Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ward deal off... Paul Konchesky

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That can be said of any player.

Who would you say is more likely to play the most minutes over the next 3 seasons:-

Ward or Konchesky?

Ward was consistently my favourite player last season.
Did anyone else play more minutes?
There's no reason to think he'll start dialing it in after a signing a new contract, and there's nothing about him physically to make us think he'll catch Buckleyitis.

All of which hamper Chicksen's progression.

If only there was some way to loan Chicksen out to get him game time as he progresses, eh? Also, if he gets good enough to be challenging Ward for a spot (which he needs to be) then he'll be getting game time that way, just like Bruno/Calderon. Can't see the issue myself.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Konchesky was on a big wage at Leicester, and has been throughout his career.
He is well past his best, and is looking for a final pay day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only there was some way to loan Chicksen out to get him game time as he progresses, eh? Also, if he gets good enough to be challenging Ward for a spot (which he needs to be) then he'll be getting game time that way, just like Bruno/Calderon. Can't see the issue myself.
Who are you having as a back up left back if Ward is out injured or suspended?

Bruno and Calderon are like for like, different strengths and weaknesses but overall similar enough, so hardly a fair comparison.
Chicksen is just starting out with x amount of years of progression to get to where Ward was last season.
The good problem for me is last season Ward was the very dictionary definition of consistency.

2, or less likely 3, seasons of that and Chicksen's going nowhere fast.
Bench warming back up here, short term loans around the league, or half/full season loans, away from the Albion at a point when he might miss his 'chance' here.

That being said a couple of seasons of Ward is still a fantastic option.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
There must be cheaper AND better options. Ward being one of them. This is a very underwhelming alternative.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think people are being way to harsh on Konchesky. I recall being quite impressed by his performance for Leicester at the Amex. Delt with everything very calmly and made it look easy, reminded me a bit of Wayne Bridge in that respect. I also think a lot of people rate Stephen Ward too highly. I remember thinking a number of times last season that he'd just switched off and not defended properly. Basically, Konchesky's not as bad as some would suggest and Ward's not as good as some would. Both would be reasonable additions to the squad.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
An experienced LB and another centre half has to be our top priority otherwise we'll leak goals.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
[/U
This was a rumour from the Mirror, the same Mirror that linked us to Fat Frank, and Joe Cole. I'm not sure their sauce is even as good as ERNEST. Probably better than Bens Grandad though

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Wardy > Paul K

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
How close is your sauce?

As close as HP gets to the bacon in a bacon sandwich.

Of course, I know there are some moral degenerates who believe that ketchup goes on bacon sandwiches. They can think what they like.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A sauce of mine suggests that the Ward deal is by no means off.

I agree.

I imagine it would quite suit the Albion to let Wolves think they'd walked away & were looking elsewhere. Wolves are desperate to offload rather than spend another million quid on wages for a player who isn't part of their plans and the Albion know that. I'm sure the club have a contingency just in case, but I'm not falling for this Konchesky stuff in the meantime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here