Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I love your enthusiasm. How have you “reorganised”? When me and the, now wife, moved in together we planned to combine and share everything. We hit a problem when it came to combining our substantial CD and vinyl collections. One, I’m rather precious and protective of mine. She is of hers. Two, she wanted to organise by genre whilst I, correctly, wanted them alphabetical. We never resolved this so the sat side-by-side...I had one wall, she had another. I use past tense as they’re temporarily in storage.

Which records did you buy?

That is tough, luckily the records are all mine so no such discussions in my house.

I have just finished alphabetically organusing them. they have been organinsed by genre/decade for years but I thought I would try something different as i always tie myself in knots trying to decide where stuff goes. Does the Stone Roses go in 80's or 90's indie?? etc etc etc

I bought, Legend: Bob Marley, Strung out in Heaven; Brian Jonestown Massacre, Parallel Lines; Blondie, Faith and 17 Seconds: The Cure, The Bends: Radiohead, Check Your Head: Beastie Boys, Second Hand Smoke: Sublime. - Maybe not quite 10 :(

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Had a tantrum this weekend.

Was away up north on Saturday night. Came back yesterday to discover that my other half had played some of my vinyl collection and LEFT THE PLAYED RECORDS ON THE DINING ROOM TABLE AND NOT PUT THEM BACK IN THEIR ALPHABETICAL PLACE IN THE CUPBOARD. She also left the last disc she played on the turntable.

I mean - how do you deal with that?

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester

Was away up north on Saturday night. Came back yesterday to discover that my other half had played some of my vinyl collection and LEFT THE PLAYED RECORDS ON THE DINING ROOM TABLE AND NOT PUT THEM BACK IN THEIR ALPHABETICAL PLACE IN THE CUPBOARD. She also left the last disc she played on the turntable.

I just tutted out loud & shook my head at that!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Divorce.

I have taken a sharp intake of breath followed by teeth sucking and tutting each and every time any member of my family has gone anywhere near my vinyl. Seems to have done the trick as no-one has taken me up on my offer to 'teach' them how to play a record.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Has anyone catalogued their record collection on Discogs? I did a lot of mine when I was on gardening leave a few years back. I loved it, sifting through all the old LPs and singles and adding them to my collection. You get an idea of the value of each record too, depending on the condition of it.

I had to sell a lot of my old punk stuff when I had a spell of unemployment about 15 years back, and I so wish I hadn't! Stuff I sold on Ebay for £12 - 15 now going for £50 or £60 a pop! Even so, Discogs reckons my collection comes in at around £20k - I should really think about some insurance!

Also, while I'm here :p

View attachment 121566

I haven't catalogued yet but have had a sneaky look at some values.

Maggot Brain by Funkadellic and Sally Cinnamon came out on top.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is it too late to add a poll to this thread? I am interested to know who people organise their collections.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have my records in a mix of arrangements . . . For some reason I have souls, reggae and blues separate . . . Then new wave late 70's/early 80's . . . Then a 90's to new section . . . Everything else is A-Z. I know where everything is, no one else does!

Then theres some more in cases from DJing ( psych etc ) and a cupboard full of singles

632131C6-FA63-4EA4-B4EA-6D09989CF39E.jpeg

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have my records in a mix of arranfements . . . For some reason I have souls, reggae and blues separate . . . Then new wave late 70's/early 80's . . . Then a 90's to new section . . . Everything else is A-Z. I know where everything is, no one else does!

Then theres some more in cases from DJing ( psych etc ) and a cupboard full of singles

View attachment 125476

Nice idea, up until today I had a section of records that are on high rotation. this got me a bit lazy and I was just grabbing them. Sorting them took me a bit deeper.

