Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

walking to the amex?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I once walked from the Falmer pitches (BACA) to Withdean Stadium. My son had played football in the morning so I decided we would walk to Withdean . Felt a bit sorry for my son . He was 9 at the time and had just played a game . To make matters worse , it was the Sunday game where we lost 0-4 at home to Blackpool.

Ouch :lolol:

We were shocking that day.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You weren't in the Guides or Brownies were you?

Yeah. But Brownies didn't do stuff like CAMPING back then. We stayed in poxy Angmering Village Hall for a few days & went to the playground place in Littlehampton :ohmy:

Camping was the fun stuff that boys did :(

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I keep meaning to attempt the walk from Burgess Hill. I'm told there are footpaths all the way over the Downs from Ditchling Beacon.

Edna, I pla to do exactly this for the last home game of the season. I've walked from the beacon a few times, but never from Burgess Hill before.

A couple of questions, if you would: do you mean to say there are paths from Burgess Hill also, and if so, do you know where I can go for info on them? Are there any nice pubs en route? And how bad is the ascent from Burgess Hill to the beacon? Can it be done with pints inside and in casual clothes, or is this for serious walkers only?

Thanks!

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Sounds like a circuitous route.

That's right. It wasn't planned.

Having stayed to the bitter end, the queues by Falmer Station were enough to make me carry on walking, and explore onwards.

I could have caught a free bus at several points, but the birds were singing, spring had sprung (even in Moulsecoomb) so I thought, what they h. Might as well do some shopping....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I once walked from the Falmer pitches (BACA) to Withdean Stadium. My son had played football in the morning so I decided we would walk to Withdean . Felt a bit sorry for my son . He was 9 at the time and had just played a game . To make matters worse , it was the Sunday game where we lost 0-4 at home to Blackpool.

How long did it take you PFJ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
How long would it take from Asda Hollingbury to the Amex?

According to Google maps it would take about an hour, it won't take that long. I've walked from there to the Amex and i'd say at a brisk(ish) pace it took me 45 mins max.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Edna, I pla to do exactly this for the last home game of the season. I've walked from the beacon a few times, but never from Burgess Hill before.

A couple of questions, if you would: do you mean to say there are paths from Burgess Hill also, and if so, do you know where I can go for info on them? Are there any nice pubs en route? And how bad is the ascent from Burgess Hill to the beacon? Can it be done with pints inside and in casual clothes, or is this for serious walkers only?

Thanks!
There are paths from everywhere to everywhere, look at an ordnance survey map. You'd want to be fit - ish though.

kroqq

Mar 28, 2013
I live right next to Asda Hollingbury (Yeah, Lucky Me!) and walk to every home game. 50 mins.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
How long did it take you PFJ?

It was a long time ago , and I had a knackered 9 year old and his 11 year old sister in tow. Factor in Coldean Lane and think it took the best part of an hour and a hal to 2 hoursf.Would be a lot quicker without the kids I would imagine. I am currently walking to and from work . That is the bottom of Church Road in Portslade to the Stanford Avenue end of Preston Park .Takes an hour exactly .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I usually walk on Saturdays from Portslade, as long as its dry. I go along the seafront, turn up at the pier, and walk up Lewes road. Its around 8.5 miles, takes me about 2 hours door-to-door. An hour to the pier, and another hour the rest of the way from there. The stairs up to the WSU are a doddle after that, nicely warmed up.

Headphones and podcasts all the way. Lovely lovely.

I usually walk on Saturdays from Portslade, as long as its dry. I go along the seafront, turn up at the pier, and walk up Lewes road. Its around 8.5 miles, takes me about 2 hours door-to-door. An hour to the pier, and another hour the rest of the way from there. The stairs up to the WSU are a doddle after that, nicely warmed up.

Headphones and podcasts all the way. Lovely lovely.

Oh you take the short cut via the pier

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

Thanks!

I suppose it depends where in BH you are, as to what route you take. I would get to Hassocks station somehow and from there I'd take the cinder path, through Butchers Wood to Clayton, couple of liveners in the Jack and Jill, along Underhill Lane until the footpath up to the windmills and then follow your nose to Ditchling Beacon and on go Stanmer Park and the Amex.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I suppose it depends where in BH you are, as to what route you take. I would get to Hassocks station somehow and from there I'd take the cinder path, through Butchers Wood to Clayton, couple of liveners in the Jack and Jill, along Underhill Lane until the footpath up to the windmills and then follow your nose to Ditchling Beacon and on go Stanmer Park and the Amex.

better that way than going up 'heart attack hill'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here