Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

walking to the amex?

el punal

Well I suppose I could walk it from my house in Southampton to the Amex. That's about 64 miles give or take. So allowing a walking speed of 4mph, it should take 16 hours.

So, if I leave home at 7.00 pm tomorrow I should arrive at about 1.00pm on Saturday for the Charlton game with time for a few beers.

Can someone give me a lift home please?

i usually walk on saturdays from portslade, as long as its dry. I go along the seafront, turn up at the pier, and walk up lewes road. Its around 8.5 miles, takes me about 2 hours door-to-door. An hour to the pier, and another hour the rest of the way from there. The stairs up to the wsu are a doddle after that, nicely warmed up.

Headphones and podcasts all the way. Lovely lovely.

missing alot of wildlife and bluebells will be stunning by saturday!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh you take the short cut via the pier

missing alot of wildlife and bluebells will be stunning by saturday!

Well it may not be the most direct route as the crow flies, but I love walking in along Hove and Brighton seafront. The wind in my hair, a song in my heart, and the thrilling anticipation of another Amex GOALFEST driving me on.

Well...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I ran from the Old Deer Park in Richmond, but it was in May and I obviously got the date wrong as there was no game on when I got to the Amex so I carried on to the racecourse. 63.5 miles.
Beacon to Stanmer is a nice route if anyone fancies it. All downhill (obviously) and nice path all the way.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Edna, I pla to do exactly this for the last home game of the season. I've walked from the beacon a few times, but never from Burgess Hill before.

A couple of questions, if you would: do you mean to say there are paths from Burgess Hill also, and if so, do you know where I can go for info on them? Are there any nice pubs en route? And how bad is the ascent from Burgess Hill to the beacon? Can it be done with pints inside and in casual clothes, or is this for serious walkers only?

Thanks!

Cycle path/pavement to Hassocks. Down to the station, follow the footpath under station bridge to Clayton. Cross the playing field, up the hill to the Windmills. South Downs Way to the Beacon, cross the road, after about half a mile take a right across the fields, down into the valley. Follow the track up the hill, through one gate then right at the second, back down (steep hill). Follow the fence until the next gate, up the hill through the woods until you reach a crossroads on the footpath. Turn left takes you to Stanmer Park. PM me if you want a map ! Pubs en route - Friars Oak and the Hassocks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I keep meaning to attempt the walk from Burgess Hill. I'm told there are footpaths all the way over the Downs from Ditchling Beacon, so I'll give it a go one day when I've got a few hours spare pre-match.

Not every game, obviously. That would detract from pub time.

My mate did that for the Middlesbrough game. Took him just under 2 hours

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I suppose it depends where in BH you are, as to what route you take. I would get to Hassocks station somehow and from there I'd take the cinder path, through Butchers Wood to Clayton, couple of liveners in the Jack and Jill, along Underhill Lane until the footpath up to the windmills and then follow your nose to Ditchling Beacon and on go Stanmer Park and the Amex.

Trying to work out whether from my place it would be quicker to go down Folders Lane, along Ditchling Common Lane to Ditchling, then up the Beacon from there.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My mate did that for the Middlesbrough game. Took him just under 2 hours

That seems fairly quick. A google search suggests a minimum of just under 3hrs, though I know they base it on a fairly comfortable pace. It says it's between 8 & 9 miles from mine, depending on the route, so 4-5 miles an hour.

Routes suggested from Burgess Hill are either down Folders Lane/Ditchling Common Lane, or via Ockley Lane to Keymer, then down Lodge Lane to Underhill Lane & up the Beacon from there.

I do fancy giving it a go, but not sure there are any suitable home games left this season.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I might do a little test run on one of my days off next week, to give all you eager Mid Sussex walkers an idea of the best route & timings etc. Weather permitting, of course.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
On a nice day the walk from Lewes to Falmer is great - along the old racecourse, up to Black Cap and down to the Swan pub for a few :cheers:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I might do a little test run on one of my days off next week, to give all you eager Mid Sussex walkers an idea of the best route & timings etc. Weather permitting, of course.

Best of luck climbing up to the beacon from Ditchling....don't try to do it on a full stomach.
On a separate note wasn't yesterday gorgeous weather wise

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Cycle path/pavement to Hassocks. Down to the station, follow the footpath under station bridge to Clayton. Cross the playing field, up the hill to the Windmills. South Downs Way to the Beacon, cross the road, after about half a mile take a right across the fields, down into the valley. Follow the track up the hill, through one gate then right at the second, back down (steep hill). Follow the fence until the next gate, up the hill through the woods until you reach a crossroads on the footpath. Turn left takes you to Stanmer Park. PM me if you want a map ! Pubs en route - Friars Oak and the Hassocks.

Thanks, dazzer. This plan is starting to coagulate in my head. I'm alright from the beacon, as have done a couple of times. But I want to make a bit more of the time before hand. So, my current thinking is one of two plans, both starting from getting off the train in Hassocks.

1) Walk to Ditchling and drink in a couple of places there (they look nice). Then, taxi to Pyecombe (public transport seeingly not an option). Then start the South Downs way to the beacon.

2) Walk to Jack and Jill, drink, then on to Pyecombe.

Basically, the questions is, if you're out that way, is it worth the effort, and taxi ride, to visit the village of Ditchling?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Couple of nice pubs in Ditchling. The Bull is very pleasant. Serves very nice food, slightly pricey but worth a visit.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I've never walked to a match, but I have walked home a few times...took me about 75 minutes to get back to Brunswick area.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree the Bull is worth a visit, sort of gastropub-like. From there you could go straight up to the Beacon (off road paths if you prefer) and down to Falmer as above. The White Horse is also good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here