[Albion] Was the penalty correctly awarded?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was the penalty correctly awarded?

• Definite penalty

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • Not a penalty

Votes: 141 65.6%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not massively different to the one we got in Athens……..can’t really argue with the decision unfortunately
Pedro had his foot trod on if memory serves me correctly….that is quite different to today‘s barge/tangle.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
if the ref gave it on the field, then i’d say ‘incredibly soft, but supportable’. but VAR should never, ever, ever be getting involved in that. clear and obvious my arse. we wouldn’t get a VAR intervention on a call like that in a million years
This is the key thing. The 'big' clubs get these, we don't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Initially it was a coming together and 50-50 but then Milner goes beyond that and commits the foul.
I don't understand what is and what isnt considered clear and obvious though.
Well I think this is the area that supporters would like explaining a little more accurately because I personally haven’t got a scooby on it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Having just seen it on MOTD, there is no way in a million years that before VAR that would have been given as a pen. Milner is just shielding it back to the keeper.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I've changed my mind after watching it again from the behind the goal angle. Incredibly harsh.
Agree having seen all the angles on Match of the Day. It's a two part problem. One is subjective in that you can debate all day about whether the contact is a foul. The second problem is the incorrect application of what we are told is the VAR principle. The ref doesn't give it so VAR gets involved and declares it a clear and obvious error when it is far from clear and obvious. On that basis you go with the original decision of no penalty.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Having just seen it on MOTD, there is no way in a million years that before VAR that would have been given as a pen. Milner is just shielding it back to the keeper.
How can you 'shield the ball to the keeper' by taking out the guys legs - thats just daft! If Milner wants to do that he HAS to stay on his feet.

Its one of the clearest penalties I've seen this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports