Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa to be sold to Chinese. Di Matteo as Manager

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Villa are an absolute shambles from top to bottom, and have been for years. That club will NOT be completely turned round within the space of a summer transfer window. They'll be midtable at best IMO.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
with the quality of managers and squads in the championship next season, i have a horrible feeling that this year was our big chance!

benitez and Di matteo in the championship for goodness sake!...and Owen Coyle at Blackburn!

Last edited:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Well it hasn't got any easier has it - hard year ahead for us - but if we play the sort of football we did this season it will be good whatever happens.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yet to be convinced by this takeover. If you look at the links I posted earlier in the thread, there's at least one very shady character involved and it still seems that nobody actually knows where the money is coming from.

Just because they've promised RD and SC a pile of cash doesn't mean it will happen. And Villa need a bloody big pile of cash to sort them out.

I'd hold off on the doom and gloom for now if I were you.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Yet to be convinced by this takeover. If you look at the links I posted earlier in the thread, there's at least one very shady character involved and it still seems that nobody actually knows where the money is coming from.

Just because they've promised RD and SC a pile of cash doesn't mean it will happen. And Villa need a bloody big pile of cash to sort them out.

I'd hold off on the doom and gloom for now if I were you.

I agree!

This Xia character is already on record as saying "We will have a budget from £20m to £30m to £40m to £50m."

Making your available funding public is a ridiculously foolish thing to do, but then to be so flaky about it by spouting several different figures is even more bizarre.

Something else that struck me as odd was a line in the Birmingham Mail yesterday which states:

"Villa targeted managers who were out of work to avoid paying compensation fees as improving the playing squad is thought to be more important."

So this implies that potentially better managerial appointments weren't even considered, which seems somewhat short-sighted to me, and the reference to the playing squad also implies that there may also be a bottom to Xia's wallet after all.

Then consider that the guy has been spouting stuff about not only promotion to the Premier League, but top six, European football, and even making Villa one of the top three sides in world football.

Surely a smart cookie would be managing expectations rather than promising the moon on a stick?

Villa fans are lapping it all up on their forum though!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No they don't - they've got very good players already. BG has said so! Play-offs at least, don't you think?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have said many times when on our unbeaten run that this was our year if not it will not happen for another 3 years and I will stick by that. By all means bounce this in May if I am wrong.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They have some very good players who just need knocking into shape which Di Matteo and Clarke will do.

no they dont. they have less than a handfull of once decent players who had lost their way before last season.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I have said many times when on our unbeaten run that this was our year if not it will not happen for another 3 years and I will stick by that. By all means bounce this in May if I am wrong.

I don't know why you say for 3 seasons, but I fear your right about this season. So I hope this season will be about playing good entertaining football and where ever we end up, we end up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't know why you say for 3 seasons, but I fear your right about this season. So I hope this season will be about playing good entertaining football and where ever we end up, we end up.

I think TB works in 3 year cycles of supplying the funds for transfers, or that is how it appears.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think TB works in 3 year cycles of supplying the funds for transfers, or that is how it appears.

I always thought he went by FFP. Last season we could make a bigger loss than previous seasons, so we spent more than previous seasons, so we spent more.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Kinda bizarre that next season there will be two managers in the English second tier who've won the Champions League.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
I think I'm right in saying that the Championship now has as many Champions League winning managers as any other league in the world (I believe only the prem and la liga also have 2). Champions League winners and yet still not the best managers in the division.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Di Matteo was the manager I wanted us to sign after Gus left, and again when Oscar went.

He would be a very good signing for Villa

It seems that I know absolutely nothing about what it takes to be a successful manager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here