Northern Sulphuric Soul by Rae and Christian, Central reservation by Beth Orton and You want it back by Propellerheads and Jungle brothers (12") were enjoyable finds from the 90's

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have been testing speakers recently so have been digging deeper . . I got rid of a few hundred albums a year or two ago, but fished out some oddities from the 90's I must have been stoned when I procured. Still feel the rain - Stex . . . . Sexy MF picture disc . . . . A lot of the early 90's vinyl, Blur and Suede is poor quality vinyl. The polar opposite of 60's Stax type stuff, which are like paving slabs and have proper bass/volume

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Is it too late to add a poll to this thread? I am interested to know who people organise their collections.

Artist alphabetical order, then original release date of album.

So Elvis Costello would be under 'C' Then

My Aim is True (original 1977)
My Aim is True (Remaster 2001)
My Aim is True (Deluxe 2007)
This Year's Model (original 1978)
This Year's Model (Remaster 2002)
This Year's Model (Deluxe 2008) .......

The 2 1/2 Years editions of the same albums remain within that box set and are later in the filing as released in 1993.

My wife has far fewer records than I do, but has no system and therefore has problems finding a particular record to play. From time to time I do organise into alphabetical order but it never stays that way. :rant:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

Is of course the correct answer

Sad barstad moment here

Back in my late teens I used to have my very own top 40
Each week I'd count how many times I played a certain record,then compile my own charts

I wished I'd kept them,would have made interesting reading today
But I do remember the Stranglers being number one an awful lot :D

Used to have a thing for buying imports
But then I'd never play them

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

That's almost like being burgled

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

So Elvis Costello would be under 'C' Then

My Aim is True (original 1977)
My Aim is True (Remaster 2001)
My Aim is True (Deluxe 2007)
This Year's Model (original 1978)
This Year's Model (Remaster 2002)
This Year's Model (Deluxe 2008) .......

The 2 1/2 Years editions of the same albums remain within that box set and are later in the filing as released in 1993.

My wife has far fewer records than I do, but has no system and therefore has problems finding a particular record to play. From time to time I do organise into alphabetical order but it never stays that way. :rant:

When I first read “but she has no system” I immediately thought you meant hifi system ie you wouldn’t let her use yours and she didn’t have one of her own. I also thought, harsh, but fair and understandable.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
This is my collection

The very left hand side cube is all Genesis related including solo projects and is in order by artist and release date. The next two are my records in no order at all, I keep meaning to order them and as you can see I don't have many so would be easy to do. Those two contain a mix of artists and genres, from Led Zep, Daft Punk, Fleetwood Mac, and Pink Floyd and many other. The last cube is my husbands. I don't know how he orders his. He is not into records as much as me and prefers digital music. He has "Innous Zen mini" which he loads CDs on to it and plays them from an app, it's a very neat device.

IMG_2242.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I ordered mine as and when I bought them. Catalogued them in a book too. But also made the mistake of putting a numbered sticker on each one too :blush:

When I get home later I'll try and take some photos and see if I can post them here.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
A friend of mine orders his by the release date. Mine are by alphabetical order, in the main but I have a few listed by genre eg Motown and Disco/Dance records. I’ve also got them separated into two main areas, those that I play most, cleaned, those that are played least and mostly need cleaning.

F6AF0188-2ABB-44DA-9699-83F97D8CACEA.jpeg

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can't seem to upload any photos from my phone or laptop. I always used to be able to.

Just says file failed. No indication whether it's due to size or anything. Anyone any ideas?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This is my collection

The very left hand side cube is all Genesis related including solo projects and is in order by artist and release date. The next two are my records in no order at all, I keep meaning to order them and as you can see I don't have many so would be easy to do. Those two contain a mix of artists and genres, from Led Zep, Daft Punk, Fleetwood Mac, and Pink Floyd and many other. The last cube is my husbands. I don't know how he orders his. He is not into records as much as me and prefers digital music. He has "Innous Zen mini" which he loads CDs on to it and plays them from an app, it's a very neat device.

View attachment 125482

And a superb collection of MAgic roundabout figures :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here