per cubic meter .

If your a keen gardener and want to save £££s get one of these Watertwo

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
If you're a high usage family you won't benefit as much from having a meter but will probably still save money. As a single person my bill has dropped from about £350 a year to around £160.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011

LG, get them to bill you half yearly and put £40 aside for when the first bill arrives, if your not to good at saving just pay the £40 to them monthly,your first bill will then have small balance or credit and you can judge your own monthly payment from then on,this is better because they always over estimate as they love holding your money

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I had a guy sent round prior to having a meter fitted, he was called the GREEN DOCTOR. He gave Me some bags to put in the cistern to save water and also some shower heads that work on high pressure tried these out but they were rubbish, it would of taken me as long as My missus to have a shower using it. :eek: Apart from that he was'nt much help.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Our loo has a short flush for ones and a long flush for twos!!!

I saw they sell economy shower heads but don't really fancy a shower that only has two little holes - my partner has said he will rig up a solar shower to a water butt!!! Lolol

His other suggestions were just so ridiculous including all the family taking a piss at the same time therefore cutting down on flushes!!!

We've had a good laugh though with some of the suggestions!!!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

I saw they sell economy shower heads but don't really fancy a shower that only has two little holes - my partner has said he will rig up a solar shower to a water butt!!! Lolol

His other suggestions were just so ridiculous including all the family taking a piss at the same time therefore cutting down on flushes!!!

my partner has said he will rig up a solar shower to a water butt!!! Lolol
I think You're old man's been watching to many DIY programmes.:eek:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I fit water meters for Anglian water so tariffs maybe slightly different but it measures in cubic meters
1 cubic meter = 1000 ltrs

You'll pay roughly £4/5 ish per cubic meter.

As a breakdown down the average bath takes 80ltrs
5 min shower = 40 ltrs
Wc flush. = 6 ltrs
Washing up in sink = 10ltrs
Dishwasher = 25ltrs
10 min hose gun. = 150 ltrs
5 min power shower = 100ltrs

Tha average daily consumption is about 150 ltrs per person.

One way if working out early on how much you should be paying is taking a reading after a month, ring that in to southern water
And they should be able to give you a price per month.

Anglian waters charges are £112 per year standing charge, then £3.03 per cubic meter .

If your a keen gardener and want to save £££s get one of these Watertwo

South East water (supply only) is only £1.54 per cubic metre of water with £21 standing charge. Southern Water have the pleasure of our waste and have a standing charge of £50.17 and charge £2.08 per cubic metre although you don't get charged sewerage on all the water 'metered' into the property.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

We went on to a meter 6 months ago. Still waiting for the first bill.

Our company (we are with South East and Southern) gave us a 4 minute egg timer which sticks by the shower. It's a good idea if you have a large family and you want to keep the shower times down. 4 minutes is more than enough for a shower, especially for a guy.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We went on to a meter 6 months ago. Still waiting for the first bill.

Our company (we are with South East and Southern) gave us a 4 minute egg timer which sticks by the shower. It's a good idea if you have a large family and you want to keep the shower times down. 4 minutes is more than enough for a shower, especially for a guy.

Tell my son that!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tell my son that!

:lolol::lolol:

I know! mine used to let the shower run for ages "To warm up" whilst he went off to another room.

It's an electric shower! Takes seconds to warm up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here