Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was it worth the sacrifice.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I am not a right winger,... knee jerk left-wing responses ( as per the 'old labour' book of rhetoric)..... try to be a bit more original.

Your theatrical language suggests differently.... 'fled'?? haha... 'To greener pastures' ?? Dear Lord.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Your theatrical language suggests differently.... 'fled'?? haha... 'To greener pastures' ?? Dear Lord.
There you go then,.... your inability to read the subtleties of an individuals contributions should really lead you to inhibit your habit of guessing then filling in the blanks with nonsense.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
'spinning'? haha...

Completely off-topic. You live in Prague, Kafka was from Prague, you like a joke too Dave. Wanna hear my Franz Kafka 'Yo Momma' joke? Course you do.

"Yo momma’s so fat, that she hasn’t left the flat in three years. Her only solace is the figurine of the ballet dancer that she stares at day in day out. One day, you slip on a banana peel, destroying it."

That genuinely cracks me up every time. There's loads more here http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/kafkas-joke-book

Enjoy!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Right-wingers are using 'theatrical language' and you're doing 'your mum' gags. Remind me again who are the ones that you think are puerile?

If you havnt guessed by now, I couldnt give a flying **** what people on NSC think of me....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
my company didnt move me abroad...haha...I fled....not only that....'for greener pastiures'

Errr, maybe I've got the wrong person but I could have sworn you owned a bar so what is all this "company" speak ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Completely off-topic. You live in Prague, Kafka was from Prague, you like a joke too Dave. Wanna hear my Franz Kafka 'Yo Momma' joke? Course you do.

"Yo momma’s so fat, that she hasn’t left the flat in three years. Her only solace is the figurine of the ballet dancer that she stares at day in day out. One day, you slip on a banana peel, destroying it."

That genuinely cracks me up every time. There's loads more here http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/kafkas-joke-book

Enjoy!

He's buried around the corner from me... maybe we have a different sense of humour ;-)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
waffle waffle waffle from somebody attacking another NSC individual (HT)...pretty funny...thanks for that.
Oh dear,..... the intellectual depth of this exchange has suddenly reached the shallow end..... I think I shall leave you to splash about with your armbands on, you need the practice it seems..... TTFN

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Errr, maybe I've got the wrong person but I could have sworn you owned a bar so what is all this "company" speak ?

Ive never said I 'owned' a bar..ive said, my GF and myself run a bar/club...we rent a premises..we dont own it. I work as data network incident manager for a major corporation.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He's buried around the corner from me... maybe we have a different sense of humour ;-)

Have a read of his short stories and then those jokes will start to make sense. I'd recommend 'The Helmsman' in particular to get a flavour of the happy-go-lucky nature of party boy Kafka.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Have a read of his short stories and then those jokes will start to make sense. I'd recommend 'The Helmsman' in particular to get a flavour of the happy-go-lucky nature of party boy Kafka.

What I know of him, he seems a bit boring ;-)
Theres a really strange statue dedicated to him near some bar he used to go to (rip off tourist shit)..Although, I quite like the ambiance of the Louvre cafe where he used to meet up with other writers. ive read some of his stuff to get a sense of him, but he didnt do anything for me im afraid.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The demographic of UKIP voters indicates that twice as many over 60s support UKIP compared to other parties.

http://www.lucidtalk.co.uk/ukips-voters-older-more-male-and-more-working-class-but-especially-older/

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/03/05/analysis-ukip-voters/

Arguably because of the experience of their youth these older generations have a keener grasp of what fascism looks like; consequently they distrust the EU and ergo vote UKIP.

In contrast many from the younger generations who know absolutely nothing of fascism consider that those who vote for UKIP are fascists.............probably just like you.

In any event, the uncomfortable reality for you is that a significant proportion of those veterans that recently lined up on the beaches of Normandy would have been UKIP voters.

Don't worry though, they are dwindling away now..............and there will be even less by 2017.

Condescending much? You're right, the demographic of UKIP voters is older. It is also a widely recognised fact that the older we become the less tolerant we become, even if that is only because younger generations become more tolerant. And as you also pointed out a lot of veterans have a very deep seated distrust towards Germany. But your wild assumption that a "significant proportion" of veterans vote UKIP, based purely on conjecture, is utterly absurd.

Now here's an uncomfortable reality for YOU. Millions of men and women gave their lives to rid Europe of a scapegoating, fear mongering political disease that based a person’s worth on the nation they were born in, the colour of their skin and the god they believe in. They convinced a broken nation that the route of their social and economic problems was caused by certain sections of society that were different, sections of society that were somehow beneath them because of the aforementioned reasons. They used xenophobia and racism to sew distrust and fear in to the people until the people started to believe them. Now, doesn’t that sound familiar? So forgive me if I find it hard to believe a "significant number" of veterans queueing up the polling station to vote for a party that uses the same tactics to get votes.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I'd be pretty pissed off if I'd given my life in the fight against fascism and then people started spouting a bunch of utter nonsense and voted for the likes of UKIP and the BNP.

No you wouldn't because you'd be dead.

And UKIP are many things but they are absolutely NOT fascists. If anything they are libertarians.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

Enjoy!

Very good Buzzer.

[To heckler] Hey, I don’t come down to where you work and expose the bureaucratic machine in which you’re embedded as the dehumanizing monolith it is.

Very good.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What I know of him, he seems a bit boring ;-)
Theres a really strange statue dedicated to him near some bar he used to go to (rip off tourist shit)... ive read some of his stuff to get a sense of him, but he didnt do anything for me im afraid.

Boring? No way. The man was complex, miserable, misogynist and a hypochondriac but there's a lot of black humour in his writing and his writing style was ground-breaking. Even now it can seem avant-garde. His influence isn't just in literature or the hackneyed phrase 'Kafkaesque' either. He used to write chapters non-chronologically and then put them together in order at the end. David Bowie copied that technique. (Not a lot of people know that).

In the same way that Brightonians owe it to themselves to read Brighton Rock, you really shoud read The Trial at least. It's mind-blowing.

....I've killed this thread now, haven't I?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here