Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WALES LEADS THE WAY

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Remind me what level do Lewes play in, both men and women. It's an idealistic argument that is unworkable. Do you think that if every footballer at brighton had to be paid the same amount, we'd have the team we have now?
I was responding to this statement

‘There isn't even equal pay……..even within a single club’

I know what you mean though…….every contract is individually negotiated, there is no real ‘equal pay’ on a player by player basis in a literal sense.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I have no problem with football functioning less as a giant conglomerate and more as a people's movement.
Equal pay all over football is very far away and if it does happen - it doesn't terrify me one bit because why the f*** would it? I have zero problems with Harry Kane only being able to afford 5 new mansions per year rather than the 10 he could buy now if that change makes someone else (like a woman) able to buy the 5 he can't get hold of. I don't find that terrifying.
I honestly think you`re trying to either goad me or purposely miss my point , it`s not about taking anything away from the women`s game it`s about the quality and competition of the football , even you must see the chasm .

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
My missus constantly shouts up the women’s game but whilst she is happy to see the Albions men’s team she has no interest in seeing a women’s game.

I agree with subsidising it to a degree to give it a jump start, but ultimately the women’s game has to stand on its own two feet. If the product is good enough, people will come and if it’s not they won’t. Time will tell.

I actually think switching it to being a summer game for the women’s league would help a lot, and take away the competition it always has with the men’s game for interest. It would give fans a football fix in the summer, a bit like the way rugby league is now instead of the days when Eddie Waring was a commentator. I might go to a well packaged women’s game in the summer, in the winter I go to enough games already and so attending a women’s game is far lower on my list of things to do.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I honestly think you`re trying to either goad me or purposely miss my point , it`s not about taking anything away from the women`s game it`s about the quality and competition of the football , even you must see the chasm .
I have answered your arguments multiple times but you have ignored it or been unable to understand/answer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Simple , the respective competition is far lower , so generates less interest and income
So because 15 year old boys team is better you think they get more fans watching than the US women's team? You're a dinosaur. And you're wrong.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
So because 15 year old boys team is better you think they get more fans watching than the US women's team? You're a dinosaur. And you're wrong.
I think that’s very harsh. Most people objectively accept women's football is of a poorer quality than men’s, and indeed many boys youth levels. What makes any competition interesting as a spectator is two teams of a similar ability competing with everything they’ve got.

I can happily enjoy Seaford Town against Forest Row or England women vs Japan women.

The point about payment is absolutely valid, as the women’s game simply doesn’t generate the same amount of revenue to pay high salaries to the players. It is impossible to pay Beth Mead £100k a week when they are playing to a gate which brings in a total of £75k - at a push - with limited sponsorship and television money.

Why limited sponsorship and television money? Because a fraction of people who watch men’s football will watch women’s football, no matter how hard it is pushed as a credible alternative.

Why won’t they watch? Because the top level of women’s football is vastly inferior to low levels of the men’s game.

The only way it would work would be if each club had a wealthy benefactor sponsoring the club, happy to lose tens of millions of pounds each year, solely to provide equal pay in the women’s game.

Needless to say this can not and will not ever happen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think that’s very harsh.
What is harsh?

Most people objectively accept women's football is of a poorer quality than men’s, and indeed many boys youth levels. What makes any competition interesting as a spectator is two teams of a similar ability competing with everything they’ve got.
It seems like you're agreeing with me :shrug:

The point about payment is absolutely valid, as the women’s game simply doesn’t generate the same amount of revenue to pay high salaries to the players. It is impossible to pay Beth Mead £100k a week when they are playing to a gate which brings in a total of £75k
You know we were talking about the US right?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I kind of get this at an international level. Broadly men shouldn't even get paid to represent their country.

You won't get equal pay at club level though that's a ludicrous concept. And most football clubs are run by hard nosed business men so they would simply shut the women's team down.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
My missus constantly shouts up the women’s game but whilst she is happy to see the Albions men’s team she has no interest in seeing a women’s game.

