[News] Very loud aircraft(?) around 5-45am this morning?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Apparently it was thunder :shrug:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Saw something on Twitter about a plane with engine trouble but that was Essex. Guessing it might have been thunder but all very weird.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Was Southwick tunnel closed while this was going on.......?:whistle:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We heard it in Seaford some time around 5.30am from memory. Definitely didn't sound like thunder and it occurred twice, the second noise a couple of minutes after the first.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There were a couple of long haul flights due into Gatwick shortly after 6am and a larger number due into Heathrow from 5am. Weather-related change of usual flight approach maybe?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There were a couple of long haul flights due into Gatwick shortly after 6am and a larger number due into Heathrow from 5am. Weather-related change of usual flight approach maybe?

Go on admit it, you're a spotter.
All those days during your childhood in the glens, pointing at aircraft :whistle:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I heard it as well. I looked at Flightradar24 straight away and it seemed to be a private jet that took off from Reykjavik. I’m not sure where it was going though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Saw this flying down our road around that time.

94DD4936-7BE3-4607-8DC9-C6874FBFE43C.jpeg

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
According to https://webtrak.emsbk.com/lgw2 there was a BA flight from Bridgetown to Gatwick coming along the coast at that time;

View attachment 116275

Descending and losing airspeed ready for landing - engines on little more than tick-over - wouldn't have awoken anyone at 7,500 feet

If it were right noisy, I'd be thinking military - at that time of day and that location, unlikely to be training ....

If it were a fast jet, the noise would be gone withing 5-10 seconds - if it lingered, might have been the police chopper?

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Descending and losing airspeed ready for landing - engines on little more than tick-over - wouldn't have awoken anyone at 7,500 feet

If it were right noisy, I'd be thinking military - at that time of day and that location, unlikely to be training ....

If it were a fast jet, the noise would be gone withing 5-10 seconds - if it lingered, might have been the police chopper?

It was definitely not the police helicopter, sounded very much like a plane and very loud indeed.all very strange and heard over quite a distance it seems. it did indeed linger, it wasn't like seeing the red arrows whoosh by.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports