Venues: Green Store Room / Sticky Mike's / The Haunt

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Funnily enough I was in The Green Door Store last night to see amazing and truelly beautiful EMA play. Highlights were a Violent Femmes cover and final song California. If you get the chance to see her play then take it. Voice is captivating as is she!!!! Venue is small but has a smoking area outside and if you want to go only for a drink then you can as bar is separate to where band plays.
Sticky Mikes is, as already mentioned, Jam. I saw Melt Banana play a year ago and could not see the band at all. The ceiling is low and so is stage. Avoid unless its a band you really really like. In which case arrive early and set up camp at front. I have done this and smuggled some whisky in to avoid having to visit the bar.
Haunt is larger and less grimey than the other two. Stage is higher and whole place a touch more professional. If that makes sense. Drinks in here are expensive and no draught lager- cans and bottles when I last went
Hope this helps.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Funnily enough I was in The Green Door Store last night to see amazing and truelly beautiful EMA play. Highlights were a Violent Femmes cover and final song California. If you get the chance to see her play then take it. Voice is captivating as is she!!!! Venue is small but has a smoking area outside and if you want to go only for a drink then you can as bar is separate to where band plays.
Sticky Mikes is, as already mentioned, Jam. I saw Melt Banana play a year ago and could not see the band at all. The ceiling is low and so is stage. Avoid unless its a band you really really like. In which case arrive early and set up camp at front. I have done this and smuggled some whisky in to avoid having to visit the bar.
Haunt is larger and less grimey than the other two. Stage is higher and whole place a touch more professional. If that makes sense. Drinks in here are expensive and no draught lager- cans and bottles when I last went
Hope this helps.

I was there last night too! She is a really good performer. The Grey Ship was my favourite. Violent Femmes cover was great too.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was there last night too! She is a really good performer. The Grey Ship was my favourite. Violent Femmes cover was great too.

I got familiar with her stuff when cd was released. Amazed she is not playing larger venues. Maybe in time she will.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm thinking about putting on a gig for my 40th at either GDS, The Albert or another venue. Anyone have any ideas on capacity or ability to hire out any of those three for private functions?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Myself and my business partner (who runs pop not pop at the GDS) took over and created sticky mikes frog bar 2 months ago. i promise you it no longer smells of vomit and is ace, we do pretty cheap drinks too. GDS is ace, personally cant stand the haunt.

go here to see whats going on

Sticky Mike's Frog Bar | Brighton | Drink in Brighton - pubs, bars, clubs, venues and event listings

Good luck with your ventures. Anyone prepared to put on smaller bands in decent conditions deserves success. I was given a flyer last night at GDS and I can confirm you have some decent nights planned.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Myself and my business partner (who runs pop not pop at the GDS) took over and created sticky mikes frog bar 2 months ago. i promise you it no longer smells of vomit and is ace, we do pretty cheap drinks too. GDS is ace, personally cant stand the haunt.

Sticky Mike's Frog Bar | Brighton | Drink in Brighton - pubs, bars, clubs, venues and event listings

I have some mates who are in a band looking for gigs what would be the best way for them to potentially get a gig at your place?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got familiar with her stuff when cd was released. Amazed she is not playing larger venues. Maybe in time she will.

I agree with all the EMA sentiments. A great artist and performer. Her CD will be in my 2011 top 10 for sure. I saw her play the court yard behind The Globe at The Great Escape.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm thinking about putting on a gig for my 40th at either GDS, The Albert or another venue. Anyone have any ideas on capacity or ability to hire out any of those three for private functions?

We looked at the Albert for our wedding reception. I'd say capacity is 150. Easy to hire out if you book well in advance. We ended up going with the The Freebutt in the end though.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Paolo v Evans would make a great support act, I'd pay to see that, hope you had a good time at Crawley

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw The War On Drugs at The Haunt last night. Great gig.

The venue can do one at £3.70 a CAN of lager though. They have no draught drinks at all, and the spirits are just as pricey apparently. No wonder they search everyone's bags as you go in.

Contrast this to Sticky Mikes where we met up for pre-gig drinks, under £3 a pint for something decent in much much better surroundings.

£3.70 for f**king can of lager. And before someone says "you don't have to buy it." I can assure you from now on I won't.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The venue can do one at £3.70 a CAN of lager though. They have no draught drinks at all, and the spirits are just as pricey apparently. No wonder they search everyone's bags as you go in.

Contrast this to Sticky Mikes where we met up for pre-gig drinks, under £3 a pint for something decent in much much better surroundings.

£3.70 for f**king can of lager. And before someone says "you don't have to buy it." I can assure you from now on I won't.

Yeah, I feel your pain bruvla. It's annoying cuz It is Still 1985 is always fun. Answer is to get really drunk before or smuggle a bottle of Mount Gay in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, I feel your pain bruvla. It's annoying cuz It is Still 1985 is always fun. Answer is to get really drunk before or smuggle a bottle of Mount Gay in.

They were rigorously searching bags last night, I'll have to slip a few minutures down my pants I think.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
(Shameless Self-promotion)

Well, after all that it turns out that my band - The Veta Corps - is actually playing at the 'Symptomatic' night @ Sticky Mike's tonight. We'll be onstage 8:30pm, supporting The Experimental Pop Band. Make sure you come on down and check us out!

In case you need convincing - we just released our new single and the vid is here on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTlkzxAn_rY&fb_source=message

cheers

Mick

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
really enjoyed my gig at the Haunt in February, really good sound system and decent stage

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here