I agree with subsidising it to a degree to give it a jump start, but ultimately the women’s game has to stand on its own two feet. If the product is good enough, people will come and if it’s not they won’t. Time will tell.

I actually think switching it to being a summer game for the women’s league would help a lot, and take away the competition it always has with the men’s game for interest. It would give fans a football fix in the summer, a bit like the way rugby league is now instead of the days when Eddie Waring was a commentator. I might go to a well packaged women’s game in the summer, in the winter I go to enough games already and so attending a women’s game is far lower on my list of things to do.
I agree with you.

The issue is there needs to be the new generation of fans just for the Women’s game.

As a women, I want women's football to be a success because it means young girls can grow believing they can become professional football players. I was not allowed that dream. But also, I have invested all my life supporting the Brighton men’s team so that is where I invest my time and money. If Brighton Women are playing and it is on the TV, I will watch it. I prefer the women’s England team over the men’s and have been to and enjoyed going to watch their games.

I do not live close enough to attend Brighton's Men and Brighton's Women’s team. The cost of fuel add that going to a Brighton game is a full day event, not popping out for a couple of hours, so I think a lot of women are like your wife, we have already committed our time to the only thing that was on offer, men’s football, and it is difficult to swap.

The growth in the women’s game will have to come from offering something different, a place where people who are put off with some aspects of the men's game either on the pitch or atmosphere in the stadium as well as a new generation of girls and boys who follow the women’s game from the start.

I think your idea of switch it to a summer game is a great.

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford
Unfortunately while (some, quite a lot) cash rich Premier League clubs make their women play miles away from home, the interest isn't going to grow. That's a bigger issue than whether players get paid the same for the honour of representing their country.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think that’s very harsh. Most people objectively accept women's football is of a poorer quality than men’s, and indeed many boys youth levels. What makes any competition interesting as a spectator is two teams of a similar ability competing with everything they’ve got.

I can happily enjoy Seaford Town against Forest Row or England women vs Japan women.

The point about payment is absolutely valid, as the women’s game simply doesn’t generate the same amount of revenue to pay high salaries to the players. It is impossible to pay Beth Mead £100k a week when they are playing to a gate which brings in a total of £75k - at a push - with limited sponsorship and television money.

Why limited sponsorship and television money? Because a fraction of people who watch men’s football will watch women’s football, no matter how hard it is pushed as a credible alternative.

Why won’t they watch? Because the top level of women’s football is vastly inferior to low levels of the men’s game.

The only way it would work would be if each club had a wealthy benefactor sponsoring the club, happy to lose tens of millions of pounds each year, solely to provide equal pay in the women’s game.

Who knows where it’ll end up though……..the women’s game is very ’new’ compared to the men (no-one was even fantasising about 100m transfers and 350k/week wages even 20 years ago) and developing fast. Standards have gone up enormously even in the last 2-3 seasons. More teams are going full-time pro every season, the setups are becoming more professional etc etc.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Who knows where it’ll end up though……..the women’s game is very ’new’ compared to the men (no-one was even fantasising about 100m transfers and 350k/week wages even 20 years ago) and developing fast. Standards have gone up enormously even in the last 2-3 seasons. More teams are going full-time pro every season, the setups are becoming more professional etc etc.
Absolutely. But the women’s game isn’t ready for everything at once that, as you point out, has taken decades to manifest in the men’s game. It’s in its absolute infancy. The quality is slowly rising but right now it’d be downright patronising to imply the standard is anywhere close to men’s football.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely. But the women’s game isn’t ready for everything at once that, as you point out, has taken decades to manifest in the men’s game. It’s in its absolute infancy. The quality is slowly rising but right now it’d be downright patronising to imply the standard is anywhere close to men’s football.
Depends what the ‘standard’ comprises…….women are way behind in terms of speed and strength, less so on technical ability on the ball and tactics. They’re currently miles ahead (but will no doubt ‘evolve’ as the men did) on not rolling around pretending to be hurt, surrounding the ref and timewasting (for example) which often makes for a better watch.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Footballers’ pay like that in a lot of jobs is determined by the market. When I worked in banking I negotiated my own pay and never knew what others earned. In teaching there are pay scales but these are ranges and are supplemented by earnings from additional responsibilities so there is never entirely ‘equal’ pay. Regardless, I reckon footballers’ pay comes into the first category and as such women would be paid the same amount as men if they had the same negotiating power and that comes from their money generating potential. Just the same as in banking.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

