Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warp Records 20th Birthday 89-09

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
Any thoughts on one of the best record labels over the last 20 years

Autechre/Aphex Twin/Boards Of Canada/Squarepusher/Luke Vibert/Plaid/LFO/Nightmares On Wax/Harmonic 313/Prefuse 73/Flying Lotus/Clark/Tim Exile/Battles/Mira Calix etc etc

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My thoughts:

Aphex Twin = Good.

Listen to Windowlicker. Brilliant bit at the end.

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
Got a Mellotron t-shirt. classic bit of kit, see your a Bowie fan (your pic is during the thin white duke period when he made his best albums 74/77

Young Americans
Station To Station
Low
Heroes

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Low is the album for me. Halfway through, he just goes off on an ambient binge, no vocals for about 5 tracks.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Fantastic record label :clap: The Warp20 (Box Set) looks good.

I was friends with Richard James (Aphex Twin) at college. He was a lovely bloke, spent much of his time holed up his breeze-blocked bedroom, surrounded by weird musical gadgets and wires. He used to record and sample pretty much every kind of noise - the sound of his combat boots kicking the wall was the main drum sound in one of his Xylem Tube EP tracks on R&S. We made a couple of tunes together, but I've no idea whether they were ever released or not.

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
I pre-ordered the Warp 20 box on Saturday £85 + £9p&p. Richard James still lives in Elephant & Castle i think.

R&S now there was a label, 1991 down Sterns WOW.

Aphex's label Rephlex is not bad either

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I pre-ordered the Warp 20 box on Saturday £85 + £9p&p. Richard James still lives in Elephant & Castle i think.

R&S now there was a label, 1991 down Sterns WOW

You bugger. If you'd posted this thread a couple of days ago, I'd have done the same. I just pre-ordered it for £100 + £6 postage! The cut-off for discounts was 5 July :angry: :lolol:

He used to live in the old Bank of Cyprus in Elephant - had a huge vault which he made good use of!

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
Went to Koko's last saturday saw Plaid, Luke Vibert, Clark, Tim Exile & Grasscut. f***ing magic mate, Luke Vibert was playing lots of old acid 303 808 stuff.

Been living in Kentish Town for about 4 years, where in East London are you? Hackney?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Got loads of rare stuff on that label - he recorded loads of Rephlex releases at college, early Caustic Window releases and stuff by Mike Dred (Kosmik Kommando)

just had a dig through my old records, got quite alot of his stuff. caustic window was the best , also think he had something to do with joyrex. joyrex j4 was a classic. analogue bubblebath was a quality ep

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Went to Koko's last saturday saw Plaid, Luke Vibert, Clark, Tim Exile & Grasscut. f***ing magic mate, Luke Vibert was playing lots of old acid 303 808 stuff.

Been living in Kentish Town for about 4 years, where in East London are you? Hackney?

Am in South East London these days, near Woolwich, couldn't be arsed to change name on here. Used to live in Forest Gate, near Stratford. Spent a few years in Kentish Town, too, funnily enough. Whereabouts are you?

Bet that gig was ace, mate. I love the 303, that's what I loved so much about some of Aphex's early stuff on Rephlex - the 303s, 808s and 909s on the 'Universal Indicator' EPs on Rephlex were awesome :)

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
just had a dig through my old records, got quite alot of his stuff. caustic window was the best , also think he had something to do with joyrex. joyrex j4 was a classic. analogue bubblebath was a quality ep

Oh, the Joyrex EPs were f***ing mental! I've got most of them on vinyl, great squelchy acid breakdowns. Those were the days :)

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
Hate Kentish Town, near the Jobcentre. Looking to move to Dalston or Stoke Newington

Its all young kids round here wearing skinny jeans. all into indie (horrible trebly shit).
Wot happened man, when we were kids i was into (still am) future sounds, Electronic stuff, early British hip hop, Silver Bullet, Caveman, Hijack, Demon Boyz, Mc Duke ect etc.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
whaaaaat

love warp ...

and yeah viberts making some amazing stuff these days, check his black mustang guise too.

and R&S are back in business - so to speak - they released a couple of radioslave bits last year but they have now signed a band from manchester called Delphic, a bit like friendly fires which is odd for a techno label, but they're being produced by ewan pearson and they're gonna be BIG. i interviewed him about this a while back here.

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
I will keep my eyes & ears open. Cheers

How's Manchester?. to me it blows that other city 30 miles away out of the water.

Wot are you listening to at the moment?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here