Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was it a penalty or did Everton get lucky?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I was at the game and thought it was shoulder to shoulder as did the ref. However I think VAR called it correctly, it was more should in the back, so silly one to give away.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Blue and white specs, never in a million years
Neutral glasses, never in a million years the cheating little tyke. It was shoulder to shoulder(blade)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It was never a penalty for over 100 years, you'd have got booed off for being a lightweight cheat

Probably a penalty since Payola league invented football

Definitely a penalty if VAR turf accountant suggests having a look at the best/worst possible angle

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Definite penalty. Silly challenge on a player going away from goal. Alas, it was missed and we won, so no harm done.

Beautiful touch to set up the third goal though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Definite penalty. Some BHA tinted glasses being worn by anyone that thinks it’s ok to barge an opponent over. The bigger question is what on earth was Mwepu doing ?

Some blurred glasses as well.

I'd question what Mwepu was doing, probably shepherding a player away from goal, not necessarily his fault if the slightest whaft of contact makes his opponent hit the deck like he's been hit by a sniper.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Definite, and unnecessary, foul/penalty.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some blurred glasses as well.

I'd question what Mwepu was doing, probably shepherding a player away from goal, not necessarily his fault if the slightest whaft of contact makes his opponent hit the deck like he's been hit by a sniper.

Naive by Mwepu.

But the Everton player only had intent on going down under contact from an approaching opponent, no matter how light the touch for the recipient who’s a highly trained athlete with a lifetime of balance and core strength training behind him.

The modern game - looking for every advantage by hook or crook.

They’ll train regularly to go down, quite pathetic really. Harry Kane the master.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Stonewall. But most stupid one to give away. Attacker no danger facing away from goal There was not even a reason to tackle him let alone barge into him.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
A soft pen for me also. As long as refs are consistent over the season we might get a soft one, hopefully against palarse.

A similar rather soft penalty was given at Lewes yesterday. Joe Taylor stroked it in very calmly, so big smiles all round at the Rooks.

I can see why both were given, but Lewes' was very soft.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
It was a penalty, and a silly one to concede. Gordon made a meal of it though - clutched his shin iirc.

In other news, the ball from DCL's attempt has been retrieved from Becher's Brook.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Def pen, why the ref needed to go to the monitor is beyond me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here