Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vydra

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
it wasn't just Vydra who came in on loan, we have six season-long loanees. SIX. It hasn't worked out, which is unsurprising. Almost all of them have underperformed, which is why we are languishing in 15th. Just goes to show!
If only there was some kind of template for failure you could have looked at.

(I believe the most we had was 7 loanees at any one time, in our relegation defying season).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I guess I have to disagree, if he does bag those goals then for me the loan fee was worth it. It does depend how you look at it, too, though. How much do you think Vydra would've cost to buy permanently on, say a 3 year contract? More than £6,000,000 I'd say. So in twisted sort of logic, £2m for 1 year makes sense. It's just a short-term gamble which hasn't paid off.

But Reading invested with a very short-term mindset this season thanks to Clarke who promptly tried to bugger off to Fulham when it started going wrong, it wasn't just Vydra who came in on loan, we have six season-long loanees. SIX. It hasn't worked out, which is unsurprising. Almost all of them have underperformed, which is why we are languishing in 15th. Just goes to show!

Overloading a team with loanee's is always a recipe for disaster, we've seen it more than once here under Adams Mk2 and then Hyypia. Loans should be used to plug gaps in the squad, they're not the basis to build a team around, as we have found out to our cost in the past.

Loan players often don't give a shit, and that's exactly how they perform. I didn't realise you had so many players on loan. That easily explains why you are where you are.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If only there was some kind of template for failure you could have looked at.

(I believe the most we had was 7 loanees at any one time, in our relegation defying season).

Yup. So many in fact that we ended up having to leave some of them out of the matchday squad, as you're not allowed more than 5. We seemed to be getting loans in for the sake of getting loans. Christ, we even brought Al Habsi in for that single appearance at the Muff, when we had Ankergren and Walton who could've covered. Madness.

Christ, last season really was a dogs dinner wunnit

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What an absolute dogs dinner the club made of last season.
Which is something we should NOW all be grateful about.

There's no way the team would be second, and the purse strings (considerably) loosened had it 'nearly' worked last season.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Took a Reading chum to the game and he really isn't a Vydra fan. Interesting to watch a game with 2 partisan views but he was clearly showing me his
- lack of work rate (compared to Knocky's closing down work)
- his poor movement off the ball
- his inability to get in the box
- the time he takes to shoot

He was also happy with both the Vydra and Knocky substitutions. I wonder if our coveting of Vydra isn't purely down to the 2 game against us for Watford.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I wonder if our coveting of Vydra isn't purely down to the 2 game against us for Watford.

It really isn't.

I was against forking out 2m fee + wages for a year loan, though clearly a mercenary, if utilised well he can be devastating.

If anyone honestly felt comfortable with Vydra running through our midfield and into our back line last night then hats off to you, you are more confident, or ignorant than I am.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yup. So many in fact that we ended up having to leave some of them out of the matchday squad, as you're not allowed more than 5. We seemed to be getting loans in for the sake of getting loans. Christ, we even brought Al Habsi in for that single appearance at the Muff, when we had Ankergren and Walton who could've covered. Madness.

Christ, last season really was a dogs dinner wunnit

That's really unfair. Al Habsi was our player for a whole MONTH*

*but committed to Oman's Gulf Cup campaign for three weeks of it... :jester:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
After a poor season, he now has too much to prove to risk that money.

Alternatively, if we rate him, it could be a great time to pick him up on the cheap after a poor season at Reading. He's possibly an upgrade on Baldock.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I wouldn't pay more than 1.5 mill for him, disappointing season at Reading and would demand fairly big wages. Do think he would be an upgrade on Baldock though if he rediscovered his confidence.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
After a poor season, he now has too much to prove to risk that money.

Only basing it on the deal at Reading, which was 2.5m fee with option of buying for 10m at the end was it?

Stock has definitely plumetted, but can't imagine watford selling for any less than 3m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here