Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warning... Amazon Prime free trial - just be aware you pay for it if you don't cancel

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
If you have purchased anything from Amazon lately I'd check you bank statement. They tried to charge me £49 subscription fee, it was listed under Amazon Prime. The credit card company told me they'd had load of complaints about this. I purchased a book a few months ago and they were offering free delivery, in taking up this offer they automatically upgrade your account and charge an annual fee of £49. Got my money back but thought it was quite sneaky of them.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
that's a common occurance, but not a scam. You didn't read the small print.

Every free trial will auto en-roll you after the trial period. It's in the Terms and Conditions you agree to.

Sep 1, 2011
swear someone on here tells you to purchase from amazon? cant remember who it is now but sure ive seen it on somebodys signature???

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
that's a common occurance, but not a scam. You didn't read the small print.

Every free trial will auto en-roll you after the trial period. It's in the Terms and Conditions you agree to.

Does anyone read the small print? Bet 1000's of people end up paying this without knowing. Just glad I spotted it and got my dosh back.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Not a scam; you get I think a 7 day trial for prime and it says in quite large letters i believe something along the lines of "at the end of the trial you will be billed £49 per year". I think Amazon Prime is bloody useful; free next day delivery on anything <3

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Quite clear to me, hardly small print

Don't wait for what you want. Get it fast.

You can find just about anything you're looking for on Amazon.co.uk. And now, you can get it delivered the way you want — fast and free — with Amazon Prime.

Try Amazon Prime free for one month (new members only) and enjoy all the benefits that come with membership. There's no obligation — cancel anytime before your Free Trial is over and you will not be charged the £49.00 annual fee.

to be honest you are lucky to get your money back

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
swear someone on here tells you to purchase from amazon? cant remember who it is now but sure ive seen it on somebodys signature???

i know i cant think where i have seen it ??? all this encouragement for internet fools like us to be conned out of £49

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Not a scam; you get I think a 7 day trial for prime and it says in quite large letters i believe something along the lines of "at the end of the trial you will be billed £49 per year". I think Amazon Prime is bloody useful; free next day delivery on anything <3

If you use Amazon regularly it doesn't take long to use up 49 quid's worth of deliveries. I use Prime and have no complaints at all.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Mod: I have amended the title so as not to mislead people... or cause any unnecessary antagonism to an organisation whose payments help keep NSC on the air!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Thanks for the heads up - sent them an email (not sure if i have set up for it but cancelled just to make sure)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If you use Amazon regularly it doesn't take long to use up 49 quid's worth of deliveries. I use Prime and have no complaints at all.

we use it too and save that on books and deliveries in the first few months

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Prime is a great service - for £49 a year Amazon will deliver anything and everything, nomatter the value, to you the very next day.

Of course if you don't use Amazon much and/or you're never in much of a rush to receive things then it might seem expensive to give it the swerve.

If you've not used it before they do offer a month's free trial - it can be well worth taking it out in December to ensure the pressies you order on time.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
This happened with me and the free audiobook from 'Audible'. You register for it through Amazon and then next month Audible takes £7.99 from your bank account via your Amazon log-in. I got my money back but the chap at Audible sounded like he'd had enough of processing this type of call.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
This happened with me and the free audiobook from 'Audible'. You register for it through Amazon and then next month Audible takes £7.99 from your bank account via your Amazon log-in. I got my money back but the chap at Audible sounded like he'd had enough of processing this type of call.

It's again made very clear that you will be charged after your trial.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Can't believe you managed to get your money back there!

Didn't have a problem, the girl at Amazon was very helpful and told me they'd had many people complaining. The credit card company knew all about it too, as soon as I said it was Amazon Prime they gave me the number to contact them without hesitation. That suggests to me that many people have been caught out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here