Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
How many tunes sampled that film? Off the top of my head:

MC Wildski - Warriors. (Top, top tune)
Temple of Dreams - Messiah
PWEI - Can U Dig It?
Mock Turtles - Can You Dig It (the 12" did anyway - and Steve Coogan's brother played bass)

Any others?

That Kid Chris - Can You Dig It

I heard this version down the Escape Club about 18 years ago, a great dance tune.

I know it's somewhat different, but around the same time a film called The Wanderers came out, a bit of an antidote to Warriors, set in the 50s, based on youth/gang/music culture, but with more than a hint of comedy. Probably one of my all time favourite movies, with some wonderful quotes, and wonderful tunes too. Don't f*** with the Wongs.

you look like a prick with ears

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ok, so I'm going to chuck in American Graffiti, and Lemon Popsicle/Hot Bubblegum too, loved those 50/60s nonsense movies :guitar:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who elected you war chief ?

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Apologies for bouncing this, and even more apologies for bringing it back to the originally intended subject matter... :)

But if anyone's interested, there's a great full page article by Mike Atherton on the Warriors film, including an interview with Barney, in today's Times.

As you were.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Top lad Barney.

I played for Patcham Priory for years with his old man, John.

Known Barney since he was a toddler. He's doing very well for himself.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Top lad Barney.

I played for Patcham Priory for years with his old man, John.

Known Barney since he was a toddler. He's doing very well for himself.

Did you? John's my godfather, we're family friends going back decades.

If you played alongside John you might have played alongside my dad too (Don Wheeler) and/or a very young me - I used to play a couple of games for Priory each summer when we came to Brighton for summer holidays. I last played for them in early-mid '90s I reckon. Lots of good memories!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did you? John's my godfather, we're family friends going back decades.

If you played alongside John you might have played alongside my dad too (Don Wheeler) and/or a very young me - I used to play a couple of games for Priory each summer when we came to Brighton for summer holidays. I last played for them in early-mid '90s I reckon. Lots of good memories!

I almost certainly did play with your Dad - the name definitely rings a bell. My Dad (Brian Huffer) was Priory skipper in the late 80's, early 90's.

I can remember playing AGAINST John once too, in our annual Captain's XI v President's XI game. He was the club President. I bowled him, first ball of the match. Sorry John.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
One of THE great movie quotes of all time! Brilliant film, I too thought this thread would be about it, so I'm quite glad it has turned into that!

I was such a fan of that movie that when I was in New York last Christmas and New Year, we went down to Coney Island for a look see, the skylines are just the same... and the photo opps were many.... great atmospheric and cheesy place.... full of mad Russian heavies though.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I was such a fan of that movie that when I was in New York last Christmas and New Year, we went down to Coney Island for a look see, the skylines are just the same... and the photo opps were many.... great atmospheric and cheesy place.... full of mad Russian heavies though.

I got the subway to Brighton Beach when I was working in Jersey. That too is full of Russian hardcases.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
e-mail from Barney Douglas, forwarded to me at the weekend:

Hello everyone

Firstly, apologies for this big lumpy mass of email addresses. No fun and sorry to be so impersonal.

Some of you may already know, but I'm currently making a documentary entitled "Warriors". It's mainly shot in Kenya, and follows a group of young Maasai warriors who have, in rather bonkers fashion, taken up the game of cricket. They dream of playing in a tournament in England next summer.

They're also going up against the elders in their community and trying to fight for women's rights, bring an end to FGM (female genital mutilation), and stop the spread (and stigma) of HIV/Aids. All the social problems in the area are connected and many stem back to traditional Maasai practices. The elders fear losing these practices will result in the end of what it means to be Maasai.

England cricketer James Anderson is on board as Executive Producer which is wonderful for us, and we're looking at a late summer 2013 release.

I'm writing to ask for your support - in any way you can manage it. Be it by telling friends about the project, colleagues, family. Spread the work on Facebook and Twitter. Maybe you know someone in film or music who may be interested. Maybe you know a broadcaster or journalist who'd like the story. Anything you can do to spread the word will help get this film finished. My heart and soul is going into this film and I'd be eternally grateful if you could help tell people about it.

Finally, find out what we've been up to so far by watching the promo video (link below) and if you feel like becoming more involved yourself, there are lots of perks and gifts to reward any contributions to the film. These include DVD's, soundtracks, t-shirts, signed posters and books, your name in the credits, Ashes tickets, signed England cricket shirts, VIP cinema premiere tickets, and even a net session with England fast bowler James Anderson. Pledges start as low as £5, and it all makes a difference.

So please, have a watch of the promo here: Warriors | Indiegogo

Thanks for reading and thank in advance for anything legendary you may do.

As an aside, as a result of his scatter-gun e-mail approach, I now have the personal e-mail addresses of Adam Levethal, Nasser Hussain, James Kirtley and James May, amongst others :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports