Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was the penalty correctly awarded?

Was the penalty correctly awarded?

• Definite penalty

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • Not a penalty

Votes: 141 65.6%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well yes, this is the real point.

So if MOTD were running VAR, they wouldn't have given the penalty, because it's not VAR's job to overturn a subjective decision.

As I’ve said for years, VAR should never have been introduced as football is too subjective. Fouls, handball, even offside, people will always have different opinions on all of these things.

No matter how many rule tweaks they make - VAR will never work.

It would have worked if anyone with a brain was in charge of it. So it can be fixed.

They could run a training session with the refs - if they got them all together in a room (and blew it up) and showed them the footage of many of these decisions, and asked them each (without conferring) to give a percentage as to how sure they are something is or isn't a penalty, then look at the results together, they'll find they're overturning decisions where half of them don't think it's a penalty, and half of those that do are not at all sure.

I like that Howard Webb seems keen to improve things, but so far it's not working. They don't know what they're doing.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I like that Howard Webb seems keen to improve things, but so far it's not working. They don't know what they're doing.
Howard Webb is stuck in the unenviable position of having to improve standards from an underachieving and protected team.
He can't just throw them all under the bus, as he will undermine his own position.

I remember his interview with Lineker and Shearer, where he stoutly defended Salisbury after his VAR cock up in the Wolves/United game.
Webb: " Salisbury has made a mistake, but he's very good at VAR, one of the best we've got".
Shearer responded with "Wasn't he on VAR for the Spurs Brighton game last season"
Webb( crestfallen) " Yes, he was".
Shearer (unusually) just let teh answer hang there.

Salisbury of course, has now gone on to absolutely suck at being an on field ref too.
But if he's one of the best, it really goes to show what an impossible job Webb has on his hands.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Having watched it a few times I'd say if the replay that the ref sees on the touchline screen doesn't show the poor second touch rom Mudryk then we've been done over. He's knocked it too far ahead of him and Milner has run his natural line and there is a coming together.

The ref has full view of the incident first time round so that may have been his thinking, then VAR persuade him otherwise.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The TV commentator an ex player said straight away that it was good defending by Milner and not a penalty so I am siding with him.

(Probably wouldn´t if he said definite pen though!)

It´s a Brighton fans forum so surely we are entitled to wear blue tinted specs!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It was a penalty. Milner was too slow and it was clumsy. There was no conspiracy here, Gallgher got sent off giving us an advantage for an hour we did not take, Caicedo challenge was not a red card or there would be 5 red cards every game, it was not a penalty or corner for us. No, we lost this ourselves. Move on

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It was a penalty. Milner was too slow and it was clumsy. There was no conspiracy here, Gallgher got sent off giving us an advantage for an hour we did not take, Caicedo challenge was not a red card or there would be 5 red cards every game, it was not a penalty or corner for us. No, we lost this ourselves. Move on
Do you think it should have been a yellow (caicedo's second challenge that is)?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm not sure tbh but it definitely wasn't a clear and obvious error by the ref but VAR managed to persuade him it was so he then awarded the penalty,the whole system is worthless and frankly I'm starting to tire of watching any game where VAR is involved so instead of taking in the Brentford game I'm going to watch the U21s v MK Dons instead,the EPL is becoming a bit of a joke and it's not a very funny one.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think it's probably border line, but obviously a bias.

Bigger question for me is shouldn't Milner have gone in that case? He's the last defender, Mudryk would be one on one with Steele. That is DOGSO and while we have the double jeopardy rule now, that's only if he's making an attempt to play the ball. Is he really tying to play the ball at the time of the foul?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You are indeed the only person I have read with thay view. Even chelsea fans at work have all said it wasba second yellow and he should have been off. They are also divided on whether a pen or not
Caicedo wasn’t booked though, there was some confusion and the yellow card was shown to a player who kicked the ball away. He probably should have been booked for the second challenge but it wouldn’t have been a second yellow card.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Caicedo wasn’t booked though, there was some confusion and the yellow card was shown to a player who kicked the ball away. He probably should have been booked for the second challenge but it wouldn’t have been a second yellow card.
Evening standard and bbc both had him as being booked yesterday

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, there's certainly a confusion on this, which is reflected in this article where the match reporter indicates that Caicedo was booked, whereas the player profile indicates that he wasn't.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Evening standard and bbc both had him as being booked yesterday
Yes most of the live blogs etc had the yellow going to Caicedo, but it’s been corrected to Badiashile in most match reports. BBC have even updated their in play time line but some of the live blogs still have Caicedo booked in the time line but the yellow showing against Badiashile in the match summary, hence the confusion.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
exactly as I saw it.

We would be going nuts if we weren't awarded a penalty there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Howard Webb is stuck in the unenviable position of having to improve standards from an underachieving and protected team.
He can't just throw them all under the bus, as he will undermine his own position.

I remember his interview with Lineker and Shearer, where he stoutly defended Salisbury after his VAR cock up in the Wolves/United game.
Webb: " Salisbury has made a mistake, but he's very good at VAR, one of the best we've got".
Shearer responded with "Wasn't he on VAR for the Spurs Brighton game last season"
Webb( crestfallen) " Yes, he was".
Shearer (unusually) just let teh answer hang there.

Salisbury of course, has now gone on to absolutely suck at being an on field ref too.
But if he's one of the best, it really goes to show what an impossible job Webb has on his hands.

I actually don't think our onfield refs are that bad. It's a really difficult job and I doubt I could do it as well as them even if I had a lot of training. But there are two issues where I would be better. I wouldn't put up with the 'us against the world' attitude they seem to have, and I think I could do a better job in VAR without too much training - that's how bad they are. Maybe it's the technology that causes them issues? They've proven themselves as referees on the field, but maybe they have very limited experience working with technology? I don't know, but something's wrong.

Regarding this thread, Talksport were discussing the penalty this morning and Ally McCoist basically read out my post on here and said it was a coming together, not a penalty in his view, but certainly not a clear and obvious error. Typical injustice against us.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I actually don't think our onfield refs are that bad. It's a really difficult job and I doubt I could do it as well as them even if I had a lot of training. But there are two issues where I would be better. I wouldn't put up with the 'us against the world' attitude they seem to have, and I think I could do a better job in VAR without too much training - that's how bad they are. Maybe it's the technology that causes them issues? They've proven themselves as referees on the field, but maybe they have very limited experience working with technology? I don't know, but something's wrong.

Regarding this thread, Talksport were discussing the penalty this morning and Ally McCoist basically read out my post on here and said it was a coming together, not a penalty in his view, but certainly not a clear and obvious error. Typical injustice against us.
Also interesting to find out that the laws on restarts is that we should have had a corner..
The drop ball took all the sting out of a very hostile and volatile situation.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Also interesting to find out that the laws on restarts is that we should have had a corner..
The drop ball took all the sting out of a very hostile and volatile situation.
Interesting indeed. And seems to go against what's been posted on here. I haven't managed to track down the actual law - other than Law 8.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Someone here said they were correct to give a drop ball to them after our penalty was ruled out - were they wrong then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here