Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was it a penalty or did Everton get lucky?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Naive by Mwepu.

But the Everton player only had intent on going down under contact from an approaching opponent, no matter how light the touch for the recipient who’s a highly trained athlete with a lifetime of balance and core strength training behind him.

The modern game - looking for every advantage by hook or crook.

They’ll train regularly to go down, quite pathetic really. Harry Kane the master.

I agree, naive from Mwepu, he's also still getting up PL pace/stamina, ran out of steam after 70 minutes, very good contribution though.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Definitely a penalty and it was us that got lucky with the miss.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree, naive from Mwepu, he's also still getting up PL pace/stamina, ran out of steam after 70 minutes, very good contribution though.

No complaints from me about Mwepu, he’s becoming a star with his energy and eye for a killer pass.

All part of the learning curve, how not to succumb to EPL gravity whores.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I once went flying a tube platform with a similar sort of tackle.

That was a clear red though.

I trust you went down with full scream, rolled around clutching your shin and appealed to the station master for consequences?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was waiting for the contact. Not sure how a shoulder-barge resulted in a screaming double pike shin-roll, but thats the game these days.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Definitely a penalty and it was us that got lucky with the miss.

This all day long. Anyone thinks that's not a pen has blue & white tinted glasses.

However, I personally think Gordon who scored their goals and was their MOM could have seen a red card for the tackle on Mwepu. On the replay he's coming down on foot with a stamp like motion.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
It looked a Penalty but nobody seems to have mentioned that the Everton player sensed Mwepu coming and literally stopped in front of him, initiating the contact.
Didn't Connolly have a penalty overturned against Man Utd last season, because he initiated the contact?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
It is a penalty but it is a ridiculous punishment for what happened. Not sure what the answer is but I don't think penalties are fit for purpose when a handball on the line results in the same outcome (obviously minus the red) as pushing someone on the edge of the box when they are heading towards the corner flag. Twas ever thus though.

100% agree with you. Stupid, stupid challenge and absolutely a foul. However, the Everton player is running away from a very crowded penalty area. Morally it feels like a penalty (i.e. a direct goal scoring opportunity) is not the appropriate consequence - more like an indirect free kick or something in a parallel universe. Wouldn’t like to be a referee making that judgement call though...

Storers right boot

Jan 2, 2022
I’m sure I’ve seen plenty of those shoulder to shoulder style challenges in the penalty area waved away by refs this season, however, we’ve given away a few.

I don’t think this was a penalty today in the current climate but would have been one last season. Thanks to DCL for missing the spot kick, a very rare thing against the Albion.

It’s sooo soft! The only intention of the player was to go down and ‘win’ a penalty. Never a penalty. It’s so embarrassing for football as a sport to allow this crap! And most people accept it! There’s no honesty in it! He ran across him and jumped on the floor at the first opportunity! It makes the sport look pathetic! Everton are up there with Palace over the last few years of getting this sort of crap and I’m sooo sick of it!!!!
(Anyway greattttt win 😃)

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I always judge these things on what would probably happen anywhere else on the pitch and if that barge was outside of the box I think it would have been waved away, as the ref did initially. Also he wasn't denied a clear goal scoring opportunity, he was going away from goal on his way out of the box.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It was a penalty and a particularly poor one to give away given where the attacker was heading.
It always amazes me when premier league players make such brainless risk/reward decisions.
Gabriel being an even better example yesterday.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Some blurred glasses as well.

I'd question what Mwepu was doing, probably shepherding a player away from goal, not necessarily his fault if the slightest whaft of contact makes his opponent hit the deck like he's been hit by a sniper.

Usually I watch premier league games saying similar. I think it’s rare that there are any actual fouls in a modern top flight game. Mwepu’s barge though seemed pretty clear, even to me :smile:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It was very similar to the one on Murray against Palace at the Amex that we didn’t get (after the incorrect one on Izquierdo that we did get) that resulted in Duffy being sent off. Clear pen.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Naive by Mwepu.

But the Everton player only had intent on going down under contact from an approaching opponent, no matter how light the touch for the recipient who’s a highly trained athlete with a lifetime of balance and core strength training behind him.

The modern game - looking for every advantage by hook or crook.

They’ll train regularly to go down, quite pathetic really. Harry Kane the master.

This is nonsense, I’m afraid. If some 6 foot muscle bound brick shit house shoulder barges you full in the back when you are looking the other way, you would fall over! It’s absolute blue and white tinted specs to claim otherwise, and if it was the other way round you’d be screaming for a penalty. It’s ridiculous that the ref didn’t see it the first time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, a penalty.

I just imagined DCL was playing for England in a shootout when he took it - so I knew he'd miss. Lol.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Penalty. Barged him over. Just clumsy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here