Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vasectomy....

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Interesting - any comments on the reversal? I'm going to have mine reversed too sometime reasonably soon; but it's been closer to 20 years than 10.

On topic: my snip was fine - a bit of swelling, s'all. Errr - "production" was and is a little gloopier, but nothing to worry about. Not as gloopy as marmite though.

Gloopier is best for face painting pics!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
During post op an Aussie male nurse offered to make me a cuppa and whilst making the brew was singing ging gang goolie! Not sure whether it was a wind up or not.

When I went back to the waiting room to collect the missus she was chatting to a couple and I said to the chap not to worry as there was nothing to it. When we got outside she said that he was telling her he was there to have a boil removed!

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
Very straightforward except for the initial anesthetic, the injection was fine but needed a second one after I felt the scalpel doing it's job on the first incision, that wasn't the greatest feeling.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Straight from the horses mouth. ie Me:

I won't go into too much detail, but suffice to say that I had an internal bleed, my nuts ended up the size of a grapefruit, didn't work for 2/3 weeks, could hardly walk, spent most of my time lying down with my feet in the air. It still hurts today when it gets cold - had in done 10 years ago.

What fun

Similar, massive swollen nuts. Looked like Jordan down below, and solid except for my old fella which was flat as a pancake.

Just for reassurance the Doc said he was not sure if he cut the correct tubes.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Had mine in 1974. Op itself fine but 2 days of swelling and pain. Had to have it privately as NHS did not do it in those days. So, 3 of us agreed to a package deal to get the cost down. Think it was about £100 each which was a lot in those days. One wife chosen to drive the three of us home. She thought it great fun when we went over bumps in the road.

Anyway no problems or kids since.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Very straightforward except for the initial anesthetic, the injection was fine but needed a second one after I felt the scalpel doing it's job on the first incision, that wasn't the greatest feeling.

Exact same experience as me. I said "I can feel that" to which the doc replied that it's normal to feel tugging, to which I replied "no, I can feel you slicing". Anyhow, another injection and a few more minutes and everything was fine.no after effects at all, no soreness, just a great excuse to do nothing all weekend.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The injections were the most discomfort. After that it was painless. I was dropped off by my wife and due to the person before me cancelling, I was back out in just over 15 mins. My wife remarked shed waited longer at the dentist for me, to the point that initially she hadn't believed I'd had it done.

My advice is to listen to the instructions and ensure you do take the rest they suggest, any pampering on offer and sympathy is something to be embraced and take the pain relief on the routine even if you think you don't need it.

Apparently most issues with the op not working are linked to people not taking the 24 hrs on the sofa option.

The scars healed relatively quickly and I was back doing circuits and exercise in 2 weeks. I tried after 1 but it was a bit early so stopped.

I even had a night out with a few pints followed by violent vomiting food poisoning (from a Chinese) 3 days later without any additional discomfort than food poisoning normally causes

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Apart from the obvious, why would you have it done? As a 30 year old can't contemplate the thought of it

Its called family planning.
Once you have the number of kids you and your partner are happy with and you intend to spend the rest of your life together - its the obvious choice.

I had mine done in Haywards Heath about 20 years ago.
As others have said the worst bit is the initial anesthetic needle injection plus the awkwardness of another man fumbling around with your unmentionables ....
Couple of weeks "inactivity" before usual service resumed as a "jaffa"

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Feckin agony for weeks after, was my own fault though, went to a footie match the next day, all that jumping up and down and not wearing tight pants apparently....

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
The injections were a bit painful, needed a couple more half way through as well as when he changed sides I could feel everything. Worse bit is having a fifty year old bloke shaving your balls and the smell of burning when they cauterise the cuts :(

Had the next day off then went back to work. Fine ever since. Really not a big deal at all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The injections were a bit painful, needed a couple more half way through as well as when he changed sides I could feel everything. Worse bit is having a fifty year old bloke shaving your balls and the smell of burning when they cauterise the cuts :(

Had the next day off then went back to work. Fine ever since. Really not a big deal at all.

Should have paid for the premium service - I had a nice young nurse wielding the bic razor :)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Another memory was the nurse giving us very small sample bottles for the sperm testing.A fellow patient looked askance-the nurse sighed and said "get your wife to spit it in"!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I had it done about a year and a half ago on the NHS. The op was amazingly quick with no pain. Milked the laying on the sofa thing for 2 days but was actually fine after one. Week or so of feeling a bit tender, that's it.

A GP mate of mine (who never seems to get anything medical right) was giving me horror stories of pain and telling me to go private. But he was wrong, again.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
After four kids in five years, had mine in 1999 in my 40's so not sure if procedures have moved on in that time. Mine was under local anesthetic and in and out of the clinic the same morning. Uncomfortable experience but relatively pain free during the op.
After the local had worn off a few hours later it was very painful for a day or two and my nuts swelled up and resembled a couple of small ripe Aubergines.
Whilst I didn't really want to have a vasectomy at the time, it turned out to be one of my better decisions. Sex becomes care free and spontaneous when you remove the worry of contraception and unwanted pregnancy and you can chuck your (admitably a little bit gloopier) seed around with 'gay' abandon!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This. Although had a bit of seepage for a couple of days and it feels strange having padding around your balls. Bruised a bit but it didn't hurt. Strangest feeling was having a man play with your balls.

Mine was a woman, which made it worse, but she was a Consultant Surgeon, and that was 20 years ago.

Felt nothing. Drove home. A bit uncomfortable for a while but nothing serious.

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
No problems at all, but played on it ,and had three days on the sofa watching tv, with my wife at bringing me anything I wanted.although ,while waiting for my appointment ,the patient in before me ,appeared to come out crying, I asked the nurse this, and she said they were , tears of joy!

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
So after a recent scare I have decided to go for a vasectomy.

This thread is a little old so wondered if anyone has any recent experiences.

Private seems to be £500 so would rather NHS but what are the waiting list like?

We are 100% sure we only want the one child and he is great. I am getting on and am too tired and too poor to afford another one and chances are the next one will be broken anyway. (everyone I know with two kids the second one is a shit)

Wife feels the same so its time for the chop.

thoughts?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
So after a recent scare I have decided to go for a vasectomy.

This thread is a little old so wondered if anyone has any recent experiences.

Private seems to be £500 so would rather NHS but what are the waiting list like?

We are 100% sure we only want the one child and he is great. I am getting on and am too tired and too poor to afford another one and chances are the next one will be broken anyway. (everyone I know with two kids the second one is a shit)

Wife feels the same so its time for the chop.

thoughts?

Go to BPAS. Their urologists do dozens of VS a day. I was strongly advised to go to BPAS because they offer the best chance of not having bollocks like aubergines after the procedure:lolol:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I had it done about 20 years ago. It was very easy and with no problems. My abdomen felt tender for a few hours but was then fine the next morning.
After having two kids we decided that was enough for us. I had the vasectomy so that my wife could then come off the pill and it allowed us to not worry about any other contraception.
Getting it done was the best thing I ever did. I'd highly recommend it as a lifestyle choice.

My own anxiety before hand was the biggest problem. I needn't have worried.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here