Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warriors Film

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Hope this doesn't contravene any NSC policies on promotion/fundraising - happy to move/edit as needed if so.

My good mate Barney Douglas was interviewed by Jonathan Agnew on BBC Test Match Special earlier today about his film project Warriors, a documentary about a group of Maasai who have formed a cricket team on the plains of Kenya and are using the sport as a driver for education and social change in their community.

The film charts their attempt to achieve their dream of coming to play in the Last Man Stands cricket tournament in England this coming summer.

Barney is a top fella, outstanding filmmaker, good Brighton lad and ex-Junior Seagull and Brighton Boys midfield dynamo. (He's turned out to be a Spurs fan, but nobody's perfect.) You may have seen his work before on various Sussex CCC DVDs of the past, and/or on the brilliant Swanny's Video Diaries from the 2010-11 Ashes series.

As he says in the interview, he's launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise the money to finish making the film (all the work to date he's financed personally, which is some commitment). Rewards for those who pledge range from a copy of the soundtrack, right through to an Executive Producer credit, a pair of Ashes tickets and a net session with the film's executive producer - a certain Jimmy Anderson.

More information about the project, including a five minute trailer and details on how to pledge are here:

http://www.indiegogo.com/warriorsfilm

The video is running slowly for me, possibly because my computer is crap, but possibly because squillions of folk are visiting the page after Barney's fantastic interview with Aggers this morning. If the video isn't working for you, try again later, and in the meantime download the interview from the TMS podcasts page, which also features Graeme Swann interviewing Jimmy Anderson about the project.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/tms

Ta for reading, and if you're interested, follow @warriorsfilm on Twitter (https://twitter.com/warriorsfilm) or visit http://www.facebook.com/warriorsfilm and help spread the word.

Oh and while I'm here - Alastair Cook, you are an absolute bloody legend and I love you.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I saw a Warriors film at the flicks back in 1979 - cult gangs in the US fighting over turf I recall - nawty boys with baseball bats on roller-blades - unrelated no doubt

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Can you dig it ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Warriors, come out to play-ee-ay

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Heard the interview on TMS today, Agnew v enthusiastic about it, will check it out sounds like it explores a lot of issues in the Maasai communities

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who are the warriors?

Warriors, come out to play.

I love that film. I've got a giant poster in my Mancave of that Movie. It reminds me of trying to get back across London during the late 70s, early 80s after matches.
Well the spray can bit was the same anyway because I never did ram a baseball bat up someone's arse and turn them into a popsicle.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Warriors - you're good.

No! We're the best.

I tell you what, you look at that film in a different light when you start thinking the leader of the bad guys is Tommy Boyd.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
It wasn't us it was the Warriors they shot Sirus !!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How many tunes sampled that film? Off the top of my head:

MC Wildski - Warriors. (Top, top tune)
Temple of Dreams - Messiah
PWEI - Can U Dig It?
Mock Turtles - Can You Dig It (the 12" did anyway - and Steve Coogan's brother played bass)

Any others?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
How many tunes sampled that film? Off the top of my head:

MC Wildski - Warriors. (Top, top tune)
Temple of Dreams - Messiah
PWEI - Can U Dig It?
Mock Turtles - Can You Dig It (the 12" did anyway - and Steve Coogan's brother played bass)

Any others?
I'm pretty sure Eminen's track titled Fight Music was based entirely on the Warriors.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I know it's somewhat different, but around the same time a film called The Wanderers came out, a bit of an antidote to Warriors, set in the 50s, based on youth/gang/music culture, but with more than a hint of comedy. Probably one of my all time favourite movies, with some wonderful quotes, and wonderful tunes too. Don't f*** with the Wongs.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Logged out yesterday with 0 replies on this thread, logged in today to find 17. Briefly thought "wow, some people are interested in this story of cricket and the Maasai after all."

Then remembered this was NSC and realised that it would be full of posts about the Mock Turtles, baseball bats up arses and Tommy Boyd. Top work everyone :bowdown:

Anyway, it's saved me a :bounce:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Logged out yesterday with 0 replies on this thread, logged in today to find 17. Briefly thought "wow, some people are interested in this story of cricket and the Maasai after all."

Then remembered this was NSC and realised that it would be full of posts about the Mock Turtles, baseball bats up arses and Tommy Boyd. Top work everyone :bowdown:

Anyway, it's saved me a :bounce:

Should have added the cricket ball logo, and perhaps names it Massai Cricket Warriers

Maasai Cricket Warriors

You could always start again when the test match is on

Attachments

• Warriors%201.jpg
    Warriors%201.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 35

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here