Thankyou for putting my thoughts down FAR better than i have managed (y)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Nah.

The standards aren't important in making people watch the game. Most people don't have a f***ing clue about what is really going on on the pitch other than when the ball finds one of the nets.

If quality was the thing drawing people to the sport, stadiums all around the world would be empty as everyone could just stay at home and watch the PL or La Liga.

The hype around it is what really does it: the experience of going to the game with a bunch of friends, the shared suffering and pleasure, the memory, the tradition, the hype, the discussions about it in the workplace... no matter if the team league is shite or not.

Its a matter of hype and attention creating hype and attention. Snowballs itself. The quality of football in itself is higher in FIFA 2022 or Pro Evolution Soccer but very few bothers to sit and watch e-sports just because the ball kicking is better... because the other things (friends, rainy weather, memories, tradition etc) aren't there.

Perhaps best proven by how falling number of people attending and tv viewers in the 80s were reverted in the 90s. The football was not much different in 1993 compared to say 1987 but the framework was (graphical profile and improvement in number of cameras etc on tv, and cleaner & better looking stadiums), and that was enough to revive the game.

Similarly, in Sweden Allsvenskan has never been as shit as now from an international perspective yet it hasn't been this popular since the 1950s. Because it is safe (compared to the 90s...), it gets attention (discussion points that increases interest), TV companies try harder to find good pundits and so forth.

The way attention/interest is created has changed from when men's football first became popular. "My community vs yours" was a big interesting thing in a not particularly interconnected world. Not so much now. If something is going to be popular, interest must be created artificially (as is the case with women's football right now) and then it can become this self-playing piano. But it really needs that pulling power to get anywhere... regardless of how good/bad the ball kicking is.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nah.

The standards aren't important in making people watch the game. Most people don't have a f***ing clue about what is really going on on the pitch other than when the ball finds one of the nets.

If quality was the thing drawing people to the sport, stadiums all around the world would be empty as everyone could just stay at home and watch the PL or La Liga.

The hype around it is what really does it: the experience of going to the game with a bunch of friends, the shared suffering and pleasure, the memory, the tradition, the hype, the discussions about it in the workplace... no matter if the team league is shite or not.

Its a matter of hype and attention creating hype and attention. Snowballs itself. The quality of football in itself is higher in FIFA 2022 or Pro Evolution Soccer but very few bothers to sit and watch e-sports just because the ball kicking is better... because the other things (friends, rainy weather, memories, tradition etc) aren't there.

Perhaps best proven by how falling number of people attending and tv viewers in the 80s were reverted in the 90s. The football was not much different in 1993 compared to say 1987 but the framework was (graphical profile and improvement in number of cameras etc on tv, and cleaner & better looking stadiums), and that was enough to revive the game.

Similarly, in Sweden Allsvenskan has never been as shit as now from an international perspective yet it hasn't been this popular since the 1950s. Because it is safe (compared to the 90s...), it gets attention (discussion points that increases interest), TV companies try harder to find good pundits and so forth.

The way attention/interest is created has changed from when men's football first became popular. "My community vs yours" was a big interesting thing in a not particularly interconnected world. Not so much now. If something is going to be popular, interest must be created artificially (as is the case with women's football right now) and then it can become this self-playing piano. But it really needs that pulling power to get anywhere... regardless of how good/bad the ball kicking is.
I completely disagree on every level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here