Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ward deal off... Paul Konchesky

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If you were in a job currently paying you £650k per annum and a prospective new employer offers you £500k per annum what do you do?

If the 500k were on offer for say 3 years and the 650k for say one year and taking the 650k for the one year were likely to directly impact my earning ability for future years, I'd probably take the 500k as it goes.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
David Lopez ran rings around Konchesky

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Here's those details of the Argus story today conflicting with Mirror piece that says Ward deal is off...
Andy Naylor says still chance of deal.

Albion could still re-sign Stephen Ward, despite a surprise appearance for his parent club Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Wolves boss Kenny Jackett has reiterated Ward’s future is away from Molineux after he played a full 90 minutes in Tuesday night’s 1-0 win at Oxford United.
Albion’s interest in signing the Republic of Ireland left-back permanently following his loan spell at the Amex last season has been undermined for financial reasons.
Wolves want around £100,000 for Ward but the main stumbling block has been his £13,000-a-week wages. The Seagulls paid £10,000-a-week in the loan deal.
Jackett said: “He’s looking for his next move – we all know that – and he had a successful last season.
“To get some match fitness and show a good attitude on Tuesday night will only help him in whatever he wants to do next.
“I don’t know if there was anyone there to watch him, that wasn’t the reason why I played him.
“If I hadn’t have played him, it would have left the team too young against Oxford, who are a good side and a big club.”

via http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11376964.Why_Wolves_gave_Albion_target_Ward_that_surprise_outing/

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
£500K times 3 years = £1,500,000 ( + lots of football)

£650K times 1 year + ? (future earning) = £650K ( + no football)

This is more that most of us can imagine anyway?

He probably has well over a million put away, I wonder have much you would need that you don't have to worry - ever!

He just needs to decide where he will be most happy working and with friends & family.

How much cash would you need to see you through, with no worries - his lifestyle/expenses is probably more extravagant than most of ours! (different world)

A million and I would give up work, two million - Wow, no worries. :lolol:

(depends how much you enjoy your job I guess?)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Konchesky is a class act at this level although I do agree his age would be a worry and his wages would be more than Wards.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Whatever happens It needs to happen soon as we've still got that big gap at left back as well as in other areas of the team and the season is just 9 days away.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Konchesky is a class act at this level although I do agree his age would be a worry and his wages would be more than Wards.

No he's not.

Hence they played other people out of position to cover him, such as Jeff Schlupp.

That's backed up by 2 Leicester season ticket holders I'm good friends with, he's way past his best, and is far from a class act now.

Dec 29, 2011
If nobody else was offering any more and I liked the job on offer, wages apart, I'd ask for 3 years on the lower wage rather than risk not playing first team football for a year and taking an even bigger drop when the 650k contract ran out next June.

Why wouldn't he play for the first team? If he stays at Wolves surely he'll start. After his contract expires he can find a new club who will give a big sign-on fee and high wages as he's a free agent, sign on fees tend to be higher to reflect the lack of transfer fee. I'd stay at Wolves, pocket the money, then grab a nice new 3 year contract at another club when I leave on a free transfer.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Why wouldn't he play for the first team? If he stays at Wolves surely he'll start. .

He's been told by Jackett he is not in his plans, and were even rumours that him and other high earners such as Doyle, O'hara and Johnson have been told to train separately from the first team. He won't be starting that's for sure.

Puts us in a strong bargaining position, in that if he doesn't find a club to buy him, he'll be sitting in the reserves for a year.

Edit: article attached http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...and-stephen-ward-not-in-kenny-jacketts-plans/

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why wouldn't he play for the first team? If he stays at Wolves surely he'll start. After his contract expires he can find a new club who will give a big sign-on fee and high wages as he's a free agent, sign on fees tend to be higher to reflect the lack of transfer fee. I'd stay at Wolves, pocket the money, then grab a nice new 3 year contract at another club when I leave on a free transfer.

I believe he has been told his future is not at Wolves. Maybe this would change if nobody pays the asking price/wages but as things stand he is not wanted by Wolves :shrug:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
David Lopez ran rings around Konchesky

Think pretty much every time I've seen us play against him our wingers have caused him absolute Hell , that plus wages

It's a pass for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Konchesky would be the better/cheaper option if the club believes Chicksen to be the real deal.

AC would get more game time this season with a view to taking over next season.

Ward puts a block on AC for 3 more seasons.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Assuming he's injury free.
That can be said of any player.

Who would you say is more likely to play the most minutes over the next 3 seasons:-

Ward or Konchesky?

Ward was consistently my favourite player last season.
Did anyone else play more minutes?
There's no reason to think he'll start dialing it in after a signing a new contract, and there's nothing about him physically to make us think he'll catch Buckleyitis.

All of which hamper Chicksen's progression.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here