Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He seemed a miserable so and so at the sponsors dinner, sitting apart from the other players, getting the hump when the opposition scored against his team on the tv screens and was teased about it. My first hand account.

He's shy, he understands only a little English at the best of times let alone an environment where there's tipsy or drunk people and then you decide to take the piss out of his team.

Yes...definitely his attitude that stinks.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Don't have the stats to hand, but my recollection of the games where he started was that we tried to channel everything through him and our shape went. My feeling is that we didn't do very well as a team when he played and results suffered. Just an impression - I could be wrong and would love to see some stats.

Our style under Oscar would suit him better I think. Getting the ball to him quicker, more through the middle. The tempo under Poyet was too pedestrian for him much of the time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's shy, he understands only a little English at the best of times let alone an environment where there's tipsy or drunk people and then you decide to take the piss out of his team.

Yes...definitely his attitude that stinks.

It was the other players who were giving him banter. I spoke to him when Calde was near him so that he could translate. Read other Nsc'ers version of the evening. I don't think anyone got drunk.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It was the other players who were giving him banter. I spoke to him when Calde was near him so that he could translate. Read other Nsc'ers version of the evening. I don't think anyone got drunk.

I don't doubt your version of events, but I'm not sure what conclusions you can draw from that regarding his influence on the dressing room. Do exceptionally talented players have to be the life and soul of the party too, or can they just be respected by their fellow professionals and left to do the talking on the pitch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't doubt your version of events, but I'm not sure what conclusions you can draw from that regarding his influence on the dressing room. Do exceptionally talented players have to be the life and soul of the party too, or can they just be respected by their fellow professionals and left to do the talking on the pitch.

Players don't have to be the life & soul of the party to be anti social. There are plenty of Spanish speaking players he could converse with but seemed withdrawn and reluctant to join in with fans.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Players don't have to be the life & soul of the party to be anti social. There are plenty of Spanish speaking players he could converse with but seemed withdrawn and reluctant to join in with fans.

But how is that relevant to this rumoured detrimental effect on the dressing room?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The fact remains when Vicente was playing know one in the league came close.

Can you explain that? Do you mean no one was as good as him (when he was playing well - and not being sulky) or do you mean no one in the league could get close to our team when Vicente was playing? The first is correct - the second incorrect.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Perhaps he's not comfortable in those situations. I think this says more about your expectations from players rather than him being anti-social.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Can you explain that? Do you mean no one was as good as him (when he was playing well - and not being sulky) or do you mean no one in the league could get close to our team when Vicente was playing? The first is correct - the second incorrect.

For your piece of mind it was the first.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Glenn Murray comes across as a miserable shit in social situations.

I'd have him back too.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Has he even had a pre season??? Great player no doubt, but you just know he would be out injured all the time. Surely the money could be spent better elsewhere. Saying that IF he was fit and that is a massive if, he is no doubt a fantastic player.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Would love to see him back. I get the feeling there was a lot going on behind the scenes with him and Poyet and would like to see him get a proper run with OG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here