Venues: Green Store Room / Sticky Mike's / The Haunt

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Has anyone has been to these three venues? I'd never heard of them until, well, today. But i haven't been for a night out in Brighton for ages :down:

Green Store Room is by the station, but there's not alot of info on their website. Sticky Mike's i can get even less info from the ents website. But both appear to have 'signed' bands playing in the next few weeks.

The Haunt, down by the coach park and pier, might've been around for a while (perhaps under a different name?) but the War On Drugs gig on friday night is the first time i've known of a band playing there. But, as i said, i know feck all.

I'm particularly looking for people's experiences/info of live band nights.

ta

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been to all three to see live bands.

All are similar capacity, I'd say 200-250. The stages are quite low in all three venues so you will need to be near the front although The Haunt has a mezzanine which you can view the stage from. Sticky Mikes is a brilliant space, live venue is downstairs but they have a nicely turned out and large bar and smoking area upstairs. It does have a very low stage though. This said I have never had an issue as I have always got near the front. The Green Door is a lovely venue as well. The Pop Not Pop night is quality. The Haunt is a bit bland decor wise.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good gig at the Green Door tonight, Otis Gibbs if you are into politicised Americana. He is fabulous.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone has been to these three venues? I'd never heard of them until, well, today. But i haven't been for a night out in Brighton for ages :down:

Green Store Room is by the station, but there's not alot of info on their website. Sticky Mike's i can get even less info from the ents website. But both appear to have 'signed' bands playing in the next few weeks.

The Haunt, down by the coach park and pier, might've been around for a while (perhaps under a different name?) but the War On Drugs gig on friday night is the first time i've known of a band playing there. But, as i said, i know feck all.

ta

For live band info get onto Rounder Records email distn list. Everything you need to know about gigs in our city is in this. They are also some of the most helpful people you will meet. You mention War on Drugs (brilliant band eh?), I went to purchase some tickets. Rounder had sold out but they rang Resident and sourced me 4 from them. Their album club is damn fine as well.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove

ta

I seem to recall a thread recently where [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] and possibly [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] were discussing gigs at one of the venues that you mention ... Maybe they can shed some light?

Also I may have dreamt it but possibly [MENTION=13620]shoreham moonraker[/MENTION] is involved in running one of the venues in your list.

I've not visted any of them, was hoping to get down to the Green Door Store tonight for Otis Gibbs but the Missus has plans so I'm stuck at home watching the kids ...

EDIT: Looks like I was a bit late with that reply ...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I seem to recall a thread recently where [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] and possibly [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] were discussing gigs at one of the venues that you mention ... Maybe they can shed some light?

Also I may have dreamt it but possibly [MENTION=13620]shoreham moonraker[/MENTION] is involved in running one of the venues in your list.

I've not visted any of them, was hoping to get down to the Green Door Store tonight for Otis Gibbs but the Missus has plans so I'm stuck at home watching the kids ...

EDIT: Looks like I was a bit late with that reply ...

Mmmmm..Rings a bell. I do ramble on a lot though....and at my age its difficult to remember the detail :)

You are correct about Shoreham Moonraker.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
The Haunt in Pool Valley is pretty good, formerly the Koo Club/Music Library and is now run by the people behind New hero, taking their club nights with them. I've not been there for a gig yet (only for nights out), though will be heading there to see a few people over the coming months.

It seems to have a nice setup and given the quality of bands and artists they have been getting to play there of late, I can imagine it being the nearest Brighton might get in terms of a new Freebutt.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are they new venues, or are they old venues re-branded?

Green Door is brand spanking new, but a very very old room in the basement of the station. Sticky Mikes was Sumo, Jamm and Watermargin before. The Haunt was Koo and Music Library amongst others.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's called the Green Door Store and is one of my favourite venues. Never heard of Sticky Mike's and not been to the haunt.

Edit: Just seen Herr's post above. f*** knows why they keep changing the name of the Jam/Watermargin. It's just shit. You can't polish a turd. Although I've seen good bands in there, it's sweaty, overpriced, smells of vomit and is impossible to see the band if there are more than a few people in there (and I'm tall) and has the wankiest bouncers in Brighton (though perhaps they've changed these at last?)

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It seems to have a nice setup and given the quality of bands and artists they have been getting to play there of late, I can imagine it being the nearest Brighton might get in terms of a new Freebutt.

Sticky Mikes's live line up is very close to the Freebutt. Party because Andy Freebutt now manages the place.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Green Door is brand spanking new, but a very very old room in the basement of the station. Sticky Mikes was Sumo, Jamm and Watermargin before. The Haunt was Koo and Music Library amongst others.
Thanks, but I'm none the wiser, I haven't heard of any of them! I'm more an 'upstairs at the Albert' and 'Freebutt' bloke myself (Showing my age as I know live music is currently not on at the 'butt).

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Go go go they are all f***ing brilliant. Green Door is the grimiest, Sticky Mike's is the most "intimate" (f***ing hate that word) and Haunt is wicked apart from the shit drinks, plus they're all run by proper Brighton people and music loverrrrs now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks, but I'm none the wiser, I haven't heard of any of them! I'm more an 'upstairs at the Albert' and 'Freebutt' bloke myself (Showing my age as I know live music is currently not on at the 'butt).

Come out of the Albert - over Trafalgar Street, straight across past St Martin's Vintners, across some wasteground between the station and those 1990s office blocks, and Green Door is there on the left - propping up Brighton Station.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
plus they're all run by proper Brighton people and music loverrrrs now.

This is a very good point. All three places are run for the right reasons, and not by tossers. If anyone ever went to The Ocean Rooms you'll know what I mean.

There some bloody good Brighton gigs coming up in Autumn as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports