Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vinyl

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
My mum found about 50 vinyls/45s whilst clearing out her loft.
No idea of tracks, but probably 30 odd years old.
Are they likely to be worth anything? Where should she go?

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Do vinyls actually sound better?

They seem to - Seems strange we have an inferior product in CD's and now people are moving to an even more inferior product in MP3 downloads. As someone else said I actually listen to music now rather than have it as background noise in the house. On itunes I keep flicking tracks on and skipping album tracks I dont know - I am convinced vinyl is teh best option sound wise - especially some of the 180g re masters

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Let's be having you - how do you all pronounce "vinyl"?

I say "v-eye-nill". Who says "vin-ill"?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I still have my vinyl LPs and singles from 1966 onwards. I can't give them away. I once sold a green vinyl edition of John Lennon's "Instant Karma". It was an instant regret.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
CD is technically the best commercially available quality in terms of bits and hz (16 bit 44.1khz). Digital downloads tend to be sold as MP3 (some stores sell WAV's) but higher quality is available professionally but not as an end user product. When tracks are mastered (given some audio gloss prior to sale) the final stage in the process is often to downgrade the sound quality to 16 bit WAV or MP3 ie commercially available formats.

I run a studio and in the past we have remastered tracks digitally from old vinyl (often because the original masters have long since dissappeared) and the results are fantastic. The warmth of the vinyl coupled with modern day production and mastering techniques is a gorgeous marriage. It is worth remembering that in professional studio's despite all the technology and computer processing power now at people's fingertips, there are still audio plug ins designed to add vinyl crackle and 50's/60's/70's valve/tube distortion to modern recordings.

Sorry if this is dull but discussions about audio and waveforms etc etc get me very excited!!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Depends on what it is, and what condition the vinyl, sleeves and inners are in.

Best check on eBay. A local dealer may be the other option but she's unlikely to get much for them that way.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Depends on what it is, and what condition the vinyl, sleeves and inners are in.

Best check on eBay. A local dealer may be the other option but she's unlikely to get much for them that way.

Sorry - was replying to Sam86. Quote didn't come out.

Helter Skelter

Nov 1, 2012
Southwick
They seem to - Seems strange we have an inferior product in CD's and now people are moving to an even more inferior product in MP3 downloads. As someone else said I actually listen to music now rather than have it as background noise in the house. On itunes I keep flicking tracks on and skipping album tracks I dont know - I am convinced vinyl is teh best option sound wise - especially some of the 180g re masters

I do buy and listen to albums, but I only have a stereo, so CD's are the next best thing to vinyl. I have a couple of old Beatles albums, but I can never listen to them as I don't have a record player. I would love to hear what those vinyls sound like, they're like a part of history.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Regarding selling off old vinyl.

I had about 300 diverse albums and found it difficult to give them away. We bought an expert book to give us likely prices but this is for prime 'unplayed' albums with pristine covers. In reality you will not get close. Mine had only ever been played on a LinnSondek but there was little credit for that.

Only certain gendres are worth money (mainly Northern Club music) but most collectors have what they want and are only upgrading if yours is pristine. Ebay is thwart with danger - how do you describe the condition of an Album when the buyer may find one or two pops and scratches you had not declared and then demands a refund or gives bad feedback.

Incidently I had about 2000 singles, mainly from the 60's, and was offerred more for the wooden boxes they were in!
Good luck

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Apart from DJ types, does anyone still choose vinyl over CD or digital these days? And I presume no one buys cassettes any more.

I'm being tempted as a fair number of new albums are being released in wax, and most seem to come with a CD or download thrown in.

I'm being tempted as a fair number of new albums are being released in wax, and most seem to come with a CD or download thrown in.[/QUOTE]

**** yeah HT, it's the only way for me. Went back to black plastic about 18 months ago when I had the same realisation, you know it makes sense. However, I'm getting seriously pissed off waiting for Bowie's new one to be released on vinyl, digital /cd was released on March 8 and all I've read about since is how good it is - vinyl not out until April 1 which means mid April before we get it here. The only downside (apart from it being about half as much again as a cd, here anyway) is that the vinyl copies do tend to take a good 2 to 3 weeks to be released after digital /cd, but IMHO it's worth the wait. The best thing is when you can get of hold of stuff direct from the bands websites - Eels newie arrived the day it was released (from the US) at less than I'd pay here for it and it's a limited orange double 10" gatefold, need to calm down now..... Another trend is that the 180gram stuff tends to be 2 records for one album which does get a bit frustrating when you have to get up after 2 tracks to flip it, but if you love touching vinyl like me it's not such a drama. We have a samll room between my sons bedroom and the hall which I pompously call "The Library" - full of records, books, cd's, cassettes, dvd's, blurays, boxes of old footy programmes and all my gig tickets - love that room.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I still have my vinyl LPs and singles from 1966 onwards. I can't give them away. I once sold a green vinyl edition of John Lennon's "Instant Karma". It was an instant regret.

someone will give you a rare record one day, if not instantly, it is written.....

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have no recommendations on particular decks. I leave that to others.

The secret I am told is in the stylus and the cartridge. Just because your deck comes with a standards cartridge and stylus doesn't mean you have to stick with it. And they can cost cash. You can spend £80-100 on a decent stylus and cartridge. I bought a Pickering for one of my decks and it is lovely.

All that said and done, my other deck has a bog standard stylus on it and it does the job. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't hear some of the crackle then you can't hear the history of the record.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have no recommendations on particular decks. I leave that to others.

The secret I am told is in the stylus and the cartridge. Just because your deck comes with a standards cartridge and stylus doesn't mean you have to stick with it. And they can cost cash. You can spend £80-100 on a decent stylus and cartridge. I bought a Pickering for one of my decks and it is lovely.

All that said and done, my other deck has a bog standard stylus on it and it does the job. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't hear some of the crackle then you can't hear the history of the record.

I've been looking at decks online. I took a look at some of the silly priced fancy turntables and cannot figure out if some are a bit 'minimal' but complete or are just spare parts.

Apr 14, 2012
digital sounds much better than vinyl, on vinyl all you can hear are crackles, cd's jump, and tapes take ages to rewind, digital is how all music should be listen too, vinyl is awful

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
digital sounds much better than vinyl, on vinyl all you can hear are crackles, cd's jump, and tapes take ages to rewind, digital is how all music should be listen too, vinyl is awful

Very good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here