Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WALES LEADS THE WAY

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Wales has become the first country to give equal pay to men and women for representing their country.

You would like to think that England will swiftly do the same (particularly as the Lionesses have been far more successful on the global stage than their male counterparts)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Wales has become the first country to give equal pay to men and women for representing their country.

You would like to think that England will swiftly do the same (particularly as the Lionesses have been far more successful on the global stage than their male counterparts)
Yeah but, no.

It is simply not the same game in terms of technique, tempo, and market forces currently.
May I be as so bold to say, there may not be that much difference between the Welsh Men's team and Women's team so therefore they feel justified offering them the same money.

:fishing:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I don't see the commercial argument with this decision. If Sky TV wish to pay £3.4bn to Premier League teams it seems reasonable to assume some of this will filter down to the participants in the sport at a % of the overall sum available. If the women's game has a £250m deal then surely they are entitled to the same % of the fee they attract? Fully aware I'll get "burnt" "cancelled" etc for this but can't see how you'd fund a similar payment, for players playing nationally or internationally?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If you say you're English these days you get thrown in jail.
Not a bad idea to be honest, at least you won't have to bother with public transport, rising cost of living and they have an in house hospital most of them now.
Always try and look on the positive side

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The English men give all their England fees to charity and have done for a long time.

Do the Welsh men not do this ?
why should they, the Welsh are a registered charity I thought, living off the back of the English economy and tax payers money for years now.
;)

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
To me it should be about revenue generation, once the Lionesses start to generate the same as the men then grant equal pay. I would imagine a men's game at Wembley generates significantly more money than a women's game, so how could equal pay be justified? Likewise in terms of sponsorship / TV money / merchandise I would imagine the men's game is massively ahead in terms of generating revenue.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To me it should be about revenue generation, once the Lionesses start to generate the same as the men then grant equal pay.
they already get equal pay

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought Denmark did this a while ago

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To me it should be about revenue generation, once the Lionesses start to generate the same as the men then grant equal pay. I would imagine a men's game at Wembley generates significantly more money than a women's game, so how could equal pay be justified? Likewise in terms of sponsorship / TV money / merchandise I would imagine the men's game is massively ahead in terms of generating revenue.
As I see it, that makes sense on a club level but not on a FA level.

If FA spending would depend on revenue and how much money the entities bring to the game, then the vast majority or so of the £50m or so per year spent on grassroot football should be spent on supporting the big 6 and other big teams. Also f*** referee fees, coach education and all that sort of non-profit bollocks - money should go into the accounts of those who already have it.

Nah. I think it makes a lot of sense. If anything, the women should be paid more. To a female footballer, the money from the national team means a lot, it could be the difference between keep playing or quitting the game to pursuit a more profitable career (= pretty much any other profession, though this is changing). Meanwhile pouring another million or two on Harry Kane means absolutely nothing for him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought Denmark did this a while ago
I don't know about Denmark but the BBC article says this.
Wales join other nations such as United States of America, England, Brazil, Australia, Norway and New Zealand in paying their players the same international match fee.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I don't know about Denmark but the BBC article says this.
Wales join other nations such as United States of America, England, Brazil, Australia, Norway and New Zealand in paying their players the same international match fee.
Perhaps I was confusing Denmark with Norway........

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
As I see it, that makes sense on a club level but not on a FA level.

If FA spending would depend on revenue and how much money the entities bring to the game, then the vast majority or so of the £50m or so per year spent on grassroot football should be spent on supporting the big 6 and other big teams. Also f*** referee fees, coach education and all that sort of non-profit bollocks - money should go into the accounts of those who already have it.

Nah. I think it makes a lot of sense. If anything, the women should be paid more. To a female footballer, the money from the national team means a lot, it could be the difference between keep playing or quitting the game to pursuit a more profitable career (= pretty much any other profession, though this is changing). Meanwhile pouring another million or two on Harry Kane means absolutely nothing for him.
Your last paragraph makes total sense and I agree about the money making a lot more difference to a female than a multi millionaire male player.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I could be wrong, but don't England also pay their women internationals the same as the men? If so it's not so much 'Wales leads the way' as 'Wales catch up at last!'

(Setting myself up for a lot of egg on face if that isn't the case!)

EDIT: Yes, the article itself seems to suggest that: Wales join other nations such as United States of America, England, Brazil, Australia, Norway and New Zealand in paying their players the same international match fee.

EDIT2: @Thunder Bolt beat me to it!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I could be wrong, but don't England also pay their women internationals the same as the men? If so it's not so much 'Wales leads the way' as 'Wales catch up at last!'

(Setting myself up for a lot of egg on face if that isn't the case!)
You're right. Post 15

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The TV deal struck with BBC and SKY in 2021 brings £8m per season into the women's game.

£6m of that is shared among WSL teams whilst the remaining £2m goes to WSL Championship teams.

So with 12 sides in the WSL, Brighton receive around £500,000.

Compare that with the Premier League's income from broadcasting deals breaking £10bn over the next 3 seasons.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news...revenue-to-pass-uk10bn-over-next-three-years/

As far as the Lionesses go, Coventry, Bristol and Milton Keynes are hosting games in next month's 4 team Arnold Clark competition.

With double header games (England v Italy, then Korea v Belgium), the lowest ticket price at Coventry is £3.75, the highest is £11.25.

https://www.arnoldclarkcup.com/tickets/

This year they've opted for double header games as 12 months ago the non-England game attendances were 249, 119 and 877.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Arnold_Clark_Cup

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here