Views on DK - has he handled this well?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
What's our opinion on DK through all of this?

I personally think he has come out of this really well.

1) Asked Madejski to delay while we went through run of games
2) Maintained dignity of club - asking Coppell not to piss us about
3) Negotiated an excellent compensation package if all the speculation is true
4) Came across as someone who is trusted by managers (oops, I mean ex-managers)
5) Erm... took the moral high ground and won??!!

What does everyone else think?

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
I cannot say that i have seen anything wrong with Dick Knights handling of the situation, given that Coppell showed his reluctance to come back in the summer.

However, he should be judged on how long it takes him to find a new manager, who that is, and where the compensation goes!

I think that he is using the situation to support Falmer very well. It would be interesting to know how big a factor Falmer really was to Coppell, and how much the club stressed that point to their advantage.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Agree on all points

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that DK reflects the club (team, backroom staff, fans) spirit.

Maybe more than just a coincidence ?

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
DK does indeed take an age to get a man in, but has a good track record for bringing in good managers, even if they use us to propel themselves further up the football food chain.

I never get upset about the time it takes as the nucleus of our squad could pretty much play without a manager. Good pro's.

As I read before on here, we need someone with good contacts and who is good at assessing forthcoming opposition for tactical purposes.

Don't need a great dressing room motivator (I doubt Coppell was a shouting or table banging type) as the squad has a proven team spirit and seems very self motivated.

Jul 21, 2003
compensation looks like good thing but he shouldve opend door for him and slammed it behind him and not pleaded with him to stay at end day SC 'kicked' him in the walnuts by his actionand at end day DK is an Albion fan so **** OFF COPPELL GOOD RIDDANCE to sumarise DK done ok but remeber he wias stupid IMHO to appoint SC in 1st place

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Harold said:
DK does indeed take an age to get a man in, but has a good track record for bringing in good managers, even if they use us to propel themselves further up the football food chain.

I never get upset about the time it takes as the nucleus of our squad could pretty much play without a manager. Good pro's.

As I read before on here, we need someone with good contacts and who is good at assessing forthcoming opposition for tactical purposes.

Don't need a great dressing room motivator (I doubt Coppell was a shouting or table banging type) as the squad has a proven team spirit and seems very self motivated.

An interesting point of view and one I largely agree with. The only mistake DK has made with managers recently was to repeat the Wood mistake with Hinshelwood. But there he was looking for loyalty. There is certainly a case for getting in someone who will (A la Taylor) get us another championship, even if the risk of that is that we then lose them again. I think the current situation has been handled admirably.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Football Genius aka FG said:
compensation looks like good thing but he shouldve opend door for him and slammed it behind him and not pleaded with him to stay at end day SC 'kicked' him in the walnuts by his actionand at end day DK is an Albion fan so **** OFF COPPELL GOOD RIDDANCE to sumarise DK done ok but remeber he wias stupid IMHO to appoint SC in 1st place

Yeah but slamming a door shut tends to p-iss managers off,so this route is the best way sadly.

I think dick has been honest and can not fault him on this situation which is rare ha ha.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's not a situation that DK can do much about. Bigger club (at the moment) comes in for manager, higher division, better players, more money, better stadium and set-up - there's only one outcome. He can be completely judged on the new one though, where the recent record is mixed.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Tooting Gull said:
It's not a situation that DK can do much about. Bigger club (at the moment) comes in for manager, higher division, better players, more money, better stadium and set-up - there's only one outcome. He can be completely judged on the new one though, where the recent record is mixed.

Better players im not sure about that to be honest as last season in the 1st was a poor division and we could have easily finished top 10 if we had a manager etc.

Yes they have the goat and sidwell and forster,but the rest are very average.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
He did everything right. He could have refused permission to talk but then Coppell might well have 'done a Pardew' in any case. In terms of compensation it seems he has done very well.

However, as has been pointed out, it all depends on who now gets the job. If it Rix or the like then any good work will be forgotten.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I think Knight handled the situation very well and has come out of this very well unlike Madge at Reading!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Football Genius aka FG said:
silent hasnt been honest he said he has a manager lined up at least thats wot been reported so where is htis manager wehy delay telling us???

I don't think DK has said that he had a manager lined up. Various people have posted words to that effect on this board, but the words haven't come from Dick himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports