Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo v Stockdale

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Keepers are expected to make 2 or 3 errors a season so I think that's harsh. Stockdale has made at least 10 I think that have lead to goals or been poor in goals we've conceded. All opinions but I don't think he's done well at all...

As you say it's all about opinions. I know I've been one of the people who've stood up for Stockdale but it's because I think he's treated really unfairly on here. He made a couple of mistakes earlier in the season and I think some fans turned against him. As a result, he now gets blamed for goals which are definitely not his fault. Saturday is a perfect example. I genuinely can't understand how anyone can blame him for the second Wigan goal but there are people, including you, who seem to be. Of the 10 mistakes you mention, I think Kuszczak probably did similar but because he was popular with the majority of fans, they didn't get brought up.

This whole situation with Virgo is a bit over the top but it was clearly a foul and I don't understand Virgo's (and many on NSC's) opinion that it was a Stockdale mistake.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As you say it's all about opinions. I know I've been one of the people who've stood up for Stockdale but it's because I think he's treated really unfairly on here. He made a couple of mistakes earlier in the season and I think some fans turned against him. As a result, he now gets blamed for goals which are definitely not his fault. Saturday is a perfect example. I genuinely can't understand how anyone can blame him for the second Wigan goal but there are people, including you, who seem to be. Of the 10 mistakes you mention, I think Kuszczak probably did similar but because he was popular with the majority of fans, they didn't get brought up.

This whole situation with Virgo is a bit over the top but it was clearly a foul and I don't understand Virgo's (and many on NSC's) opinion that it was a Stockdale mistake.

Exactly. The referee saw Rhodes push Stockdale, which made him drop the ball, & blew up immediately. No Blackburn player complained. Why Virgo has to make a public comment about it is anyone's guess. He may be a commentator/pundit, but it doesn't make him right.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Stockdale like many has had a poor season, Virgo is a decent pundit in my opinion. So I can't blame Virgs here. Stockdale should stay off Twitter and especially not go looking for negative comments from a week ago!! What's that about?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Oh great 2 saves , do you want me to list all his mistakes that have cost goals and points . By the way he is meant to be a keeper LOL and make the odd save , and in Stockdale case it is the odd save
Unless the mistake is that the final whistle, you can't stake any change in points are due to him.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Even if Millwall had caught us on points, we would have stayed up because of our massively superior goal difference, which is down to us having let in far fewer goals than anyone else around us, and a good number of teams above us, if it comes to that. This would imply that our defence, including the goalkeeper, has not done too badly this season.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I can't believe people are siding with Stockdale on this. He's been mouthing off at our fans for days (yes they've been giving him unnecessary stick, but stay professional and rise above it ffs) and now he is taking a swing at a highly-regarded ex-player for a tweet from a month ago?

Virgo is doing his job, why would anyone want him to constantly wear blue-and-white glasses when making observations? I for one would rather he gave honest opinions rather than brown-nosing our players.

Stockdale should wind his neck in and get his head down, and learn to take ****ing criticism whilst he is at it. Some of the people on here only defend him because they met him at the sponsors dinner or whatever and thus think that he is now their best mate...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't believe people are siding with Stockdale on this. He's been mouthing off at our fans for days (yes they've been giving him unnecessary stick, but stay professional and rise above it ffs) and now he is taking a swing at a highly-regarded ex-player for a tweet from a month ago?

Virgo is doing his job, why would anyone want him to constantly wear blue-and-white glasses when making observations? I for one would rather he gave honest opinions rather than brown-nosing our players.

Stockdale should wind his neck in and get his head down, and learn to take ****ing criticism whilst he is at it. Some of the people on here only defend him because they met him at the sponsors dinner or whatever and thus think that he is now their best mate...

If that's meant to be a dig at me, then look at posts I made before the dinner.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stockdale like many has had a poor season, Virgo is a decent pundit in my opinion. So I can't blame Virgs here. Stockdale should stay off Twitter and especially not go looking for negative comments from a week ago!! What's that about?

It's over a month ago, the Blackburn game.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Keepers are expected to make 2 or 3 errors a season so I think that's harsh. Stockdale has made at least 10 I think that have lead to goals or been poor in goals we've conceded. All opinions but I don't think he's done well at all...
Top class or lower league fodder?

Show me where there is a written rule of the two/three rule.

Surely it depends on the team. A Hyde FC keeper will see more of the ball than a top class team.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder if Virgo needs to be a bit careful, to be honest.

He might have got a move to Celtic, but being realistic, with the exception of one really good season, he was never any more than a wholehearted, journeyman lower league pro. He's doing alright in his TV career, but I imagine players at higher levels (not specifically Stockdale, but any Championship player) might start to take exception to being criticised by somebody who never really achieved anything other than being a regular in League One. I realise he's trying to make a name for himself, but that reputation will be no good if existing players, upon whom his livelihood depends, turn their backs on him. Hearing him slate Championship players smacks of Robbie Savage telling Ronaldo what he's doing wrong.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012

He might have got a move to Celtic, but being realistic, with the exception of one really good season, he was never any more than a wholehearted, journeyman lower league pro. He's doing alright in his TV career, but I imagine players at higher levels (not specifically Stockdale, but any Championship player) might start to take exception to being criticised by somebody who never really achieved anything other than being a regular in League One. I realise he's trying to make a name for himself, but that reputation will be no good if existing players, upon whom his livelihood depends, turn their backs on him. Hearing him slate Championship players smacks of Robbie Savage telling Ronaldo what he's doing wrong.

While that might be correct to some extent, it's pathetic. Some of the most perceptive commentators on football that I know have - as far as I know - never kicked a ball in anger, while some of the most banal and pointless commentators are Michael Owen. Frankly, existing players should get over themselves.

Not a comment on Stockdale in particular, by the way, although it appears that it could apply to him.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Agree, but also think DS should be careful too.

Footballers and Twitter, not really an ideal match.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Has not stopped Beagrie or Claridge making a go of it. Sky are forever wheeling out journeyman pundits to comment on players who make their own achievements look insignificant

Virgo is obviously doing something right as despite the level he largely played at he is in demand. He is paid to have an opinion and comment on games as he sees it. Does not mean he is right and Stockdale should know better that you will get positive and negative comments about your performances and not to actively seek out and whine everytime someone questions your ability.

No idea why he chose to search and dig that tweet out would be better off doing his talking on the pitch and everything from both after that point has not done either of them any favours

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
While that might be correct to some extent, it's pathetic. Some of the most perceptive commentators on football that I know have - as far as I know - never kicked a ball in anger, while some of the most banal and pointless commentators are Michael Owen. Frankly, existing players should get over themselves.

Not a comment on Stockdale in particular, by the way, although it appears that it could apply to him.

Yeah, I agree with you in the main. It's always annoyed me that the players who get the TV gigs are the ones with the high playing profiles, not necessarily the ones who are actually any good at what they do. I quite like Kevin Kilbane, for example- understated, intelligent, insightful. But he has to battle against the likes of Shearer, who offers a constant stream of inane banality & stating-the-bloody-obvious, and gets paid (no doubt) a whole lot more for it.

I just meant that one or two things Virgo may have come out with could end up coming back to bite him, that's all :)

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Stockdale has cost points but has also saved some.
Not sure he needed to go searching for the post but at the same time Virgo does talk some crap.
People that post these things from social want attention but in this case both should just keep stum as neither is making a convincing argument,.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here