Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warning... Amazon Prime free trial - just be aware you pay for it if you don't cancel

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I have had 2 free trials of Prime and successfully managed to cancel just before the end of the trial.

I do not purchase enough to justify it over a year.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If you have purchased anything from Amazon lately I'd check you bank statement. They tried to charge me £49 subscription fee, it was listed under Amazon Prime. The credit card company told me they'd had load of complaints about this. I purchased a book a few months ago and they were offering free delivery, in taking up this offer they automatically upgrade your account and charge an annual fee of £49. Got my money back but thought it was quite sneaky of them.

Sneaky? It's the terms of the deal (not even small print).

Thank you for your opinion

I don't think he meant you, I assume he was referring to the OP, who is a perfect customer in that he signs up for a clearly advertised free trial and then forgets to cancel the subscription, which is exactly what they're hoping for with this kind of deal.

I've signed up for a Prime trial before and it was great, although I don't use it enough to justify the £49. It was very clearly advertised at all times that I had to unsubscribe before the trial expired. Can't believe people complain about this (or the Audible offer in which even the ads make it clear that you have to sign up to a paid subscription service to get the free book).

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I don't think he meant you, I assume he was referring to the OP, who is a perfect customer in that he signs up for a clearly advertised free trial and then forgets to cancel the subscription, which is exactly what they're hoping for with this kind of deal.

I've signed up for a Prime trial before and it was great, although I don't use it enough to justify the £49. It was very clearly advertised at all times that I had to unsubscribe before the trial expired. Can't believe people complain about this (or the Audible offer in which even the ads make it clear that you have to sign up to a paid subscription service to get the free book).

Thank you for your clarification.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

I was. Ta.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I did exactly this about 6 months ago and got my money back without any problem.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Which magazine will not complain about these dubious practices, because they use it themselves.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I got caught out by McAfee when I renewed online , 12 months later I was billed for a further renewal because I didn't untick the auto enrolment box. I got a refund based on the argument I should have been given the choice to opt in which is a good customer trading practice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here